Hughesnet Community

Modem suddenly starts taking 1 hour to aquire an internet connection in A.M. only. Why?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MunkMan
Freshman

Modem suddenly starts taking 1 hour to aquire an internet connection in A.M. only. Why?

Up until 3 days ago, I could aquire an internet connection (lit "system" light) in under 2 minutes. As of 3 days ago, it took me 20 minutes to aquire an internet connection. As of yesterday, and again today, I had to wait approximately 1 hour or longer to obtain a lit "system" light and subsequent internet connection. This condition occurs only when I first turn on the modem in the morning (0800 EST) to check my email on the computer. When I once again turn on the modem in the afternoon, at least this is what has happened over the past 2 days, I can aquire an internet connection within 2 minutes.

During my morning attempt to obtain internet access, all modem lights are lit with the exception of the "system" light. The "transmit" light flashes and the "receive" light is lit with no flashing. My modem is directly connected and all cables are firmly attached. I have turned it on and off several times as well in an attempt to correct any temporary glitch. The weather over the past several days has been very nice: clear sky, no rain, no high winds, no excessive heat.

Over the past 2 days I've tried to call tech support but the telephone approach only results in me entering a loop of asking which branch of assistance you require. When I say, "tech support," it beeps several times and then returns to asking me which branch I would like to speak with. Again and again, I reply "tech support" only to enter the enternal loop of asking which branch I would like to speak with, so that led to the "chat" option.

When I "chatted" yesterday, the remote testing of my modem showed that all is well with the modem and that my speed in fine. It was.

So, when I don't have internet capability I can't call and speak to anyone to remotely test my modem and when I do finally have internet capability the remote testing shows that my internet capability is fine. This is a classic "Catch-22."

The problem is unresolved. What is causing it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tech arrived on time Friday afternoon. He stated that the "signal strength" was 81 at the time of his arrival. He aligned the dish and obtained a signal strength of 111.

Today, Saturday morning, I was able to obtain internet in approximately 1 minute so it would appear that the problem was solved by dish realignment.

I still do not understand how I was able to obtain an internet connection during the afternoons but not in the mornings; however, the immediate problem has been solved and that is all that matters at this time.

Thanks again, Liz, for your assistance.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Liz

Good morning MunkMan,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! I pulled up your account to address your concerns and it looks like we can't get an optimal signal, can you see if there's anything obstructing the dish? 

Also make sure that the coaxial cable isn't loose and properly secured to the HughesNet modem.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Coax firmly attached.

There is a large tree near the line of sight from the dish but that tree has been there long before the dish was installed last September. Also, why would I be able to rapidly obtain a signal in the afternoon and not in the morning? That's most curious.

I can shut down the modem later and try again this afternoon and then respond to this message if I still can rapidly obtain an internet signal if that would be of any help. Do you want me to try that?

Thanks for checking! There's no need, I'm going to dispatch a complimentary tech to your site to address your concerns. The soonest I can get someone there is this Friday. Do you prefer a morning or afternoon appointment?

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

An afternoon appointment works best for me this week. Thanks, Liz.

Thanks for letting me know!

Your dispatch is currently scheduled for Friday, Jun 12, 2020 between 02:00 PM-05:00 PM. The tech will reach out to confirm the visit, so you can use that opportunity to reschedule if needed. I hope the visit goes well!

-Liz

Just an FYI prior to my Friday afternoon tech visit. I turned on the modem at 1354 this afternoon, Tuesday, 6/9/2020, and had an internet connection in 60 seconds.

Tech arrived on time Friday afternoon. He stated that the "signal strength" was 81 at the time of his arrival. He aligned the dish and obtained a signal strength of 111.

Today, Saturday morning, I was able to obtain internet in approximately 1 minute so it would appear that the problem was solved by dish realignment.

I still do not understand how I was able to obtain an internet connection during the afternoons but not in the mornings; however, the immediate problem has been solved and that is all that matters at this time.

Thanks again, Liz, for your assistance.

Good morning MunkMan,

That's wonderful to see, thank you for updating us on the tech visit! Glad to have been able to help, don't hesitate to drop by the community again if you need anything.

-Liz