Hughesnet Community

I need to get in contact with Hughesnet about data loss. One day into my data cycle and data is gone

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ryry117
Sophomore

I need to get in contact with Hughesnet about data loss. One day into my data cycle and data is gone

So this has happened three months in a row now. I'm in a computer field so i don't want to waste time with all the "Well are you sure you know what is using internet." because I am. The answer is there is no possible device in my house still using the internet and we are already at 0% on our 30GB data plan.

I've notice Hughesnet is pinning a lot of data loss advice posts, almost like they know this problem is internal and a lot of people are having this issue but they don't want to deal with it and they hope people just believe they are the ones at fault.

I just want to get in contact with someone at Hughesnet who can start running tests and determine what they need to do to fix this issue. I know for a fact it is on their end, especially after reading many related posts here.

If I need to give any info on here to get started let me know. Also I will need to be alerted to where Hughesnet is contacting me, if they try by email they might try going to one I don't use often.

Thank you, community members!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Right now I currently don't have any logs, since it looks like there aren't any devices connected to produce data usage activity. This could be simply you're not on the site and no one's using the service at this time. What I am able to see is the amount of data still remaining on the cycle, which currently shows me about 22 GB. I refreshed every couple of minutes to see if it shows any activity, but there was no change.

Seems like everything's in order based on your screenshots, that's great! There is a chance that the marginal alignment may have been causing packet loss which would show an increase of ghost data usage. I reviewed your account in the past to see if our logs showed any packet loss, and I did see between July and August is when this started. With that alignment being fixed, I would say that it's possible it fixed itself. 

-Brooke

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

You may have to run tests on your end before the reps are  able to help you. 

GabeU

@ryry117

The following is the test you will need to perform in order for the reps to help you.  The reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST, so that gives you time to run this test.  Please perform the test as outlined.  The test can be run even if you are out of plan data.  

The reps will contact you here, either in a reply or through PM on the upper right.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please perform the following test outlined in the graphic below. This is known as a modem isolation test, and it will help to determine whether the issue is with Hughesnet or your local network..

photo P2hSeDN.jpg

1: Disabled the WiFi in the HT2000W modem.
2: Take a screen capture of the HughesNet Usage Meter, along with the clock on your computer screen.
3: Disconnect the LAN cable from the modem, noting the date and time of disconnect.
4: Leave the LAN cable disconnected from the modem for several hours, HughesNet recommends doing this overnight, or during the day while at work.  DO NOT unplug the modem from the power.  The modem must remain powered.
5: Reconnect the LAN cable to the modem, noting the date and time of reconnect.
6: Take a screen capture of the HughesNet Usage Meter, along with the clock displayed on your computer.
7: Post your screens hots to the community.

Please DO NOT unplug the modem power after running the test.  The reps need to be able to reconcile the test results with the modem logs, and disconnecting the power from the modem erases those logs.  

Please be aware, if you downloaded any large files just prior to this test, or if the disconnect was for an extensive time period, some usage may appear to have occurred, but it should be rather negligible.

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF. Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchaining "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).

GabeU

@ryry117

I should add that, because the power needs to remain to the modem after running the test, it would probably be best to run the test the night before you present the snapshots.  This way there's less of a chance of the modem being unplugged, or losing power because of a storm, etc., between the time it was run and the time they view the data.  The less time between the test and the viewing, the better, in other words.  

Sounds good, thank you for all the info since I kind of had to just shout out in the dark here. I'll be starting the test now, and then unfortunately I will have to leave the property where my Hughesnet router is located for the week, so we'll see if the reps are ok with 3 hours of testing instead of overnight. Theoretically they can check the logs from the past week on their end and get some more info too.

ryry117
Sophomore

Plans have changed. Some friends came over and I really don't want to have the internet off with them here (even if it is pretty useless in its FAP state). So for any rep that sees this post can I please just get a confirmation that you are aware of it and I will begin the test and upload the results here sometime in the next two weeks when I get back. I can @ whatever rep responds here when I upload the test.

GabeU

@ryry117

I don't think that running the test over a longer than normal span of time would necessarily be an issue, but the longer the time span the greater the chance of a power interruption, which would cause the loss of the modem logs.    

The reps won't be back until tomorrow (Monday), but it may take them a day or two to reply.  

The one thing to consider, though, is having something plugged in and running while no one is going to be there.  If you're comfortable with that, I would start the test before you leave and get your disconnection snapshot.  If not, I would wait until you have more time at the property and just unplug the modem for the time you're going to be away.  

I'll tag a couple of reps so that they can give you a definitive answer.  Again, though, they may not reply before you leave.  

@Liz

@Amanda

Brooke
Alum

Hello ryry117, thanks for posting! I was able to locate and review your account. The first thing that caught my eye is that our logs show there has been 197 GB used within the past two days. Based on connection time, it looks like the only device that could be associated to that data is listed in the modem as "Ryan". Do you know what device that might be? 

-Brooke

@Brooke wrote:

197 GB used within the past two days.

👀 👀 👀

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

@Brooke wrote:

197 GB used within the past two days.

👀 👀 👀

I don't even know how that's possible.  Even if someone had the 50/50 plan, and they started from scratch, the other 97GB would still take a little over 77 hours at the top FAP speed of 3Mbps.  

Plus, the OP has the 30/50 plan, and they're apparently already out of data.  But, even if it had just rolled over, it still doesn't make sense.  I just don't get it.  

The only way I can see it is a LOT of data tokens.  

@Brooke wrote:

Hello ryry117, thanks for posting! I was able to locate and review your account. The first thing that caught my eye is that our logs show there has been 197 GB used within the past two days. Based on connection time, it looks like the only device that could be associated to that data is listed in the modem as "Ryan". Do you know what device that might be? 

-Brooke

@Brooke

Hi Brooke, thanks for the response!

Uh, yes, actually I do know what that device is... That is my main desktop computer that remains off when I am away. It normally remains off for a week at a time when I am away. I know it was off last week because when I arrived on Friday I had to turn it on. And I'm sure it is not turning itself on for updates and then turning back off, and it's not just in sleep mode or anything like that. It is a shutdown Windows 10 machine with automatic updates off.

@GabeU wrote:

don't even know how that's possible.  Even if someone had the 50/50 plan, and they started from scratch, the other 97GB would still take a little over 77 hours at the top FAP speed of 3Mbps.  

Plus, the OP has the 30/50 plan, and they're apparently already out of data.  But, even if it had just rolled over, it still doesn't make sense.  I just don't get it.  

The only way I can see it is a LOT of data tokens.  

@GabeU

Thanks for the input, Gabe.

I mean, like you said, we have the 30/50 plan. To me a number like 197GB seems sporradic. And that amount of data in 2 days when we have a normal download speed of 2.5mb when out of FAP when we're lucky. I have a network background but I have to give the benefit of the doubt that I don't know how Hughesnet's internal system works so maybe this isn't a glitch somewhere on their end...but yeah.

And no, we don't buy tokens. As long as I eventually get it fixed and since I'm not there all the time the constant FAP for now is tolerable but I know the problem isn't on our end so I'm not spending a cent on more data just for it to obliterate itself.

Not sure where we go from here but I thank you for this and future help brooke. Looking forward to whatever we try next to get this fixed. Like I said I'll be back out there on the 31st and can perform that data loss test then if that will help.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Just an FYI, Win10 doesn't fully shut down by default.  That's right, clicking "Shut Down" doesn't do a full shutdown like it did in the past.

https://www.howtogeek.com/349114/shutting-down-doesnt-fully-shut-down-windows-10-but-restarting-it-d...

Almost no modern devices perform a full shutdown anymore, most all of them remain in some form of sleep or hibernation, allowing for the network interface to generate traffic.

maratsade

"If you’re troubleshooting system problems, you’ll want to perform a full shut down of the kernel to ensure Windows reinitializes things from scratch. To do this, just click the “Restart” option in the menu instead of the “Shut Down” option. Windows restarts your computer, but it performs a full shut down first and discards the state of the kernel while doing so."

You learn something every day.

I have to say when I say the usage amount I was shocked too, I've never witnessed high numbers in our logs before. While it may have been a glitch or not, it's hard to say. The best way of narrowing down the cause will be the data depletion test that's been mentioned by Gabe. Once you're able to do that, that will help us determine what to do next. 

On a different note, while running further diagnostics, I see you have a marginal alignment so we definitely need to get a technician out there to re-align that dish for you. I'd advise to perform the data depletion test prior to the appointment, so that we can determine if we need to replace the modem as well. I've noted the technician to bring a modem, just in case. 

Your complimentary technician visit is currently scheduled for Saturday, Sep 1, 2018 between 08:00 AM-11:00 AM. You'll receive a call/text to confirm the appointment, or if you need to reschedule, please give us a call and reference the case number 114758863. 

If we don't get results from the data depletion test, please let me know so we can address the issue further. 

Appreciate your cooperation!

-Brooke

@Brooke

Thank you Brooke! That all sounds great. 

I'll post my data depletion test here as early Friday Aug 31 as I can.

and that appointment time sounds fine.

Also thank you guys for advice on Windows 10 but I was very much in the group not happy with Microsoft's big brother changes when they first came out and have made the necessary alterations to my system settings to keep them out and the system not going online without my say so. I hope others can use the advise posted though. Remain in control of your systems!

@Brooke

Hey Brooke, just an update. I completely forgot this weekend was Labor Day holiday weekend, so I actually wasn't yet on the property. Someone else was and as far as I know the appointment with the technitian went fine, so we're all good there!

The only thing is it will be quite awhile before I'm back on property to perform a data depletion test, so I'll just @ you when I can finally complete it.

Thanks again for your help.

That's no problem at all, thanks for keeping me updated! 

-Brooke

@Brooke

The test is finally completed! And here are the results. 

start.PNGfinish.PNG

Done over a period close to 8 hours.

Nothing really telling, at least for me, here. Only more headscratching. At first glace, it looks like it is not the Hughesnet modem using any data. Now, I have a hard time believing that wasn't what was happening before, but the problem seems to have disappeared for now. Maybe the logs will show something different?

All I can say is I'm glad we got the satellite issue fixed, and if I'm ever seeing impossible data drainage of 97GBs over a period of two days with a top speed of 3Mbps which would take a minimum of 77 hours, we'll have to look into this issue again Smiley Very Happy

Maybe a few restarts of the router and the satellite realignment caused the modem to correct itself? Who knows. 

It'll be interesting to see what the logs say.

Right now I currently don't have any logs, since it looks like there aren't any devices connected to produce data usage activity. This could be simply you're not on the site and no one's using the service at this time. What I am able to see is the amount of data still remaining on the cycle, which currently shows me about 22 GB. I refreshed every couple of minutes to see if it shows any activity, but there was no change.

Seems like everything's in order based on your screenshots, that's great! There is a chance that the marginal alignment may have been causing packet loss which would show an increase of ghost data usage. I reviewed your account in the past to see if our logs showed any packet loss, and I did see between July and August is when this started. With that alignment being fixed, I would say that it's possible it fixed itself. 

-Brooke

Hi~ Just wanted to jump in and say that on Windows 10 there is also a 'feature' where pending updates will turn on your computer to download or install even if you shut it down. I believe you have to turn the auto-login off from the sign-in settings to stop this. I'll find out specifics unless someone beats me to it.

Amanda