Satellite coax cables, entry wire is actually 2 separate coax connections

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
linda hayes1
New Poster

Satellite coax cables, entry wire is actually 2 separate coax connections

While changing out the HT1100 gen 4 modem to the HT2000W gen 5 Wifi modem, I found out thaat the coax cable is actualIly ONE Large cable that splits into TWO separate cables with a connector on the end of each one. The only difference I can see is the each cable is secured to the modem with a screw type device that tightens the cable to the modem. One cable has a smooth type screw and the other has a hex type screw that you might use a small wrench to tighten. I laid the cable down when I was originally hooking everything up and didnt know that it had TWO connections on satellite cable. Regardless, I have tried each one separately but neither seem to help with connecting the new modem.  I can only get 3 out of the 6 lights to light up.  I'M STUCK, PLEASE HELP......

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@linda hayes1

The older systems used two cables.  One for the incoming signal and one for the outgoing signal.   When an upgrade is performed, but the cable is still fine, what a lot of installers will do is just reuse the same dual coax, but only one of the cables, as only one is required for Gen4 and/or Gen5.  I don't know your situation, as in if you upgraded from a legacy plan to Gen4, or if you started with Gen4 and the installer just had some dual coax that he/she just decided to use because it was still new and good, but either way Gen5 only uses one cable.  

Unfortunately, I don't know how you would test which cable is the right one, especially when upgrading to a Gen5 modem that may need to be registered.  Sometimes the reps need to help with an upgrade from Gen4 to Gen5.  If you don't remember which cable it is that was connected to the HT1100 modem, as it will be the same cable, and both cables give you the same result, it's likely that you'll have to wait for a rep to help.

Did HughesNet send you a Gen5 HT2000W modem without having a tech come out to perform the upgrade?   

Edit:  If the system was working with the HT1100 modem before the changing to the HT2000W, and all you've done is change the modem, you can probably reconnect the HT1100 modem to see which cable is the right one.  Just make sure the modem(s) is unplugged when connecting or disconnecting the coax cable.  

View solution in original post

Hi Linda, it sounds like the HT1100 may not have been your initial problem, but rather something with the dish or pointing and was misdiagnosed. If that is the case, then an upgrade wouldn't solve the problem. I can certainly get someone out there free of charge to get this fixed up for you ASAP. I'll set up a work order and a technician will reach out to you to confirm an appointment date.

Thanks,

Amanda

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@linda hayes1

The older systems used two cables.  One for the incoming signal and one for the outgoing signal.   When an upgrade is performed, but the cable is still fine, what a lot of installers will do is just reuse the same dual coax, but only one of the cables, as only one is required for Gen4 and/or Gen5.  I don't know your situation, as in if you upgraded from a legacy plan to Gen4, or if you started with Gen4 and the installer just had some dual coax that he/she just decided to use because it was still new and good, but either way Gen5 only uses one cable.  

Unfortunately, I don't know how you would test which cable is the right one, especially when upgrading to a Gen5 modem that may need to be registered.  Sometimes the reps need to help with an upgrade from Gen4 to Gen5.  If you don't remember which cable it is that was connected to the HT1100 modem, as it will be the same cable, and both cables give you the same result, it's likely that you'll have to wait for a rep to help.

Did HughesNet send you a Gen5 HT2000W modem without having a tech come out to perform the upgrade?   

Edit:  If the system was working with the HT1100 modem before the changing to the HT2000W, and all you've done is change the modem, you can probably reconnect the HT1100 modem to see which cable is the right one.  Just make sure the modem(s) is unplugged when connecting or disconnecting the coax cable.  

Thank you so much for getting back with me about this problem. I'm currently working off of a Hotspot and not much data use available. Okay, in answer to your question about whether a Tech came out to perform upgrade when the equipment came, the answer is NO. I was told I didnt need one when I called HN to request upgrade. All equipment here is from original installation of Gen 4. The main reason I was requesting upgrade at this time is because HT1100 quit working over a month ago and they were supposed to send me a replacement for that. They never did. I called back and went ahead with upgrade so I wouldn't have any more problems (or so I thought).  So, when I requested upgrade, I was told I wouldnt need a tech. I have tried to follow instructions sent with new modem and they really are pretty simple. All lights are supposed to illuminate on the front once new modem becomes operational. That never happened. I even tried the other cable when first attempt failed. Still doesnt work. So thats where I am. I just havent got past the new modem having all lights on front illuminated.  I appreciate your efforts to help. Anymore ideas at this point?

Hi Linda, it sounds like the HT1100 may not have been your initial problem, but rather something with the dish or pointing and was misdiagnosed. If that is the case, then an upgrade wouldn't solve the problem. I can certainly get someone out there free of charge to get this fixed up for you ASAP. I'll set up a work order and a technician will reach out to you to confirm an appointment date.

Thanks,

Amanda

Amanda

Hi Linda, 

From the installation snapshots I have for your account, it appears that the coaxial cable you need to connect to the modem has a yellow stripe at the connector. Is that one of the two that you tried?

-Amanda