VPN on Gen 5

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gary2
New Poster

VPN on Gen 5

I have been on Gen 4 for several years and I'm considering upgrading to Gen 5 for more speed and data. My wife works from home and has been using VPN with limited success. Has anyone used VPN on their Gen 5 system after using the Gen 4 system. My concern is that if I change to Gen 5 and it is worse to the point she can"t use VPN on the new system, I wont't be able to revert back to the old system which would cause her major problems.  Is the Gen 5 a big improvement over the Gen 4? Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I love my Gen5, but from the get go I noticed much more latency, so things seem slower. Didn't affect the VPN, though, oddly. But overall, Gen 5 rocks. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
maratsade

I've used a VPN for work, and used it without a problem with both Gen 4 and Gen 5.  But your mileage may vary depending on many things, such as congestion.  So if your wife depends on a VPN for work, you may want to think about staying with Gen 4, since it works for you (at least moderately).  There really is no guarantee that a VPN will work with satellite internet, and you really have no way of knowing whether Gen 5 would work for you

Thank you maratsade for your reply. When you upgradeded to Gen 5, did you notice improvement in performance from Gen 4 ?

maratsade

I love my Gen5, but from the get go I noticed much more latency, so things seem slower. Didn't affect the VPN, though, oddly. But overall, Gen 5 rocks. 

Thanks again, I think I will stay with Gen 4 for the time being. I appreciate you for taking the time to respond.

davis46jam
New Poster

HughesNet Basic Service (Residential)  plan is not compatible with VPNs.

I sometimes use a NordVPN (or Bitdefender's) with HughesNet, but experienced reduced speeds as much as 75 - 90%. You can restore your connection to full speed by simply disabling your VPN client when your session is over.

HughesNet uses sophisticated acceleration techniques to enable high-speed performance over a satellite 23 thousand miles above the earth, a 46-thousand mile roundtrip. These acceleration techniques require access to data packet header information, which is blocked when VPNs are used. These VPNs encrypt the data and create a secure tunnel through the HughesNet network. The encrypted data cannot be processed by HughesNet's acceleration techniques, therefore resulting in slower performance. Tech Support told me that a Business Plan may be different, but the price differential was too much. A cheaper solution was to get a wi-fi hotspot from a cellular service company, because cellular has, or you can set, a "VPN passthrough" and then the speed loss is generally less than or up to only ten percent.