Rut Ro...Someone is Mad :o

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
monicakm
Senior

Rut Ro...Someone is Mad :o

Someone at HN is apparently mad that I'm not happy with my Gen 5 service thus far...yikes! 😮  I was consistently getting 28 to 30Mbps on Gen 4 the last couple of months.

Capture.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi monicakm,

I just noticed this other thread of yours and your latest reply. I've addressed your latest concerns in this thread, so to keep things more tidy and less confusing, let's stick to that thread for any updates on this situation. I'll go ahead and close this one off to new replies.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Really?  Does my testmy download speed screenshot not show up for you?  18Mbps vs 48 on Gen 5 that I got yesterday and 28+ the last couple of months on Gen 4. 

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Corrosive, what are your testmy results?  Oh wait, I found them. 

http://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&l=250&z=30&q=C0RR0SIVE
I'm betting you wouldn't consider 17 and 18 acceptable and falling within a "good margin".  I am connected directly (bypassing router).

My test results have been 28+ with Gen 4.  Yesterday, 48Mbps (like many others have reported) on Gen 5.  I'm sorry, 18 and 17.2Mbps are not acceptable in my book.  My browsing is painfully slow tonight.  Some pages won't even load.  So far the pole problem, speed problem and messed up wifi settings/devices have made this whole experience regrettable 😞

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

*shrugs* I find even 4Mbps to be acceptable to be honest, as long as I can browse and stream SD video, I am a happy camper.

That aside, Hughes has always gone on a, "60% average is acceptable" route.  Unless your terminal hits 15Mbps constantly you are still clear, the test result you shared is 72% of plan speeds.

From the sounds of things, you might have other issues with your system.  Have you tried rebooting the HT2000w?

If you want to start a complaint about speeds then follow the following instructions:

Create a testmy.net account and perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day. Then share the account results link with us here.

Please keep in mind that Hughesnet will only accept testmy.net and the official Hughesnet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-use the 12MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen4 Service Plan
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen5 Service Plan

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file

-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

" as long as I can browse and stream SD video, I am a happy camper."

Ditto.

maratsade

"Someone at HN is apparently mad that I'm not happy with my Gen 5 service thus far...yikes!"

Their power is frightening. You better get happy with the service, or else. Smiley LOL

"My test results have been 28+ with Gen 4.  Yesterday, 48Mbps (like many others have reported) on Gen 5.  I'm sorry, 18 and 17.2Mbps are not acceptable in my book.  My browsing is painfully slow tonight.  Some pages won't even load.  So far the pole problem, speed problem and messed up wifi settings/devices have made this whole experience regrettable"

Clearly something's the matter and painfully slow browsing is indeed not acceptable. I normally don't care about the speed unless browsing is noticeably slow. If I can browse and stream SD stuff, I'm fine.  But if your browsing is slow and pages won't even load, then something's obviously wrong.  I hope it gets fixed for you.

maratsade

Storms here so the HN network is pouting and not working -- so I'm using my little emergency Verizon hotspot so I can get some work done. I'm also streaming Netflix over the hotspot. 

Giving me a 2.87 Mbps download speed, TestMy tells me that

Your connection scored only 8% of the Verizon Wireless average (92% slower).

Well, I may be 92% slower than the VW average (we need warp speed now, Mr. LaForge!), but I don't notice anything different, and Netflix is not buffering or anything.  

(And I'm sure the test is not really accurate -- I'm sure I didn't do it right, but I can't imagine the connection's going any faster than that).

tampasteve1
Sophomore

Out of interest, if you were getting good speeds on your Gen4 service why did you upgade to Gen5? 

maratsade

I don't know about the other user, but I'm sure there are plenty of different reasons to upgrade. I'm very happy with Gen4 and it works very well for me, and yet I'll be upgrading to Gen5. I'm doing it to get more data. Currently I get 15GB, and I'll be upgrading to a higher limit because higher limits are no longer available in my area for Gen4. Not even the amount I have is available anymore.

Thanks, I am sure you are right about there being a lot of reasons to upgrade. I will be a new Hughesnet user on Gen5, so I did not have Gen4 service which is why it interests me. 🙂

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I have Gen 4 Ultra so I'm good for awhile. Can definitely see people upgrading to Gen 5 just for more data.

PS: @tampasteve1 it sure is nice to see a new customer here educating themselves on the system berfore it is even installed.

maratsade

@tampasteve1 wrote:

Thanks, I am sure you are right about there being a lot of reasons to upgrade. I will be a new Hughesnet user on Gen5, so I did not have Gen4 service which is why it interests me. 🙂

I hope it works well for you, Steve. I used to have dialup 12 or more years ago, then went to Gen3 and that was not stellar but it was waaaaay better than dialup and served me well until I finally went to Gen4, which was waaaaaay better than Gen3.  I'm hoping the trend will continue. 🙂

The company that came out to upgrade me to Gen 5 on Tues called bright and early this morning to say they got the orders to change the pole (thank you Liz).  Conversation started out good but then got a tad testy with him telling me that HN threatened to fire him saying HE was the one that stuck the broken pole in the ground (and no concrete).   Of course that's not the case and I offered to call anyone I needed to straighten out the story.   He said is boss got 10 different emails concerning the pole issue.  But, I didn't need to hear any of that.  Professionalism isn't what it used to be.  He's already lost all credibility with me for a number of other issues including lying about the signal strength...UNLESS it could actually have been 102 and 2 minutes later (and up till now) hovering between 89 and 91.  When I questioned him about that he said there is no difference in between a signal strength of 86 and 102 😮

I can't imagine anyone being able to stream (even in SD) at 4Mbps.  Not saying YOU can't, but I couldn't.  My Gen 4 testmy speeds were generally in the 9ish range until a couple of months ago when they shot up to 28 to 30Mbps.  At 9 Youtube buffered a LOT.  Prime time was all but impossible to watch.  I've never bothered with Netflix.  Youtube would automatically set my resolution to 240p.  I could still buffer (on Gen 4) with 28 to 30Mbps and 420p.  My testmy speed this morning is 38.  I tried Youtube 720p and got quite a bit of buffering.  Browsing this morning is better.  Maybe Netflix streaming is different than Youtube streaming.  Like I said, I've never bothered with it due to my Youtube streaming experience AND a 10GB data cap.  I was certainly anxious to try it with the new plan.

Why would I want to upgrade?  Data for one.  10GB vs 20GB.  With today's multimedia hungry internet and all our devices, you have to be really conscience about your data consumption.  I usually ended a month with data remaining but it was out of diligence and the fact that we have a 12GB data plan with our cell phones + roll over data.  I was hoping Gen 5 would have brought us roll over data 🙂  Even tho Testmy was showing an increase of download speeds from 9ish to 28ish, my browsing remained roughly the same.  Even with the upgrade, browsing isn't significantly faster. 

tampasteve, I DO hope you get a good and honest installer.  It can make all the difference in the world.  I didn't want the same installer out that cut the old pole off at the ground and then just stuck it in the dirt but I don't have any faith in the installers that came out on Tues either 😞  I'm hoping my husband can be here when they come back to install the new pole.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Just stating, you only need a consistent 750Kbps or so connection to stream 480p video...  The video data saver works by throttling the streaming connection back to approximately that speed so that streaming services auto-select the SD stream instead of HD... 720P youtube is capable on about 1.5Mbps to 2.0Mbps.

A lot of buffering that people see is due to congestion not at Hughesnet if they are able to get those consistent speeds, but at the CDN level that Youtube uses.

As far as browsing being any faster between 9Mbps and 28Mbps, it wont be, unless the web-page is very large and FULL of pictures/media.  Most websites load fairly fast and only need about 1.5Mbps to 3.0Mbps to fully load in a few seconds.  Most of the waiting on a website to load, is waiting for a DNS request to be completed, which Web-Accel is supposed to help with.

Hi monicakm,

I just noticed this other thread of yours and your latest reply. I've addressed your latest concerns in this thread, so to keep things more tidy and less confusing, let's stick to that thread for any updates on this situation. I'll go ahead and close this one off to new replies.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!