Hughesnet Community

Number to call and cancel ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
grenadieroutdoo

Number to call and cancel ?

Is there a direct line to call and cancel service and why should we have to pay to cancel when your company misleads people? Our bill was $300 this month!! My husband is a disable veteran who runs his own business from our home. We were told last year when we signed up that the lowest plan would be enough for us with me going to college online and him running his part time business. After 2 months of having the service we called and said it wasn't working correctly we were already out of data and it couldn't be right because we cancelled our Netflix to not use the data and we only get on facebook when were not using it for his business or my college. They gave us a free few tokens to use. A few days later we were out again. We waited a few months just dealing with it but then it got to the point I had to take a month off college because nothing would load. We called them to cancel and they told us to try to upgrade instead. We were scared at first because to upgrade was $50 more bucks a month something we didn't have. Then they also told us we could get the internet from 2-7 and it would run faster and not go against our data and also about the hughesnet status meter to monitor our data plan. I started doing my college work at night only and my husband used it during the day. We also did the upgrade. I wasn't sure why we weren't told about the free data when we signed up either can someone answer that? Within a few days we were out of data.... AGAIN!!!!! My husband bought tokens and it made our monthly bill $300 this month. This is insane. I want to know how you can lie to people and then tell them to upgrade and it will work better. We just want to talk to someone direct and we want out. I just wish on top of all the other bills we had to pay for this crappy service you would let people cancel for free who has been lied to about how the service will work great for them.  
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Amanda

Hello grenadieroutdoors,

Welcome to our community and thank you for reaching out to us. Unfortunately as it has been over a year since you signed up for service, your sales call is no longer available. I am very sorry you are not happy with the service and really recommend trying out some of the advice and tips from our community members, who are very knowledgeable in saving data. In any case, you can call us at 1-866-347-3292 and ask to speak to our Account Management department if you decide you want to cancel.

Thank you
Amanda

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

How exactly was you lied to grenadieroutdoors and when?  During your sales call?  As far as data, only a potential customer can have any idea of whether 5GB, 10GB, 20GB or even 50GB is enough for them...  As far as tokens, that isn't on Hughesnet, nothing they can do about customers purchasing $150+ worth in tokens.

If you do wish to cancel, call 866-347-3292, please remember to return the modem, power adapter, and radio located on the dish otherwise you may face additional unreturned equipment fees.  If you purchased your equipment (unlikely you did...), then you don't need to worry about returning it.
grenadieroutdoo

I'm waiting for someone that works for Hughesnet to reply. Your nasty response isn't needed thanks anyways! Also I did purchase my equipment don't assume anything until you know thanks.  
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Not sure how it was nasty, then again, I guess flat out answering your question, "Number to call and cancel ?" is rude and nasty.  Guess you don't like being questioned for what a Rep should look for in a sales call then?

If you don't want public responses, then I strongly urge you to create a private topic, that's what they are for.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

grenadieoutdoors,
 I would certainly ask for a sales call review to determine just what was promised and disclosed  during your sales call.

The corporate level forum Mods will not return until Monday.

That being said it is virtually impossible for a sales person to be aware of all the software and settings of your connected devices. They range all over.
Those of us that have no other choice BUT satellite internet have made so many OS and browser setting changes that limit the useless "burn" of data its hard to remember them all.
The Big One however is streaming video data ... Netflix, Hulu ... take your pick. All satelite plans have data limits and for good reason ... this is not an option for "cord cutters".
You only have a limited amount of "fuel" for the month.
There are Soooo  many settings  .. browser extensions to limit wasting data on useless adds, stopping all cloud and sync services, reducing playback resolution of what video you do stream.

OS update settings... virus and malware.

There are however three usage meters that can help you determine your rate of data burn. Quite frankly a $300 bill is a user that knows enough to purchase tokens but can't read a usage meter?

This is a data capped service ... find out what it is in your usage patterns and connected devices that is burning though your data. It has to be being consumed by something .. find out if that something is entitlement.

Satellite internet is not comparable to ground based systems and there is a learning curve and there are many things you can do to control and limit unnecessary data usage.

As to cancelling. You can not cancel in any other way but to have the account holder  call the customer service number:

866-347-3292

This is done to prevent "prank" cancellations from disgruntled spouses, dogs, cats and other unrelated entities effecting your service.

If you have not completed your 24 month contractual agreement you may be subject to a ETF  charge unless it is modified or waived by the corporate Mods based on the content of your sales call.

If you do cancel and are a lease customer you will be require to return the Modem, power brick and radio form the dish are within 45 days of the date of your cancellation. The equipment can be sent back on the pre-paid return kit you will receive.
grenadieroutdoo

Hughesnet I would like a review of my sales call I didn't know this was an option. I know we wouldn't have bought the service if we knew it was this bad and wouldn't load what we need it to. Thanks.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Regardless of whether you cancel Hughesnet and go with someone else or stick with them, you need to figure out what device(s), and what on that device(s), is chewing through your data.  If you don't stream (cancelled Netflix), yet you are still burning through so much data that you are purchasing multiple tokens, you've got a serious problem that you need to figure out, and cancelling one capped service to go to another isn't going to fix it.  The problem isn't Hughesnet.  The problem is something chewing through your data, and until you figure out what that is, you're going to be in the same boat no matter what capped ISP you go with. 

Your college work connection.  Cloud connection.   Syncing.  Sharing updates.  Ads on websites.  A satellite TV receiver connecting.  Updates in a perpetual loop.   Take your pic.  Any and all of these things can burn through data without you knowing it. 

It wouldn't surprise me to find out that it's your college work connection that is using so much data. 

I'm a little confused about the 2AM to 7AM free period they told you about.  As far as I know, the only plans that have the "Download Zone" (the free data period) are the daily refill plans, and it sounds like you have a monthly refill plan, judging by your comments about being out of data after a few days.  I could be wrong, but I'm not aware of any monthly data plan that utilizes the Download Zone. 

Amanda

Hello grenadieroutdoors,

Welcome to our community and thank you for reaching out to us. Unfortunately as it has been over a year since you signed up for service, your sales call is no longer available. I am very sorry you are not happy with the service and really recommend trying out some of the advice and tips from our community members, who are very knowledgeable in saving data. In any case, you can call us at 1-866-347-3292 and ask to speak to our Account Management department if you decide you want to cancel.

Thank you
Amanda
Amanda

Generally 60-90 days depending on the center.

Amanda
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Before you can reduce the amount of data you use you will need to determine just what devices, programs and processes are using your data.

On Windows based computers I suggest you download and install GlassWire. The free version is fine.

www.glasswire.com

Suggested settings:

Understanding the output:

Most users are really surprised at what is running as background processes on their computer.

It is important to understand that Glasswire will only log and report data usage on the computer upon which it is installed. If you have multiple Windows computers you will need to install Glasswire on each and correlate the usage data.

Glasswire will NOT be able to detect and report on router based security issues/leaks and that is a subject that we absolutely need to review.

At the heart of your network is your router. Every data byte you and your devices consume have to go through that central point of your network.

I would very strongly suggest that you review the capabilities of your present router to see if it has a "Traffic Analyzer" function.

I also strongly suggest that you review your routers internal settings in regards to:

>All guest accounts disabled<

>Routers GUI username and password changed from default<

>All wireless frequencies have strong encryption enabled<

>Remote Access function disabled<

>WPS disabled<

>All internal router "cloud & sync" functions disabled<

>All internal router "services" be reviewed for data usage<

If your present router does not allow track data usage per device I would strongly suggest getting a router that does.

I currently run an Asus RT-AC3100

Traffic Analyzer:

Statistics per device:

If you have a complex network made of wired and a mix of wireless devices it is only at the router level that you will have a complete picture of just what devices are using data and what programs and just as importantly what background processes are consuming data.

The Asus AC-3100 pictured above may be a little pricey ... there are less expensive Asus models that can run the Merlin firmware and has the Traffic Analyzer function. Some models can also be found as full warranty factory re-furbs..

Before you can address you data "burn rate" you need to find out just what is running on your network.

grenadieroutdoo

Amanda now I have to pay a fee because of my call being deleted? I was not told about a fee when I signed up. I would have canceled the first time I called but I was told they would have to review my phone call first.
grenadieroutdoo

The only thing we use the internet for is my wife's college homework and my work which she has switched to using the internet at night because of the no internet or really slow internet during the day. I am a disabled veteran and I run my business from home but I don't need to watch videos or anything that would eat up our internet.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

grenadiersoutdoors,

Generating a $300 monthly bill is indicative of massive  data use more in line of a user with a terrestrial connection rather than a data capped satellite service.

While cancelation is available to you so is doing a careful review of what in particular is using your data at such a terrific rate.

There has been a number of substantial changes in Operating Systems, OS Update delivery, hardware driver changes from Nvidia that results in massive data use in the form of "telemetry".

To that we can add the potential of unsecured aspects of your Network.

You may be surprised as to how much data is being "wasted" by unknown/unseen programs and processes..

Amanda

Grenadier,

It is not a direct correlation that you have to pay an early termination fee because your call was deleted. We do not store every call forever and a year is a bit of a stretch for us to be expected to hold it. 

Amanda