cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Gen5 download speed

New Poster

Re: Slow Gen5 download speed

Same for me. Very slow speeds. We signed up a week ago and what a mistake. The internet is nearly unusable. We do a lot of online business but can't with Hughesnet. We have to resort to using our mobile hotspots for conducting business. Hughesnet is really awful. I have never had such poor service--worse than dial-up on a 386 computer.

Tutor

You should still be able to get out of your conract with HughesNet at this point.  I think you have a month iirc.

Distinguished Professor IV

@kdstevens

To troubleshoot your issue, please start a new post in this same section (Tech Support).  This will keep your issue separate.  

You can do so here...  https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/TechSupport

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Spectator

I was told my gateway was Missoula, Montana and there was snow there. I live in Texas where it rarely snows. So although this explains it, it doesn’t make me happy!
Assistant Professor

@Jrdane1 wrote:
I was told my gateway was Missoula, Montana and there was snow there. I live in Texas where it rarely snows. So although this explains it, it doesn’t make me happy!

That is how satellite works, nothing they can do about weather at your gateway. It is basically  wireless service subject to weather conditions and gateways are required to get the signal to and from the satellite and interface to the internet.

It does take some pretty severe weather to take a gateway offline.

Hi lostmtnman, 

How has performance been lately? It's been a while since I've heard from you and I see that you canceled the dispatch I created for you last month. Is everything OK?

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Highlighted
Freshman

Thanks for inquiring Liz.  My download speed issue is still the same. SLOW!!!  Hughesnet did send a tech out here over a month ago to check out my site and equipment and repoint my dish to Echostar 17 vice Echostar 19 to see if that would correct the download speed issue.  He said my equipment checked out fine but couldn't do the repoint because he was not permitted by his company to climb up on the roof which is necessary to do the repoint, so I'm still on Echostar 19.  I had expected to hear back from Hughesnet after they received his report regarding getting someone else to repoint the dish that is okay with climbing on the roof,  But no response yet.

Lostmtnman

Hi Lostmtnman,

Thank you for this interesting update. Let me escalate this to our installations department for their insight on this. We really want to get you repointed to address your speed concerns.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Good morning Lostmtnman,

Thank you for your patience, I've scheduled a dispatch which will send out a local dealer as opposed to the other company that previously visited your site. Your local dealer will be able to repoint your dish.

Your dispatch is currently scheduled for our earliest available slot: Saturday, Mar 3, 2018 between 11:00 AM-02:00 PM. Call us at 866.347.3292 and reference case #109824132 if you need to reschedule. Please let us know how the site visit goes.

Thanks,
Liz

New Poster

I have been having the same issue for months.  According to the company that installed the system, Hughes net is aware of this and has no fix in sight.  Apparantly they are offering some discounts.  When i talked to support they acted like they didn't know anything about it and tried to make me feel like I was imagining the slowness.  I can perform the same task with hughes net  (and get nowhere) and switch over to my phone hot spot and get great speed with no performance issue. that is pretty telling.  the speed test I have always used is showing a .3 download speed instead of 3.0 that I used to get using the same speed test.  The speed test Hughes has you use doesn't show the slowness.  no idea what it is testing.