Tech Support Called About My Speed

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ecoalex2
Tutor

Tech Support Called About My Speed

I received 2 calls yesterday, one from service, one from tech support.

The first call was a reiteration of the FAP policy.

The second call from tech support was the same. The Rep said all was fine and I was in FAP, so nothing is wrong.

I explained the very low speed problem; so low that testmytest.com cannot perform tests.Yesterday afternoon at 2 :00 Pm my speed in the one test that did work was 120 Kps. In my past evenings I had speeds as low, almost in the 215Kps range.

I have had great speeds for years since the last problem I had, usually about 1 Mps , which works well for us, during FAP, which for us is almost the entire month.

Since this is a new problem, I thought there was a problem, something definitely has changed, but I am told no, you're in FAP.

Some mornings even during the bonus period I had under 1Mps, I would restart the modem, and see 12Mps or better. This seems to be something wrong.

So now I am left with dial-up speed and less, and have to live with it, or change plans. I don't need high speed, just a usable 1 Mps . I am told this is not possible. What happened to my great Hughes service?

Tiny Cat.png

6 REPLIES 6
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Could you be a victim of congestion? If there are a lot of people in your area (or your beam), this will impact speeds for everyone and will be especially noticeable in FAP. 

The question is why only for the past week or so? What has changed? It is very bad when testmytest cannot perform a test. What causes a restart of the modem to fix a slow speed during the bonus period, and during FAP? Thanks

maratsade

Yes, those are fair questions.  Have they added many more accounts to your beam during the last seven days? It sounds somewhat far-fetched, but I suppose it could happen. 

I wonder if things will change for you when the new satellite is ready for business. If so, that would be evidence of a congestion-related issue. Doesn't help you now, though. 

ecoalex2
Tutor

No, a new bird doesn't help me now. I bit the bullet and upgraded to 50 Mbs. The price was near the same for the limited time. It will be good to see an improvement. Thanks for the replies.

Swimmer.png

maratsade

I meant that if people move to the new satellite, you would see less congestion on yours.

GabeU

@ecoalex2 wrote:

No, a new bird doesn't help me now. I bit the bullet and upgraded to 50 Mbs. The price was near the same for the limited time. It will be good to see an improvement. Thanks for the replies.

Once the new bird is operational there may be an option to move to it. And with you being a longtime subscriber, even if you're currently locked into a commitment it might still be able to happen without a penalty, though I can't say for sure.

I remember moving from Echostar 17 to Echostar 19 not long after it came online, and it was well worth it. There were some decent offers at the time, and they might do the same with the Echostar 24.