JUST became a customer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bms00433
Freshman

JUST became a customer

Just got my service Friday. Started out with download speeds of 17mbs. As the day went on, slower speeds. By 7:30 pm .15 MB’s. Opened a ticket right away for help. Still no call back from support. Called twice and they said engineer was to call me in a couple days?? Seems something is not configured or the satellite is not seen during night. Another weird thing is my data hasn’t reset multiple times to show I have used nothing. Hope this gets better.....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Perfect 

thank you

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Bms00433 

Regarding your data, during your first twenty days the service is in what's known as a "relaxed bandwidth state", meaning that HughesNet continually replenishes your monthly data allotment during this time.  They do this as a courtesy for new customers, in order to enable them to update/upgrade their devices to current, which can use a lot of data, especially if those devices haven't been connected to the net in awhile.  After those twenty days your data usage will start being deducted from your monthly allotment in the normal fashion, which, in the case of this first month, will be for the remaining 11 days of your current monthly data cycle, which is 31 days.  

As for your speed issues, it's not uncommon for speeds to drop in the evenings, as more people are online and using the system.  With that said, though, the speeds shouldn't be dropping to anywhere near THAT low (0.15Mbps).  You can wait for the call back if you'd like, or you can work with the reps that can help you here.  The reps here are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST, and they usually reply within a day or so (during the weekdays).  If you choose to work with the reps here, they will need some speed test results from you in order to help, and the speed tests need to be run in a certain way, for which I'll post the instructions below.  Please be sure to run the tests in the manner instructed.  Again, though, you can choose to wait for the call back and see what the phone reps have to say, if you'd like to do that.  Or, you can get some tests run in the meantime and see who responds first.  With you having unlimited data right now it won't use any of your own to run the tests, so it would probably be advantageous to run them.  Then, even if you plan to see what the phone reps have to say, you'll already have some speed tests in if the Community reps reply first.  Again, just make sure that if you do run the tests you run them as instructed: while signed in to testmy.net, using the proper test size (25MB), using a single LAN cable connected device, and with the HughesNet modem's WiFi disabled.  

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.  

----------------------------------------------------------

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform a batch of 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the 12MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen4 Service Plan
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen5 Service Plan

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please see this site (due to being an older site, the stated test sizes are incorrect for Gen5 (please use the test sizes listed in the instructions above, in bold, for Gen5)).

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF. Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).

here is my results https://testmy.net/db/D~PubB3eq

https://testmy.net/db/wKf72x6UL  

test with 25 mb

as you can see....this is trash speed

maratsade

You only have a small number of test results, and that's not enough.  Please follow the instructions: "perform a batch of 3-5 tests during different parts of the day."   

Edit:  This is the link you need to post, and you only need to post it once:

https://testmy.net/quickstats/bms00433

It keeps track of all your tests. 

Ok. There a 4 out there right now with a 5th running 

10+ tests over the last 4 hours

maratsade

OK, try 3 to 5 tests 3 times a day: 3 to 5 in the early morning, 3 to 5 mid day, 3 to 5 evening. 

I did several more this morning around 4:45 am

Good morning Bms00433,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting.  After running and reviewing your site diagnostics, we have decided as a courtesy to dispatch a technician to do a complete review of your site due to the concerns you've been encountering. Your dispatch is currently scheduled for our earliest available slot: Tuesday, May 14, 2019 between 11:00 AM-02:00 PM. The tech will reach out to confirm the visit, so you can use that opportunity to reschedule if needed. Please let us know how the site visit goes.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Perfect 

thank you