Ring Doorbell

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sugargroveva
New Poster

Ring Doorbell

I installed a Ring doorbell at my vacation home and when motion is detected all I see is a black screen when I play it back. When I try to connect to live view sometimes it returns network connection error and sometimes it connects. Are there anything I can do to make the doorbell work properly?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@sugargroveva 

Are you actually at the vacation home when trying to view it live or are you trying to connect from another location?  The reason I ask is that, when it comes to remote access, while HughesNet does support cloud based devices like security cameras and the like, as in uploading the media from those devices to the cloud to then be accessed from wherever, it doesn't support direct remote access.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
maratsade

Have you contacted Ring tech support?  Ring may not work with systems that have high latency, like satellite internet. 

GabeU

@sugargroveva 

Are you actually at the vacation home when trying to view it live or are you trying to connect from another location?  The reason I ask is that, when it comes to remote access, while HughesNet does support cloud based devices like security cameras and the like, as in uploading the media from those devices to the cloud to then be accessed from wherever, it doesn't support direct remote access.

Ring cameras do not work with HughesNet  Satellite Internet.  There is too much latency in the HughesNet system to allow two way communication with the cameras and the app on your phone.  Also the Ring cameras use a lot of data since all motion activations are stored on the Internet.  I tried to use Ring cameras at my vacation home in the mountains and had to send the cameras back because the Ring tech support said they would not work.  Instead of Ring cameras I used a hard wired camera system with a digital DVR recorder.  The system is independent of the Internet and stores all data on the DVR hard drive.  The system has a phone app which allows the authorized user to view either stored or live images on the cameras at will.  The app also can be set to notify your cell phone of motion alerts.  The system uses the same amount of data as a text message and does not require rapid two way communication.  My system is no longer available but there are other such systems available on Amazon for a reasonable price.  

Alyson21

My Ring doorbell does not consistently work. I can get it to connect to the WiFi, but then it always disconnects. I even set up a WiFi booster nearby, but it still goes offline. Very frustrating, especially since the Hughesnet sale rep told me that I wouldn't have trouble using my Ring doorbell. I don't even bother to set up my other camera because I know it will fail to operate properly. #ReallyMissCableInternet

maratsade

Have you contacted Ring tech support?  Ring may not work with systems that have high latency, like satellite internet. 

@Alyson21 wrote:

My Ring doorbell does not consistently work. I can get it to connect to the WiFi, but then it always disconnects. I even set up a WiFi booster nearby, but it still goes offline. Very frustrating, especially since the Hughesnet sale rep told me that I wouldn't have trouble using my Ring doorbell. I don't even bother to set up my other camera because I know it will fail to operate properly. #ReallyMissCableInternet