Router switch

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HHerring502
New Poster

Router switch

I was going to switch routers to a netgear but realized the HN has a rg59 plugin anyone know an adapter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@HHerring502 

You are required to use the HughesNet modem.  The service will not work without it.  You can, however, use a 3rd party router, like your Netgear, with the HughesNet modem, which would connect to such with an Ethernet cable.  

If you use the WiFi of the 3rd party router you should disable the WiFi in the HughesNet modem so that the two WiFi sources aren't interfering with each other.  Instructions for disabling the WiFi in the HughesNet HT2000W modem are here (Section 6 (How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?)). 

Edit:  In addition to what's shown in those instructions, while in the same WiFi Settings area of the HughesNet modem you should click on Advanced Setup >> Wireless (on the left), then uncheck the box of the band you plan to use with the Netgear router, then click Save Settings.  If the Netgear router provides WiFi for both bands, uncheck both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz boxes at the top, then click Save Settings.  This step disables the bands themselves, not just the SSID, so there will be absolutely no WiFi signal interference from the HughesNet HT2000W modem.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GabeU

@HHerring502 

You are required to use the HughesNet modem.  The service will not work without it.  You can, however, use a 3rd party router, like your Netgear, with the HughesNet modem, which would connect to such with an Ethernet cable.  

If you use the WiFi of the 3rd party router you should disable the WiFi in the HughesNet modem so that the two WiFi sources aren't interfering with each other.  Instructions for disabling the WiFi in the HughesNet HT2000W modem are here (Section 6 (How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?)). 

Edit:  In addition to what's shown in those instructions, while in the same WiFi Settings area of the HughesNet modem you should click on Advanced Setup >> Wireless (on the left), then uncheck the box of the band you plan to use with the Netgear router, then click Save Settings.  If the Netgear router provides WiFi for both bands, uncheck both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz boxes at the top, then click Save Settings.  This step disables the bands themselves, not just the SSID, so there will be absolutely no WiFi signal interference from the HughesNet HT2000W modem.

Thank you I saw this mentioned in the community had an idea but wasn't sure

GabeU

@HHerring502 

You're very welcome.  I'm glad I could be of help.  🙂