cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renewal of spam attacks

nitaclay
Sophomore

Re: Renewal of spam attacks

If they will notice, emails from Lowe's, Walmart, Norton, etc. are spoofing emails. They are not advertisements from those companies. I've even gotten some that say they are from HughesNet, but have misspelled words, jumbled letters, and such.

Liz

Excellent catch nitaclay! Our email folks are still digging into this, but I'll relay this bit of feedback as well. Please continue to mark these as spam, as it does help our spam filter learn and improve over time.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

adlercpa
New Poster

I am getting a bunch of spam from Zedline. They use ramdon letters like fstv@zedline.com. I block them but they just keep changing the random letters and more still come.

Some get to my email even though they are not sent to my email address. Can hughes.net block all emails from Zedline?

Jim Adler

[removed to protect privacy]

maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

Jim, the email admins are working on the spam issue, but there's likely only so much they can do, as spammers get around counter-measures soon after they're deployed.  Your best bet is to keep marking messages as spam or just delete them. 

adlercpa wrote:

I am getting a bunch of spam from Zedline. They use ramdon letters like fstv@zedline.com. I block them but they just keep changing the random letters and more still come.

Some get to my email even though they are not sent to my email address. Can hughes.net block all emails from Zedline?

Jim Adler

MarkJFine
Associate Professor

When it's fixed, you should be able to block by the domain name, e.g. *@zedline.com. That should stop it for a week until the domain changes.

Admins may want to relay this to the engineers: Majority of spam will come from web servers that have been compromized by hacked web site plugins as a means to get around checks to the RBL, but it doesn't last long. That said, it's best for the email server to check the HELO IP of incoming messages against an RBL and reject as appropriate. It's one of the best defenses to kill this beast. The current checker they have in place doesn't seem to be doing this.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@adlercpa 

It's not a good idea to post your email address in public.  That's a good way to increase spam.  

You can edit your email address out of your post by clicking on the three vertical dots to the upper right of the post.  If the reps need your email address they'll request it to be given via private message, for which they normally provide a link.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
nitaclay
Sophomore

I assure you I'm NOT opening them, but they are increasing daily! I can hardly get through deleting the ones that are there before I have 20 more! So aggravating!!

maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

It's not you, Nita, it's the spammers figuring out ways to spam you. Your email may have been compromised somewhere, at some point, and now you're on a list, and yes, it's ridiculously frustrating.  You may want to think about getting another email address, at Gmail, for example. 

@nitaclay wrote:

I assure you I'm NOT opening them, but they are increasing daily! I can hardly get through deleting the ones that are there before I have 20 more! So aggravating!!

nitaclay
Sophomore

Believe me, I have definitely considered getting another email! I am our church secretary, and I use my email for so much of that correspondence I really hate to change it.

nitaclay
Sophomore

Liz,

I absolutely cannot be the only one with this problem! I marked as spam and deleted 102 emails just for today. I don't have time to do this every day! I don't want to change my email, but I am realizing that I may have to do something differently. Help!!!