Renewal of spam attacks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nitaclay
Sophomore

Renewal of spam attacks

We had this discussion back in the fall when some of us were getting hundreds of spam emails each day, and it seems we were all getting the same ones. Liz assured us they were working on it, and it did get much better. Now, the spam emails are beginning again. It started with just 3 or 4. Now today, there were 51. I do mark them spam, but they just show right back up. I don't remember who all had this problem, but I'm willing to bet I'm not alone.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Good morning nitaclay,

Thank you for your patience while our e-mail folks looked into your concern. They have located and blocked the offending IPs from sending again and the issue should slacken now if not completely stop.  Please continue marking any suspicious e-mail as spam to help strengthen our spam controls.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to reach out again.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

When it's fixed, you should be able to block by the domain name, e.g. *@zedline.com. That should stop it for a week until the domain changes.

Admins may want to relay this to the engineers: Majority of spam will come from web servers that have been compromized by hacked web site plugins as a means to get around checks to the RBL, but it doesn't last long. That said, it's best for the email server to check the HELO IP of incoming messages against an RBL and reject as appropriate. It's one of the best defenses to kill this beast. The current checker they have in place doesn't seem to be doing this.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@adlercpa 

It's not a good idea to post your email address in public.  That's a good way to increase spam.  

You can edit your email address out of your post by clicking on the three vertical dots to the upper right of the post.  If the reps need your email address they'll request it to be given via private message, for which they normally provide a link.