What about my upgrade?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markobbie
Sophomore

What about my upgrade?

When I signed up for HughesNet last November, the salesman promised (yeah, I know) that the 10gb anytime allowance would double and speeds would increase after the first of the year, with the launch of a new satellite. When I checked in to these forums in January, I was told it would happen in March. So here we are in April, and I'm still stuck with a much slower service than I thought I was buying, one that runs out of data way, way sooner than I was told to expect based on my online activity.

I continually run out and get throttled back halfway through the month, sometimes sooner. Yes, I've checked everything that could possibly be draining data and cannot find any likely culprit, other than routine use of the web that my wife and I need for our work-from-home jobs. We don't stream video or music anymore. We turn our phones to cell data. We don't have Internet TV. We turn off online backup of our data except during the bonus-bytes hours. It's a mystery.

So I keep waiting for the promised upgrade to more data and faster speeds. What is going to happen and when? I was under the impression that it would just happen on the back end. But when I read threads on the board here about Gen-5 (I assume that's the new satellite), it sounds as though the upgrade I was promised will come with major strings attached: a service call that I have to pay for??? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@markobbie

The upgrade to Gen5 isn't something that is automatic.  It's something you have to actively pursue yourself.  

Check https://www.hughesnet.com/ .  Input your address to see what is available in your area.  

Keep in mind, too, that not all beams are active right now, so if there is nothing available for you now that doesn't mean there may not be something in the very near future.  You can also call and ask, and I would recommend doing so, even if all plans are listed as available now.  Use the phone number on that website.  

As for what's required and what it costs to upgrade, the pricing isn't the same for every situation.  Plus, being that you are currently in a contract and are fairly new, that may change the situation, as well.  Also, most likely, what be required is a dish repoint and a new modem.   With that said, depending on your location, that may even be different.  The prices and process are not the same for any and every situation.   

Again, though, you should go to that site and check out what's available in your area at this time.  Then, even further, you should call the number and ask what it would cost and require.  

Good luck.   

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
tampasteve1
Sophomore

Yes, if you were installed that long back then you are on one of the older satellites. In order for Gen5 speeds you will need to, at minimum, have your dish pointed to the new Jupiter 2 satellite Echostar 19. You may need a different modem too. Eventually Echostar 17 will support Gen5 service and speeds, but not yet from what I understand. Perhaps one of the mods will be able to help you out in regards to your specific situation. Also, the Gen5 plans are not all the same as the old plans, so there may be something to look at there as well.

Thank you. Too bad the only answer so far is from a (smarter) fellow customer. Wouldn't this circumstance be something all customers need to understand? Seems like we should be notified of new options, and what we need to do. And, once I understand how it all works, I will be figuring out how badly I was scammed by my salesman -- and what to do about it. 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@markobbie

The upgrade to Gen5 isn't something that is automatic.  It's something you have to actively pursue yourself.  

Check https://www.hughesnet.com/ .  Input your address to see what is available in your area.  

Keep in mind, too, that not all beams are active right now, so if there is nothing available for you now that doesn't mean there may not be something in the very near future.  You can also call and ask, and I would recommend doing so, even if all plans are listed as available now.  Use the phone number on that website.  

As for what's required and what it costs to upgrade, the pricing isn't the same for every situation.  Plus, being that you are currently in a contract and are fairly new, that may change the situation, as well.  Also, most likely, what be required is a dish repoint and a new modem.   With that said, depending on your location, that may even be different.  The prices and process are not the same for any and every situation.   

Again, though, you should go to that site and check out what's available in your area at this time.  Then, even further, you should call the number and ask what it would cost and require.  

Good luck.