This site can't be reached--after HughesNet modem replaced

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pferron
Sophomore

This site can't be reached--after HughesNet modem replaced

Short story:  Hughes replaced our modem and antenna transponder after a nearby lightning strike fried both.  We had no problems restoring our WIFI to our desktop PCs and smartphones, but we immediately got "This site can't be reached...ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE" errors for some of the websites we typically visit, including Amazon.  Never had this problem before the new modem was installed.  We've powered off and reset the modem and all our devices multiple times, no help.  I changed the DNS settings on one of our desktops to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google DNS) and now that PC can get to any site I try to visit.  I installed a DNS changer app on my Android smartphone to do the same, but that has not helped.  Our smartphones have no trouble getting to any site if we disable the phones' WIFI and consume our cellphone carrier data plan (AT&T).

Hughes, what changed with the installation of the new modem (HT2000W), and what will it take to fix it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Humor me... It's very possible that there is a corrupted DNS record that is just hopping from one device to the other - it happens. They propagate between devices depending on what each device uses as it's DNS 'server', so switching things around wrt to the DNS is just complicating things. Please try the following steps in the order stated, which is the only way to ensure it's been eliminated:
1. Turn every device using the internet off (computer, phone, tablet...) - everything but the modem must be powered off first.

2. Reboot the HughesNet modem by unplugging its power plug from the wall socket.

3. Wait a minute, and plug the modem back in.

4. Wait another minute until the modem is fully online (all front panel indicators are back on) and start turning your devices back on, one by one.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
MarkJFine
Professor

There's currently an intermittent problem involving connections to Amazon and others that use Amazon Web Services servers with some installations. The fact that it happened with a replaced modem is likely coincidental. It's currently being researched and should be fixed soon.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

MarkJFine:  The Scourge of AWS. 😉

I've blocked them from every site I administer.

Edit: Except for about 4 IPs that needed to be keyholed in to support one thing.

Wondering how changing the DNS on my desktop allowed me to get to the Amazon (and other AWS sites)...

Perhaps, in your case, there was an issue with corrupted entries with the DNS cache. This is actually a more common problem than you'd think.

Hi pferron,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting and sharing your findings. I'll send this over to engineering so they are aware. Just to confirm, you had a HT1100 before this last modem replacement? And per your latest post, you resolved the issue by changing the DNS on your desktop, but that the issue persists on the mobile devices despite trying a DNS changer app?

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

yes, Liz, that's correct, you've restated my problem exactly.

GabeU

@pferron 

With regard to the phone, it's possible that the app isn't properly overriding HughesNet's own DNS.  I found the following concerning a way to change the DNS directly in the phone without having to use any 3rd party app...

https://www.dignited.com/33627/change-your-phone-dns-server/

Also, have you tried changing the DNS in the HT2000W?  I have mine set to Google's DNS and I don't have any of the issues you're experiencing.  Then again, it's possible that it's your connection path due to your ground station's location that makes the difference, but it still might be worth a try.  To change your HT2000W's DNS, do the following from a LAN cable connected device (in case something causes a WiFi connection loss)...

1.  Go to this page, and use admin as the password to enter the WiFi Settings.

2.  On the left, click on Advanced Setup, the DNS.  

3.  Uncheck "Obtain from ISP", enter the DNS info (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for Google), then click Save Settings.  

4.  After the settings are saved, log out of and exit the WiFi Settings page.  

After this, anything that is connected to the modem and set to automatically obtain the DNS should resolve to using Google's DNS, including your phone (you should disable or uninstall that DNS app if you do this, though make sure to set it back to automatic before doing so).  You can leave the desktop set to Google's, or set it back to automatic.  Either way, it should still use Google's DNS as long as the HT2000W is set this way.

Capture.JPG

Thanks, GabeU.  

This morning, before I saw your note, I found that my old Android phone WAS able to reach Amazon and other sites that hadn't been working.  Coincidentally, I just received a new Android phone, and though it connects to my WIFI, it WAS NOT able to reach Amazon and the other sites.  Puzzling.

Then I saw your note, and applied the DNS remapping to the Hughes modem.  I rebooted everything after that.  My desktop can reach Amazon etc. as before, but NEITHER of the Android phones can, the old one or the new one.  Drat.  I've just confirmed that the DNS remapping "took"--obtain from ISP is unchecked, and the DNS addresses are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

Now I'm thinking that either Hughes applied an overnight fix that made my old Android phone work briefly this morning and that fix was overcome by something else, or the problem itself is intermittent.  But I still have the problem.  

By rebooting everything, you likely cleared the DNS cache(s), which may have fixed it.

No, perhaps I wasn't clear.  After redirecting the Hughes modem DNS and rebooting everything, my phones CANNOT reach the Amazon etc. sites.  My desktop's access was unaffected by the reboot--it's been able to reach Amazon etc. since I changed its default DNS to Google a few days ago.  

Net-net:  Except for a brief period this morning, my phones can't reach Amazon and other sites thru the Hughes modem, both before and after changing the modem's DNS setting.  

Good morning pferron,

Thank you for this additional information, I've sent it over to the engineers for their insight.  Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Humor me... It's very possible that there is a corrupted DNS record that is just hopping from one device to the other - it happens. They propagate between devices depending on what each device uses as it's DNS 'server', so switching things around wrt to the DNS is just complicating things. Please try the following steps in the order stated, which is the only way to ensure it's been eliminated:
1. Turn every device using the internet off (computer, phone, tablet...) - everything but the modem must be powered off first.

2. Reboot the HughesNet modem by unplugging its power plug from the wall socket.

3. Wait a minute, and plug the modem back in.

4. Wait another minute until the modem is fully online (all front panel indicators are back on) and start turning your devices back on, one by one.

MarkjFine, I did those steps exactly as you described--and it seems to have worked!  Have been able to access all the usual sites including Amazon and others (AWS-powered?) without issues from our two desktops and my two smartphones.  It's been about 90 minutes and all is well.  

I think I need to have my wife turn off her smartphone before she gets home, then boot it up when she gets here, so (a) she will be able to access Amazon etc. sites, and (b) so her phone doesn't pollute our network with any corrupted DNS stuff.

Many thanks for the help.  I'll wait until tomorrow to confirm all is still well before marking this problem solved.

Awesome. Am unsure exactly why this happens, but it's possible that something gets corrupted when there's a weak, marginal, or interfered wifi signal and a URL is repeatedly looked up. I've had this problem myself with several apps/sites and the process (albeit cumbersome) fixes it every time.

GabeU

@pferron 

Eek!  I should have had you shut everything down and then power cycle the modem after changing the DNS in order to clear all of the old entries.  With the things I've learned over time from Mark regarding DNS issues (he knows his stuff), I should have remembered that.  

I'm glad it's up and running again.  🙂  

Good morning folks,

Glad to see Mark's suggestion helped! Thanks for sharing, I'm totally bookmarking this.

All is well a day later.   I've marked this problem as solved.

Many thanks everybody!

Awesome, have a great weekend pferron!