So internet

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tpaynter1
Sophomore

So internet

My internet has been consistsnly having problems. I ran a sped test per the instructions and my upload and download speed is 0.3 Mbps. This speed makes it impossible to do even the simplest tasks. I attached the link. I know I'm over my good data and I'm downgraded and am fine with the downgrades speeds but it is promised to be 1-3 Mbps. I am consistantly below 1.0 based on past tests. I work from home since March because of Covid and I have had to miss several days in the past 2-3 months of work extra hours to get things done because of bad and slow service. What can I do to fix this and keep my speeds up. Upping my plan will not help because I will still go over it before the end of the month. I need to know how to keep my downgrades speeds to the promised 1-3 Mbps.  https://testmy.net/db/x6r5UcMoW.CWCpPChs8

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Liz

Good morning Tpaynter1,

Thanks for posting and working with the community. I pulled up your account to run diagnostics on your site and the HughesNet equipment is working normally. Please keep in mind that even when speeds are reduced while subject to the Fair Access Policy, those reduced speeds are still shared amongst all connected devices. 

So if you have multiple devices on the network trying to run on less than 3 Mbps, that's going to be split up- all those devices won't get 3 Mbps each.

As maratsade noted, speeds aren't guaranteed as they do fluctuate as a result of a multitude of factors. Our suggestion is to manage the monthly data or as some other customers do, buy tokens, to avoid the Fair Access Policy.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Tpaynter1 

In order to get help with your speed, some speed tests will need to be run, and in a specific way.  The instructions for those speed tests are herePlease be sure to read the instructions thoroughly before running the tests in order to ensure that they are properly run.  After some tests have been run, please post your testmy.net "My Results" page URL so the test results can be viewed.  

With this said, speed tests run while out of data and throttled will not be of value for troubleshooting purposes when it concerns your service speed.  It would be best to wait until you have data again to run the tests.   

As well, the advertised typical speed of 1-3Mbps when throttled is not promised, nor guaranteed.  However, if the speeds are inordinately low they will look into what may be going on.  But again, it would be best to wait until you have data to run the speed tests.

The reps are on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST.  They usually reply within a working day, but it can take them a little longer when coming back from a weekend.  It's also possible that the reps will give you a data token to enable you to properly run the speed tests if your plan data does not reset soon.  @Liz @Remy @Damian 

Tpaynter1
Sophomore

I don't know what you mean by throttled. I ran the test again per instructions and go similar results. https://testmy.net/db/Z2hOmlsb-.3YDOuGeps

GabeU

@Tpaynter1 wrote:

I don't know what you mean by throttled.  

"I know I'm over my good data and I'm downgraded and am fine with the downgrades speeds"

If you've exhausted your plan data, you're in FAP, and throttled. 

@Tpaynter1 wrote:

I ran the test again per instructions and go similar results. https://testmy.net/db/Z2hOmlsb-.3YDOuGeps

No, you didn't.  Please read this instructions thoroughly and run the tests as instructed.  And again, if you're out of data there is no sense in running the tests right now.

I am still concerned with improving my service during this time as I am in the downgraded unlimited data more than I am in the other during the month. Therefore waiting until it rests and I am in the good to do something will not solve my issues.  

Nowhere on the site does it allow me to choose the download or upload file size. I am using the allowed website so my results should still be valid. 

1B956508-53EC-4EB1-B3D2-5E325BB87B7B.jpegI cannot even test my service today as it continues to pop up at the bottom of the webpage saying connection lost. It does not reconnect and eventually the page times out and says it could not establish connection with the sever. Am I supposed to only have internet on the first few days of the month and then essentially pay to do without the remaining 80% of the month. It is advertised as "unlimited data at speeds typically 1-3 Mbps". "Typically" would imply that I at least usually have this speed. I never do. 

maratsade

How much data you have left at any time of the month depends on how much you use; HN doesn't use the data for you, they just sell you a data package.   If you consistently run out very soon after your data resets, you may need to consider upgrading to a larger data package or supplementing with tokens.  The biggest package is 50GB, but it can get depleted very quickly if you do data intensive activities. 

If you're out of data, you're throttled, so you should wait and run speed tests when your data resets.  

Tpaynter1 wrote:

I cannot even test my service today as it continues to pop up at the bottom of the webpage saying connection lost. It does not reconnect and eventually the page times out and says it could not establish connection with the sever. Am I supposed to only have internet on the first few days of the month and then essentially pay to do without the remaining 80% of the month. It is advertised as "unlimited data at speeds typically 1-3 Mbps". "Typically" would imply that I at least usually have this speed. I never do. 

The type of data plan I have is not the concern of this thread. The concern is the speeds consistsntly below 0.5 Mbps on the unlimited portion of my plan. This is a heavily advertised perk of the contract and it's not being delivered. It's pointless to advertise no data caps if the data is so slow it can't even open a basic webpage. I'm asking how to improve these speeds and anything else is irrelevant. 

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

The first thing you need to do is create an account with Testmy. This will allow you to run the correct test

maratsade

"Am I supposed to only have internet on the first few days of the month and then essentially pay to do without the remaining 80% of the month."

Only if you use  a lot of data. Using less will eliminate this problem. 

I am working from home. I use no social media or streaming or browsing service. Only what is needed for work via the program I'm told to use

@maratsade wrote:

"Am I supposed to only have internet on the first few days of the month and then essentially pay to do without the remaining 80% of the month."

Only if you use  a lot of data. Using less will eliminate this problem. 

. There is no way to further limit my usuage. 

maratsade

To have speed issues addressed in this community, first you will need to follow the procedure detailed here: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

Try to do it when not throttled or you are wasting your time. 

Tpaynter1 wrote:

The type of data plan I have is not the concern of this thread. The concern is the speeds consistsntly below 0.5 Mbps on the unlimited portion of my plan. This is a heavily advertised perk of the contract and it's not being delivered. It's pointless to advertise no data caps if the data is so slow it can't even open a basic webpage. I'm asking how to improve these speeds and anything else is irrelevant. 

maratsade

From the subscriber agreement:

1.1 SPEED CLAIMS AND DISCLAIMERS.

Stated speeds and uninterrupted use of service are not guaranteed. Actual speeds will likely be lower than the maximum speeds during peak hours. In addition, when connected to the Service using Wi-Fi, the user’s experience will vary based on the proximity to the Wi-Fi source and the strength of the signal, and its usage is subject to the Fair Access Policy.  Source: https://legal.hughesnet.com/SubAgree-03-16-17.cfm

From the website (https://www.hughesnet.com/about/hughesnet-gen5😞

*If you exceed your monthly plan data, you will experience reduced data speeds until the start of your next billing period. Reduced speeds will typically be in the range of 1–3 Mbps and may cause websites to load more slowly or affect the performance of certain activities, such as video streaming or large downloads/uploads. Speeds may vary and are not guaranteed.

**The HughesNet Gen5 service plans are designed to deliver download speeds of 25 Mbps and upload speeds of 3 Mbps, but individual customers may experience different speeds at different times of the day. Speeds and uninterrupted use are not guaranteed and may vary based on a variety of factors including: the configuration of your computer, the number of concurrent users, network or Internet congestion, the capabilities and content of the websites you are accessing, network management practices as deemed necessary, and other factors. When you connect to the HughesNet service using Wi-Fi, your experience will vary based on your proximity to the Wi-Fi source and the strength of the signal.

I already made an account before even starting this and have been logged in while running the tests. 

GabeU

@Tpaynter1 

Speed tests run in the manner instructed give more information than just overall speed, but while in FAP (throttled), that's pretty much all they do, especially when there is no non throttled tests to compare them to.  However, if you want to run tests while in FAP feel free, but you'll still need to run tests when you again have data in order to properly troubleshoot the problem.  

When the reps see this thread they may also want to run remote diagnostics to ensure all equipment is in working order.

Liz

Good morning Tpaynter1,

Thanks for posting and working with the community. I pulled up your account to run diagnostics on your site and the HughesNet equipment is working normally. Please keep in mind that even when speeds are reduced while subject to the Fair Access Policy, those reduced speeds are still shared amongst all connected devices. 

So if you have multiple devices on the network trying to run on less than 3 Mbps, that's going to be split up- all those devices won't get 3 Mbps each.

As maratsade noted, speeds aren't guaranteed as they do fluctuate as a result of a multitude of factors. Our suggestion is to manage the monthly data or as some other customers do, buy tokens, to avoid the Fair Access Policy.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!