IP address blacklisted

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KEJ
Freshman

IP address blacklisted

Since my IP address is blacklisted, I cannot create an account with Instagram.  Insta states that I have an "open proxy".  My IP address changed today and this one is blacklisted also.  

How often does the IP address change?

A Google search found that ISPs are assigned a range of static IP address.  this is (one) Hughesnet range:

KEJ_0-1689350944356.png

My IP address from yesterday and today are both in that range...start 97.73.  What's the chance that the entire range is blacklisted?  How can I obtain an IP address that is not blacklisted?

Should I assume that no Hughesnet customer can create an Instagram or Threads account?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KEJ
Freshman

final update on this issue.  I was never able to create an Instagram account using my IP.  I went to a friend's house to create the account.  I am able to access Instagram using my IP.  The problem occured only when creating the Instagram account. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Remy

KEJ,

Thank you for reaching out! We'd love to help figure this out for you. First, are you given an alert or any information as to why you've been blacklisted? In the meantime, I'd recommend power cycling your modem by unplugging your modem from the power source, waiting a few moments, and plugging it back in. Following this, if you're able to, please let us know if you're able to use a VPN.

Thanks.

Remy

To be clear, I did not cause this blacklist.  the IP address assigned by Hughesnet is blacklisted.

When I unplugged the modem as you suggested, my IP address changed again to one in that same range.  And it is blacklisted also. So I have been assigned three IP addresses in two days and they are all blacklisted.

Why should I have to use a VPN?  It's an added hassle for me and may slow the network. This is the HughesNet statement about using VPNs: "If you do need to use a VPN, we recommend you try to limit your activities while connected. If you remain in the VPN for internet activities which do not require VPN access, it can potentially slow the network and will also use more of your service plan data."  

Are other HugheNet customers having this same issue when using Instagram or Threads?  I tried again to create an Insta account and I receive this same error:

KEJ_0-1689374834743.png

How can I be assigned an IP address that is not blacklisted?

Thank you.

I think the way this works is that someone involved in HughesNet network security needs to contact Instagram and assure them that the IPs assigned to their network are not open proxys and they should stop blocking their customers. I'm not even sure how Insta were able to make such a determination since it's actually under a double-NAT, not a proxy - there's a difference. Just as well, HughesNet can't assign you something that Insta thinks is secure if they've blocked the entire CIDR.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

KEJ,

Thanks for following up! Are you by chance using any proxy? In addition, we'd like you to attempt to install and access Instagram on another device and browser, if you can. Please let us know if this allows you to access the application! From what we've been able to gather, it should be working as expected.

Thanks,

Remy

KEJ
Freshman

final update on this issue.  I was never able to create an Instagram account using my IP.  I went to a friend's house to create the account.  I am able to access Instagram using my IP.  The problem occured only when creating the Instagram account.