Wifi going down

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
farmerhugh
Junior

Wifi going down

For the last two weeks my internet goes down 1 or 2 times a day.  The Hughes Net modem lights (the ones that are lite) are solid.  When I reset the modem it comes back up.  Is there any way you can check on your end and see if theres a problem with the modem??  Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have a dlink router that Amanda sent me a few months ago.  However Thursday night when it disconnected and I went thru the routine keying in the numbers I got a message to register my router which I did (I know I did this when I connected it up)  I went thru the process again, but this time I got an email to validate the registration (which I do not recall getting the first time)  Its been working fine so far so looks like problem solved,  Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Hi @farmerhugh, have you checked to make sure it isn't something on the WiFi side timing out like the router or the adapter on the device? The first things to check when connection is dropping out. Thanks.

@BirdDog

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Hi Farmerhugh,

Try to imagine following a path  ... a communication path ... and there is one

The "path" is going to consist of a point starting with a computer or device and the first thing encountered along the path (either wired or wireless) is your Router. Its "address" along the path is 192.168.0.1

The next place along the path is your Modem, its address is 192.168.0.1

Rather like this:

The path Main.PNG

In the above we can see and travel the entire distance of the path and we can "visit" places along the path by entering it IP address. In the above that path starts at the computer and extends all the way to the Internet.

Now what happens if the path is washed out or blocked at certain key points?

Break Point 1 snip.png

If the path is broken at Point 1 (somewhere between the computer and the Router) we can not reach the first waypoint along the path nor any point beyond it. This problem is within the users Network.

Lets look at another place the path can be washed out or broken:

Break Point 2.png

In this case we can enter the address of the first waypoint and be able to "see" it ... that is our Router. If we can see the Router we know our path is intact that far.

With the path broken as in the above picture if we try to see the second waypoint along our path (the Modem) we can not "see the Modems SCC at 192.168.0.1

We then know the break is between our Router and the Modem. It could be a WAN (Wide Area Network) issue with our Router, cable between the router and the modem, a IP address conflict or even a dead Modem. At least we know the general area of the break. This would dictate that we connect a computer directly to the Modem, thereby shortening the path and once again see if we can contact the Modems SCC at 192.168.0.1

There is one more place that a break can occur:

Break Point 3.png

Here as we follow the path .. Router (192.168.1.1), good we can "see" it. Modem (192.168.1.1) good to point ... we can see the SCC and we may see some error codes listed but some connections are not going to work ... as an example we may get null values for remaining data.

This is a problem starting at the Modem and going outward towards the Hughes Gateway.

This can be due to a modem failure, ODU failure or a Gateway problem. The type of error codes listed in SCC will give some insight.

farmerhugh
Junior

This should read "internet " going down.  Not too sure I like this new format.  We were having problems with the wifi a couple months ago  after Amanda sent us a new router that problem went away,  I don't see an edit button.

The EDIT button is the three little dots highlighted here in the righthand upper corner of the reply:

Edit snip.PNG

So by "internet going down" it still could be anywhere in the three break points I posted above. You will not have Internet access if there is a break in any of them.

When this happens can you access the Modems SCC?

What are the codes if any listed?

Do you know how to access the Modems State Code Monitor?

State Code Monitor.PNG

Again, when you have an issue the questions ... in order are:

Are all five of the front panel Modem LED's lit?

Can I see the first address along my cable path, the Router? (192.168.1.1)

Can I see the second address along my cable path, the Modem SCC (192.168.0.1)

Finally, is my Modem "seeing" the Gateway and Internet? (access remaining data info, access to a website)

farmerhugh
Junior

I have to wonder if this isn't the same problem Chicagojohn is having.  I also am in Illinois. i can't figure out how to check the numbers you gave me to use,  I go to my browser type in the numbers and get a bunch of web pages.  I also can't figure out how to put a "snip" picture on these replies as I used to.  I apologize as I am really computer challenged.   I know I m doing this wrong.

Assuming  you  are connecting  wirelessly, you would first  open a browser, put your mouse in the browsers address bar and click the mouse then enter the numbers 192.168.1.1

Don't forget to enter the decimal points where shown.

This will bring up your Routers  log in page.

If you can't reach the Router in this manner it is indicative  of a wireless problem between your computer and your Router or a Router configuration  problem.

Next you would do the same but instead enter 192.168.0.1

If the Modems  SCC  page opens this means you have connectivity through the Router  and into the Modem.

While there  you should be able to see any listed error  codes  and you should also be able to see your remaining  data allowance. The latter means your Modem is connected to the Hughes Gateway and you should  then also have access to the internet.

As to snips, open the snipping tool and take the desired  screenshot and then save it to your desktop.

Once save you can add it to your community post  by clicking the camera icon just above your post  with the word Photos  next to it, navigate  to where you saved the snip and then hit the upload  button and then hit the reply button to post your reply.

3-15.PNG

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Don't enter in search box, type in the address bar and then hit "Enter" key. Make sure it is 192.168.1.1 not 192.168.11

router access.JPG

3-20.PNGthis is what I get each time this happens--it resets--does this indicate that it is the router??

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

If you can't get to your router interface by going to 192.168.1.1 then either it may be misconfigured or having a hardware problem. What make and model of router? The default IP address may be set to 192.168.0.1 which will conflict with the Hughes modem.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

We have to verify a couple of things.

Do you have HughesNet VOIP phone service?

Cable connections:

Router Connections.png

Note the following:

The Computer has one single output. It runs to one of the port on the rear of the router.

It is important that it is connected to one of the Routers four LAN ports, not the 5th somewhat off-set WAN port.

Verify that you are connected computer NIC> to router LAN> from Router WAN to Modem

I do not have voip from Hughes.   (I am old and can't part with my landline lol)

I checked the cables.  The only thing I had different  was the computer wire was in outlet 2--I moved it to one as you indicated. 

That wouldn't  make a difference  as long as it was plugged  into one of the four  LAN ports.

What brand of router do you have?

I have a dlink router that Amanda sent me a few months ago.  However Thursday night when it disconnected and I went thru the routine keying in the numbers I got a message to register my router which I did (I know I did this when I connected it up)  I went thru the process again, but this time I got an email to validate the registration (which I do not recall getting the first time)  Its been working fine so far so looks like problem solved,  Thanks for your help.