Slow Gen5 download speed

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lostmtnman
Freshman

Slow Gen5 download speed

For the past three months I have been experiencing super slow Gen5 internet download speeds starting in late aftenoon until late at night. What is going on and what is HughesNet doing to fix the problem if they are aware of it?  Check my speed test results that I ran Saturday night.

http://testmy.net/quickstats/Lostmtnman

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I'm having a similar issue.  The company is working on these issues, trying to figure out where they come from. While it may seem nothing is happening, they're actually being proactive. 

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30

oh boy entry after entry of slow speeds and me just signing away two years of thousands of dollars to Hughes...I hope not a hughes a*! mistake.   yikes.  started new thread but since I my speeds are so slow I have plenty of time to post on every other complaint of slow speeds.

I am with Hughesnet only for about three months --- initially good for the first few days, and then for the past 2.5 months download speeds are very low and volatile. I am using Windows 7 OS with nothing fancy installed; Hughes HT2000W modem. My main use is work related up-/ and down loading of relatively large CAD files, and well as remote CAD work (using OnShape). I have contacted the tech support but to no avail. It appears that the tech support cannot do anything about slow download/upload speeds and high volatility in speeds (see data below). All speed test data is recorded at my Hughesnet account speed test site.  I have not experienced this bad of a service ever before with any other internet service provider. And, the problem is not in my computer or system, as I have tested three different computers, changed configurations, am directly hardwired to the modem, disabled everything I possibly can in order just to focus on the download/upload performance. I am also not streaming anything but use the connection for work and up- /downloading files. With all the arrangements, and all three computers, I am getting about the same results. The problem appears clearly to be at the Hughesnet end. It appears (and this is a hypothesis) that Hughesnet, in order to manage their overall traffic, throttles individual services down regardless of the level of the individual contract (and I have the highest available data contract and commitment). I, honestly, cannot recommend Hughesnet satellite service to anyone. My previous service provider was Comcast and prior to that AT&T. I never had to conduct "speedtests" as the connections were always stable and services predictable, and speed (down/up) variablity (measured as standard deviation) was within (+ -) 5 Mbps.   

Here are some of my latest results from the hughesnet site (in total I have abot three months (from 10/1/2017- to today) of speed data):

Speed Test History
Please allow up to 5 minutes to see your latest test results.
Show: 102550100150200 at a time. (Total: 61)Page 1 of 3Next >>>
Date Recorded Download Result(KBPS) Upload Result(KBPS) Hughes Modem
01/11/2018 03:48 PM

Yes

01/11/2018 03:47 PM
Yes
01/11/2018 03:46 PM
Yes
01/05/2018 04:08 PM
Yes
01/05/2018 03:56 PM
Yes
01/05/2018 03:54 PM
Yes
01/05/2018 03:52 PM
Yes
01/05/2018 11:25 AM
Yes
01/05/2018 11:23 AM
Yes
01/05/2018 11:22 AM
Yes

Gary Waissi

Good morning lostmtnman,

Thank you for your patience while we worked to address your concerns. Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Hi lostmtnman, 

Thank you for your patience. Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hi lostmtnman, 

How has performance been lately? It's been a while since I've heard from you and I see that you canceled the dispatch I created for you last month. Is everything OK?

Thanks for inquiring Liz.  My download speed issue is still the same. SLOW!!!  Hughesnet did send a tech out here over a month ago to check out my site and equipment and repoint my dish to Echostar 17 vice Echostar 19 to see if that would correct the download speed issue.  He said my equipment checked out fine but couldn't do the repoint because he was not permitted by his company to climb up on the roof which is necessary to do the repoint, so I'm still on Echostar 19.  I had expected to hear back from Hughesnet after they received his report regarding getting someone else to repoint the dish that is okay with climbing on the roof,  But no response yet.

Lostmtnman

Hi Lostmtnman,

Thank you for this interesting update. Let me escalate this to our installations department for their insight on this. We really want to get you repointed to address your speed concerns.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Good morning Lostmtnman,

Thank you for your patience, I've scheduled a dispatch which will send out a local dealer as opposed to the other company that previously visited your site. Your local dealer will be able to repoint your dish.

Your dispatch is currently scheduled for our earliest available slot: Saturday, Mar 3, 2018 between 11:00 AM-02:00 PM. Call us at 866.347.3292 and reference case #109824132 if you need to reschedule. Please let us know how the site visit goes.

Hi Lostmtnman,

Haven't heard from you in a while, I hope your site visit last weekend went well. Create a new post if you have any other concerns.

dconroy
New Poster

I have been having the same issue for months.  According to the company that installed the system, Hughes net is aware of this and has no fix in sight.  Apparantly they are offering some discounts.  When i talked to support they acted like they didn't know anything about it and tried to make me feel like I was imagining the slowness.  I can perform the same task with hughes net  (and get nowhere) and switch over to my phone hot spot and get great speed with no performance issue. that is pretty telling.  the speed test I have always used is showing a .3 download speed instead of 3.0 that I used to get using the same speed test.  The speed test Hughes has you use doesn't show the slowness.  no idea what it is testing.