cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Main Router Discussion Topic

Pawnee County

Re: The Main Router Discussion Topic

I have HN1100 with an Readi Net WRT 300 N DD it was part of the deal for the install so I don't know much about it.  It seems to be working fine I get 12 to 20 Downloads constantly depending on time of day.  I gave my Shop CP to my Brother so I had to build another so I put together an old Dell 2300 1.7  XP home  with only 64 mb SDRAM.  I figured it would run pretty slow but got surprised it cooked along pretty good and streams audio very well. (The basic use for my shop PC is a radio) It is connected to my router with a 70 foot Cat5 cable.  I don't know much about this thing but seem great to me. 

Before I got the router I used a Cat5 Cross cable connected to my main PC and don't see any difference in connection speed.  My new main PC uses wireless and shows only 70 to 85 percent signal.  I am thinking after reading this of making a Cat5 cable and hooking it direct to see if it makes a difference.  The only thing is I do believe in, "if it isn't broke don't fix it".
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Gary, one of the points being made is that with wireless especially, it can look like it isn't broke but is. I've read lots of posts on other sites about the radio going south in routers but they appear to be fine. Things like not putting out the power they're supposed to.
Pawnee County

Sgoshe

That is why I am thinking of running a cable instead of wireless I mean I have over 500 feet of cat5 so it is just a matter of building a cable. If there is a noticeable difference I'll post it.  What got me thinking is the wireless signal is varying quite a bit. I noticed today it has been changing like from 70 to 85 percent.  It isn't going past 85 normally hovers around 81.  The router is like 5feet away from the PC so that has got me wondering where the signal loss is going.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Yea, that doesn't sound good. Could be the wireless receive or transmit going bad in the router.
Pawnee County

well when a old ancient Dell 2300 with 64 mb RAM seems to connect as well or better than my hyperthreaded Dual core Acer there may be a problem I'll let you know.  Hey Alan thanks for this post.
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

That would also eliminate the DHCP Lease problem with some routers since the modem would now be serving up the IPs instead of the router. That would be a good thing.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

That's because you're a "Power" user Smiley Happy
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I am against Hughes building in ANY wireless functionality UNLESS the customer gets complete control over it, such as, being able to disable it entirely.  I rather prefer having my own network equipment and then a basic modem from the ISP...  Letting the ISP handle my network addressing would cause me headaches, then again, I also have 30 or so devices total on my network.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Well, you are a geek freak.  Smiley Happy
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

My new main PC uses wireless and shows only 70 to 85 percent signal.
Those signal readings can be deceptive. Many of our customers think that it's an indication of Internet strength or browsing speed but it's not. It only indicates the strength of the wireless signal between the router and the device.

Normally, a decent router will pass data far faster than HN's 15 Mbps, even when the wireless signal is low.

(Please bear with me. I know a lot of you already know this stuff but I'm posting it for the benefit our other "non techie" readers)