Tree in the way?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Tree in the way?

I have a tree that I think may be affecting my signal, but I'm not sure.  Today my signal strength is all over the place, ranging from the low 60s to the high 90s, and I have clear, blue skies, as does my gateway.  

I thought that a tree might be in the way a couple of months ago, but then my signal strength seemed to improve quite a bit.  I did notice, however, that when the last four of the IPGW string are in the 1200s, the signal tends to be in low-mid 90s, and when in the 1300s in the mid-upper 90s, and when in the 1400s the upper 90s to mid 100s.  Right now it's 1201 and my signal strength is 57.  It's bouncing all over the place.  Now it's 94.  There's a slight breeze, but nothing major.  I don't believe my dish is moving, as that's been pretty rock solid whenever I check it.  

Could someone check my system to see what might be going on?  

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KathyVoss

Hi Gabe,

After running diagnostics on your account, everything seems to be functioning on our end. There doesn't seem to be an issue with the alignment or the view of the dish. 

Kathy

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
KathyVoss

Hi Gabe,

After running diagnostics on your account, everything seems to be functioning on our end. There doesn't seem to be an issue with the alignment or the view of the dish. 

Kathy

GabeU

@KathyVoss 

Okay.  Thank you.  I appreciate you looking.

I was writing that second post while you posted your reply, so I didn't see it before posting mine.  

No problem, feel free to reach out at any time.

Kathy

GabeU

@KathyVoss 

Do you have any idea why it could be fluctuating all over the place like it is?  It will literally change from 95 to 73 in seconds, then go back up, then change all over the place in between.  

The following are snapshots at five second intervals...

RSS1.jpg

RSS2.jpg

RSS3.jpg

RSS4.jpg

RSS5.jpg

RSS6.jpg

Should look at the site history log. If its jumping up and down then it probably is a tree..

GabeU

@gokartergo24 wrote:

Should look at the site history log. If its jumping up and down then it probably is a tree..

I think it likely is a tree.  Thankfully, I know exactly which one and it wouldn't too hard to take it down.  It's not a big one, thankfully.  It's even worse today, dropping down into the 50s and even 40s, then back up into the 90s within a second or two.  

I believe it is affecting my service.  Yesterday it took nearly eight hours to perform my Windows Updates.  It would have normally taken less than fifteen minutes or so.  With this said, there's no sense in going through any troubleshooting until that tree comes down.

This is when it's dumping so low I lose connection.  Only four instances, but still.  Mostly clear skies...

Capture.JPG

I think the tree is coming down this evening.  I've got to get some rope to pull it in the opposite direction of the house with our lawn tractor before I cut it.  

This is the tree in question.  It's edited together, as it was too big to fit into one pic.  The red line is where I believe it's interfering with the signal.  

WholeEdited.jpg

GabeU

@gokartergo24 

@KathyVoss 

@maratsade 

It was getting progressively worse today, so I couldn't wait any longer. 

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Though I have to go back out and finish up, the tree is now down.  No fluctuation anymore.   🙂  

Capture.JPG

maratsade

Glad removing the tree worked!

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

Glad removing the tree worked!

Me too!  😛 

The SRSS is holding steady at 101/102.  🙂  

A side by side comparison, and please excuse the exposure differences...

Cut.jpg

The other half that is still standing is going to come down too, but I can do that in the fall, when it's cooler.  It's one tree that Yd just above the surface, and the half that came down Yd again, as you can see where it's cut.  These Black Locust trees are awful.  

maratsade

How long did it take you to trim that tree?  Looks like a lot of work. 

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

How long did it take you to trim that tree?  Looks like a lot of work. 

It was about two hours total.  

I had gotten a length of rope earlier in the day and tied that to the tree and the other end to our lawn tractor, pulling it taut, as I wanted to make sure it came down in the direction I wanted.  Unfortunately, there was a good breeze at this point, and when I cut it, sure enough, it came down in the direction of my dish!  LOL.  Had it been ten feet taller it would have taken out the dish, and hit the house.  The wind was just too much to overcome.  In reality, had I not tied the rope to it it likely would have fallen in a place that would have been fine.  Oh well, lesson learned.  

Untitled.jpg

maratsade

That sounds like the plot for a comedy, for one, and for two, you were lucky the whole thing didn't come down on your house and your dish!  

That is why I tried to get them to look at site History.  That would show the flucuation.

maratsade

Is that something we can see via the SCC, or is it only available to them from their side?

@gokartergo24 wrote:

That is why I tried to get them to look at site History.  That would show the flucuation.

GabeU

@gokartergo24 wrote:

Is that something they would have seen in my modem?  The reason I ask is that, although I had it on at the time and I actually plugged it in early this morning for any reps who wanted to run diagnostics, I always unplug my modem at the end of the day, so I don't normally have more than a day's worth of logs at a time.

No they see the site history.. I can see it when I get a repair order.. But if you unplug the modem everynight. Then no there will not be a site history. It takes 24 hours for a site history to start. Then you can look back up to a year..

I'm not sure why the signal is doing that but from our end, all the diagnostics are showing the equipment working normally. If you have any problem browsing, we're happy to look into that.

Kathy 

GabeU

Well, so much for that higher IPGW number, higher signal strength claim.  It's now on "channel" 1410 and it's fluctuating from the low 70s through the mid 90s.  Barely any wind now.