Hughesnet Community

Is my modem suppose to feel warm to the touch.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JamStrong
New Poster

Is my modem suppose to feel warm to the touch.

I never touch my modem unless my internet is not working. Well my phone wouldn't connect to HN so I checked the modem and noticed it felt warm. I have never noticed this before. All the lights are on like it's suppose to be. Just didn't know if this was normal or not.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Liz

Hi JamStrong!

Good question--as your fellow community members have already mentioned, it's ok if the modem feels warm. I would be concerned if it were really hot to the touch, however. I double-checked your diagnostics and everything looks fine. I would also make sure to follow everyone's advice to ensure the modem has enough space around it so it's properly ventilated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I don’t think so — my modem always feels cool to the touch.   Is your modem located somewhere where air can circulate freely around it?

It could be mildly warm, as any electronic device that uses power is ok, but 'warm' is kind of a subjective term.

Just as long as it's not hot enough to touch without burning yourself. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but you don't want the device to overheat. In those cases it could mean that there's not enough ventilation, or there's a power issue somewhere.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Mine feels somewhat warm at the top, where it vents out, but the rest is cool to the touch.  

Warm is okay.  Hot is bad.  

With that said, having space around it so that it can get an airflow is important, as it is designed to keep cool by drawing room air from around the bottom edges and exhausting it through the top by convection.  Because of this the top can feel warm.    

HT2000W.jpg

Liz

Hi JamStrong!

Good question--as your fellow community members have already mentioned, it's ok if the modem feels warm. I would be concerned if it were really hot to the touch, however. I double-checked your diagnostics and everything looks fine. I would also make sure to follow everyone's advice to ensure the modem has enough space around it so it's properly ventilated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Good morning JamStrong!

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread. Have a good weekend!