Moving but want to keep my current internet service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sharleen
Freshman

Moving but want to keep my current internet service

I moving down the street and want to take my current internet with me. Is there a fee or is there no charge for moving my internet service?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sharleen and maratsade,

Thank you for your patience! I was able to get clarification on the concerns that you have raised. 

• When you move with your Gen5 service, there is a 12-month commitment with no additional $299 fee.
  • When you move with Gen4 service, you are required to upgrade to Gen5 and begin a new 24-month commitment.

I hope this clarifies the issue. We’ll make sure the online information is updated accordingly.

-Jay

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

According to Hughesnet's legal site ( https://legal.hughesnet.com/RelocationProgram.cfm), there are two options for relocating the service: one is free but requires a new 12-month commitment that begins on the date the service is installed at the new place, and the other one costs $299 and does not require a new commitment. 

Edit:  According to the information on the main site (see https://www.hughesnet.com/moving) if you move, a new 2 year commitment starts. 

I hope a Hughesnet mod clarifies this. 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

sharleen and maratsade, 

I want to let you two know what I am working to get clarification on this issue. Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

-Jay

I am having the same circumstances and this seems to be an issue that many customers are having -- also dissatisfied with the quality of service on top of that. this seems abusive and compulsive. I just called the customer service and they hung up on me. 

maratsade

What circumstances are you referring to?  It would be more helpful if instead of piggybacking on this thread you created your own (go to Tech Support and click Start a Topic) and provided the details of your situation. This helps keep issues separate and ensures faster response.  

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

@steviekicks wrote:

I am having the same circumstances and this seems to be an issue that many customers are having -- also dissatisfied with the quality of service on top of that. this seems abusive and compulsive. I just called the customer service and they hung up on me. 

GabeU

@steviekicks wrote:

I am having the same circumstances and this seems to be an issue that many customers are having 

I've been on this site, almost daily, since before this version even went live, and the OP's question is the first I've seen of this type, though I have seen one or two others concerning moving.  Where are the "many customers" that are having this "issue", and other than the fee related question the OP asked, what is the "issue" you're referring to?  

sharleen and maratsade,

Thank you for your patience! I was able to get clarification on the concerns that you have raised. 

• When you move with your Gen5 service, there is a 12-month commitment with no additional $299 fee.
  • When you move with Gen4 service, you are required to upgrade to Gen5 and begin a new 24-month commitment.

I hope this clarifies the issue. We’ll make sure the online information is updated accordingly.

-Jay

maratsade

Thanks, Jay!  Question: is there a case in which there would be a $299 fee in relation to moving the service? 

@Jay wrote:

sharleen and maratsade,

-Jay

maratsade,

The $299 fee is applied if you do not agree to a new commitment.

-Jay

maratsade

Thanks for the info, Jay!