connecting a yagi directional antenna

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
klimshelf
Freshman

connecting a yagi directional antenna

Is there a way to connect a yagi directional antenna cable directly to the HT2000W modem? Looks like a LAN connector is the obvious option on the modem but is there an adapter that will connect the LAN cable to an external antenna?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If you mean using a yagi to beam the wifi, I'm pretty certain you can't do that with this modem. You have to use the internal omnidirectional antenna, which is matched to the wifi chip, or whatever setup you have using an external router.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@klimshelf 

No.  The HT2000W modem can only operate when connected to the required satellite dish.  A yagi antenna would do nothing and could very well cause damage to the modem.

Thanks for your reply. I do understand that the modem must be connected to the Hughes dish antenna, and it is. What I'm looking for is a way to connect the outgoing data from the modem to a yagi directional antenna instead of to a router. Right now the modem is connected to a router and the yagi is connected via cable to one the antenna terminals on the router. I want to bypass the router and go directly to the yagi.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@klimshelf 

Ah, okay.  I see what you're saying, and I'm relatively sure you can't, but I'll defer to someone who's better informed about this kind of thing.  Maybe @MarkJFine or @Michael57, or even the reps themselves when they get back from the weekend.  

If you mean using a yagi to beam the wifi, I'm pretty certain you can't do that with this modem. You have to use the internal omnidirectional antenna, which is matched to the wifi chip, or whatever setup you have using an external router.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

That's pretty much what I figured, but thought it was worth asking of people who know more than me. I'll continue using the router with yagi attached. Thanks for your replies.