New Gen5 WiFi doesn't work reliably

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mahansc
Freshman

New Gen5 WiFi doesn't work reliably

The signal is fantastic in the house (1400 sqft one level) but when i go on the back porch the signal drops to half it's strength, what gives. I can't even stand in my back yard and have a signal. I have a comms background and I understand walls, floors etc, but I have none of that except a half wall btwn me and my porch and a 6' slidng door of course and the modem is up high. Is there a way to tweek the the wifi settings like the signal strength etc. if so where do i go for this (web address???) if not then i guess all i can do is to install a repeater. 

is there a better modem/wifi router on the market that would work better or should I just simply install a extender/repeater?

Thanks Scott M

6 REPLIES 6
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Depending on wall construction, as well as distance and frequency in use, a signal loss of 50% through one wall wouldn't be abnormal for any Wireless AP.  I would probably go with a repeater in your situation.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@mahansc

Though you may have already considered this, if you are using the 5Ghz radio you could try using the 2.4Ghz radio, which has better range.  And, if the speed is lower with the latter radio there may be tweaks to improve it.  

vhoori27

Does the Gen5 Wifi suck as bad as the Gen4? Can't wait until Verizon or ANYONE is able to compete out here in this area. Literally spend half of my PC time playing Spider Solitaire or Mahjong because Hughes Net is so awful and outrageously priced for so little. (There might be some internet out Californee way)

GabeU

@vhoori27

This is a support site, not a complaint site.  If you would like help with your issue, please create a new topic in the "Tech Support" section by clicking on the blue "Create a topic" button on the upper right while within said section.  Please describe the issue, and what you have done thus far, if anything, to try to fix the problem or to have the problem fixed.   

maratsade

@vhoori27 wrote:

Does the Gen5 Wifi suck as bad as the Gen4? Can't wait until Verizon or ANYONE is able to compete out here in this area. Literally spend half of my PC time playing Spider Solitaire or Mahjong because Hughes Net is so awful and outrageously priced for so little. (There might be some internet out Californee way)

Verizon is spectacularly crappy where I live and Hughesnet is WAY better -- I've had HN for  over 10 years, with very minimal issues -- can't say the same thing for Verizon.  You may of course have a different experience when they come to your area. 

I also have been locked into having GEN4 for almost 2 years and it is by far the worst internet provider I have ever experienced. I am switiching to Verizon on my phone and will be using hotspot, so far it has worked marvelous.