No internet

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hooterville
Senior

No internet

Our internet has not worked most of the day.. I have tried restarting the modern twice. Neither the LAN or WiFi work. Are there problems with the service?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@hooterville,

From what I can see it appears the only device that sustained connection was DIRECTV. These devices have been known to use data to update their guide menus and for general system updates. It is possible this was the cause as nothing else looks like data leakage. 

-Damian 

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Hi Mary, are all the lights off on the modem, or are some on?  Can you get to this page?

Hi Marastade,

The LAN light is blinking and the WIFI light is on steady. That's all. The three lights above those are off

Mary

maratsade

Mary, go to this page. What's the number next to State Code?

The number is 11.2.1

It also says -a problem receiving data has occurred 

Mary

maratsade

This may be related to a weather event in your area or in the area where the ground station is located, but it could also be the modem.  The reps here will have to try to connect to it and see what's going on. Leave the modem plugged in and on so they can contact it.  I hope someone's around to night to help you and that this gets resolved quickly. You can also try the phone reps and see what they say. 

Thank you,

the modem is unplugged.

Mary S.

maratsade

Mary, you need to plug in the modem and leave it plugged in, or the reps won't be able to contact it.

Oops, sorry I misread. It is plugged in now 

Mary

hooterville
Senior

Hello,

Once again we have no internet. 
the State Code # is 11.2.1.

there were some storms that moved through that caused the electricity to flicker but they are past now. Can someone assist us?

Thank you,

Mary S.

@hooterville,

Thank you for reaching out and for your patience. It currently appears that we are also unable to get any communication with your modem. Since you were able to grab the state code that tells us that the most likely cause is weather-related. 11.2.1 usually means communication and signal are being interupted. We see this a lot with heavy cloud coverage, rain, snow, lightning storms, and other natural obstructions. These state codes almost always go away on their own once the weather is clear and cloud coverage has subsided. Cloud coverage is a very common reason for this state code to linger. If you can, please let me know if your skies are clear. If so, you are permitted to power cycle the modem. 

-Damian 

Hello Damian,

The skies are clear and the internet appears to be working again but now I'm curious as to where our data went. Yesterday before the storms we were at 14%. Now we are at 6%. Somehow we lost 8% without even having any internet to use. How does that happen?

Thank you,

Mary S.

maratsade

That doesn't happen. I imagine your modem caught up to data that had been used before you lost your connection. 

Hmmm, I don't know what it could have been, but ok.

Thank you for all of your help.

Mary

maratsade

Mary, I hope that @Damian can give you some information about this, if possible. Maybe the reps have tools that can accurately report daily usage.  Do you remember streaming something or downloading something in the hours before the system went down? 

Hi,

No, we hadn't been using the internet at all. Had been at work all day and the storms came shortly after I got home. Maybe something did an update that is connected to the WiFi, I just don't know what it was. Guess we'll just have to be more aware for the next few days.

Mary

@hooterville,

From what I can see it appears the only device that sustained connection was DIRECTV. These devices have been known to use data to update their guide menus and for general system updates. It is possible this was the cause as nothing else looks like data leakage. 

-Damian 

Thank you for this information Damian,

Mary