No internet connection to computer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tazkidd892
Freshman

No internet connection to computer

Modem working do have Wi-Fi to tablets but no connection to my computer. I have opened up the network settings for my computer and there is no network information on my computer and I cannot find the IP address to reinstall the network to my computer

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Tazkidd892 

A couple of things you can try...

1.  Reset the network adapter(s).  For Windows, the instructions are here.  I'm specifically referring to what's done in Method #2.  

2.  Uninstall the WiFi adapter in the Device Manager, then click the "Scan for hardware changes" icon near the top of the Device Manager to reinstall it.  

3.  Check to make sure you have the latest drivers installed in the WiFi adapter.  You should be able to download the latest from the manufacturer's website, whether that be the website of the computer, the motherboard or the adapter itself (the last if you physically installed a the adapter yourself). 

Also, just in case this applies, even today many computers still cannot not utilize the 5GHz WiFi band.  If you're trying to connect to the 5GHz band, make sure your computer is capable of doing so.

One last thing you can try is power cycling the modem.  Though the problem likely lies with the computer itself, power cycling the modem can sometimes fix things you wouldn't expect.  To do so, shut down your computer, then unplug the HughesNet modem.  Wait for at least one minute, then plug the modem back in.  After waiting at least five minutes, which gives the modem time to be fully back up and ready, start your computer and see if you can connect.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GabeU

@Tazkidd892 

A couple of things you can try...

1.  Reset the network adapter(s).  For Windows, the instructions are here.  I'm specifically referring to what's done in Method #2.  

2.  Uninstall the WiFi adapter in the Device Manager, then click the "Scan for hardware changes" icon near the top of the Device Manager to reinstall it.  

3.  Check to make sure you have the latest drivers installed in the WiFi adapter.  You should be able to download the latest from the manufacturer's website, whether that be the website of the computer, the motherboard or the adapter itself (the last if you physically installed a the adapter yourself). 

Also, just in case this applies, even today many computers still cannot not utilize the 5GHz WiFi band.  If you're trying to connect to the 5GHz band, make sure your computer is capable of doing so.

One last thing you can try is power cycling the modem.  Though the problem likely lies with the computer itself, power cycling the modem can sometimes fix things you wouldn't expect.  To do so, shut down your computer, then unplug the HughesNet modem.  Wait for at least one minute, then plug the modem back in.  After waiting at least five minutes, which gives the modem time to be fully back up and ready, start your computer and see if you can connect.

Thank you, up and running

GabeU

@Tazkidd892 wrote:

Thank you, up and running

You're welcome.  That's great to hear.  🙂