Spam emails

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nitaclay
Sophomore

Spam emails

In just the last few weeks, I have started receiving HUNDREDS of spam emails every day. Up until that time, I hardly ever received any. It does no good to mark them spam. What is going on with HughesNet that these are not being caught? The emails I send are also going to the recipients' junk mailboxes and some are even being blocked.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Good morning folks,

Thank you for your continued feedback, I'm sending these up to management who is keeping an eye on all this. They've also issued an official response:

We are aware that some customers are experiencing a significant increase in SPAM messages to their @Hughes.net email addresses. Our engineers are working to resolve the issue as quickly as possible.

We apologize for the inconvenience this influx of unwanted messages has created and encourage you to flag them as SPAM to remove them from your inbox. Marking messages as SPAM also helps improve the filtering algorithms. Simply click the checkbox next to any SPAM messages and then click the shield icon in the upper right corner of the menu bar. 

Please let us know if you're seeing any improvement now, there have been some changes recently. Looking forward to your feedback.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@nitaclay 

Your email address likely got out and is available to spammers.  Once the spam starts there's not a whole lot you can do to stop it, and spam filters can only do so much.  About the only thing I can suggest with that is creating a new email address and migrating to that, but be careful where you "use" it so you don't start getting inundated with spam again.  

As for your outgoing emails going into junk mailboxes and some of it being blocked, it's very possible that the recipients' providers have hughes.net flagged for spam.  Unfortunately, this isn't anything new.  The reps may reply with some ideas, or even a request for some information from you to see if anything can be done.  If they need any information that should be sent privately they'll ask for it to be sent via PM, for which they'll provide a link.  

The reps are on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST, so the earliest you'll see a reply from one is Monday.

AlfredEisenberg
Freshman

I had a spam filter defined in my webmail settings, which I didn't realize, but until November 11 it was succesfully filtering out most spam.

Now I'm getting about 10 or 20 times the amount of spam I was seeing in my pop email reader.

The fiter looks kind of lilke this, and I don't remember if/when I actually set this or if it was there by default.   I don't know where to find any documentation of this spam level to specify.

So something changed, either the criteria changed or the filters aren't working, or that info isn't in the headers for some reason any more.

Anyone know a fix for this?

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 10.57.19 AM.png

maratsade

The filters look different now. They may have changed when Webmail was updated. 

Add a new filter settingAdd a new filter setting

Block or allow specific sendersBlock or allow specific senders

@AlfredEisenberg wrote:

I had a spam filter defined in my webmail settings, which I didn't realize, but until November 11 it was succesfully filtering out most spam.

Now I'm getting about 10 or 20 times the amount of spam I was seeing in my pop email reader.

The fiter looks kind of lilke this, and I don't remember if/when I actually set this or if it was there by default.   I don't know where to find any documentation of this spam level to specify.

So something changed, either the criteria changed or the filters aren't working, or that info isn't in the headers for some reason any more.

Anyone know a fix for this?

if you click on advanced you will see a different setup.  But, since november 11 this doesn't work any more. 

Selecting specfic titles or from addresses never works because they are always changing.

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 1.32.14 PM.png

Pete_Vit
Senior

I have seen the same issues, before this last 'upgrade' as I mark emails as spam it would task a long time before I started seeing them again, now it's as if the know spam filters are off, so I started blocking them based on the email headers, once I block them and save the changes, I get another from the same email address, hundreds every hour, there's an issue when I block a know spammer and they keep showing up in my inbox. Outlook and outlook 365 I use at work......works !

Carmen 

Carmen Vitullo

It has to be something that changed with the "upgrade!" Yes, I also block every spam email, and they continue to send more from the same address. I do not have time to block hundreds of emails every day, and I'm sure no one else does either. HughesNet, we would appreciate hearing from you!!

yesterday I found another glitch with the email web client, when I mark emails as junk, I empty my junk folder and it still shows 141 junk emails in that folder

checking the folder, it shows empty
Carmen Vitullo
maratsade

That's likely temporary -- did you check again today? Is it still showing 141 emails in the folder?

@Pete_Vit wrote:

yesterday I found another glitch with the email web client, when I mark emails as junk, I empty my junk folder and it still shows 141 junk emails in that folder

@maratsade wrote:

That's likely temporary -- did you check again today? Is it still showing 141 emails in the folder?

@Pete_Vit wrote:

Yes, I closed my browser, cleaered Cache, signed in again, when empty still shows 141 in my junk folder 

Carmen Vitullo
maratsade

Well, boo. 😞

Could you post a screenshot for the reps? 

EDIT: never mind -- it may be related to the larger issue, and HughesNet is working on a solution with their email admins. Keep in mind that sometimes ferreting out a cause for problems can take time, sometimes a long time. The good news is they're on it.  

Agree with nitaclay and and others something has "changed" with the email provider. Far too many users are being subjected to this excessive spam. Hughes should provide an explanation or guidance as to what the issue is.

Agree that addresses can be hacked /stolen from users or careless web sites but to the extend we are seeing is difficult to accept. 

Update:

While it may not seem like it's doing anything, please DO mark these spammy e-mails as spam and move them into the spam folder if they weren't automatically; this is helping the e-mail admins address this issue.

I'll let you know of any other news on their progress.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Liz,

Thanks for the update.

Did find the the block feature on the webmail site - it allows one to select multiple emails and block the the address. Assume that also goes into some type of spam folder for Admin.

Did well over 250 today - hope this helps the cause!

Thanks Richard3, I'm checking with the e-mail folks to see if that does the same thing and is helpful to them-I'll let you know.

Very understandable, Alfred. I know we have a separate case for you since you initially brought this up elsewhere, but I'll be sure to include your feedback in my case for the community as well.

-Liz

better to mark them as spam rather than block.  Block just blocks the sender's address which the spammers change constanly.

that also moves it to the spam folder. you can select multiple and clck circled button below if you haven't seen it.  I'm assuming whatever tool us used looks at emails you mark as spam and somehow tries to figure out a way to auto spam them.

Untitled.png

just a few I added to the blocked list that keep showing up

• admin@acrey.milastle.com
  • admin@milastle.com
  • admin@ngeh.haterentes.com
  • reply@tearostupp.com
  • return@caseri.planetomed.com
  • return@cpav.themoduthe.com
  • return@jordingliked.com
  • x9kdnvwo@ngeh.haterentes.com
BlockRemoveCapture.PNG
Carmen Vitullo

Same here! I've been blocking these for days, and they continue to come!

Today, 2 spam emails came through - spammers are either off or someone fixed something Smiley Very Happy

Carmen Vitullo

Yes, very few on Wednesday. Then today, many spam emails again--except now they are from different web addresses than before and have different subject lines.

There is no reason whatsoever, that anyone here (paying customer) should be doing anything. This is not the customers fault for marking it or not marking, or putting it in one file or another. To suggest we should be doing anything other than paying our bill in a timely manner is absurd, unless of course, Hughes would like to pay me by the hour to do so, then I guess it's negotiable.

We, the paying customer, shouldn't be doing anything but enjoying our email experience hassle free.

There is clearly gross incompetence, bordering on negligence, for this to continue.

Does Hughesnet need the number for the Herjevec group? 1-877-275-5549

Hughes needs them, or some 14 year old kid from the valley to help.

What excuse will there be tomorrow?