ios download scheduler

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gertieg
Sophomore

ios download scheduler

Is there an app I can use to schedule downloads....for apple products? i would like to download Ted Talks.

11 REPLIES 11
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

There are quite a few, a search will give you what is available.

https://www.geckoandfly.com/7450/free-idm-for-apple-mac-osx-folx-internet-download-manager/

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

The OP seems to be asking for apps for iOS, the OS for the Apple mobile devices, though maybe s/he used the term incorrectly. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@maratsade wrote:

The OP seems to be asking for apps for iOS, the OS for the Apple mobile devices, though maybe s/he used the term incorrectly. 

Whoops, I get confused with Apple stuff. My wife's Ipod touch gives me enough grief. Smiley Happy

maratsade

If you're looking for apps for a mobile device (iPhone, iPad), you should go to the App Store and search for download manager.  But according to to ted.com, you can't download the videos to an iOS device. 

@gertieg wrote:

Is there an app I can use to schedule downloads....for apple products? i would like to download Ted Talks.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Just my opinion but it seems Apple is shooting themselves in the foot with their restrictions on software. Both Android and Windows are way more open and just being able to say you have an Iphone is losing its glamor.

I know several people who've converted to Android phones lately.

Sorry, really nothing to do with original question. Hard to hold one's tongue sometimes.

maratsade

Very likely -- they sure seem to have changed after Jobs' death. 

Birddog,

I have a samsung phone....I gave up on the apple phones many years ago. I still think about how much I loved my first Blackberry....simple and got the job done.

We were a PC family but my husband seems to understand how to use the Mac better...and we both have iPads, I tried a Samsung tablet and it just wasn't for me.

I agree that Apple is missing out not having the apps we could be using everyday. I can usually find something that will work but in this case I am left out of using Glasswire and a download manager.  I guess I could use my phone but what a pain.

MarkJFine
Professor

Unfortunately, I know of no iOS apps that will schedule downloads, but I do know of several apps that you can use to download them with.

Regarding iOS being somewhat 'closed'. There's basically only one integrated development environment for it: Apple's Xcode, and one specific language: Swift. Xcode is free (albeit huge - over 6GB) and you can develop things for yourself and others to test. BUT, in order to be able to distribute things you need to buy (forget how much.. think $100) a license from Apple. The license basically authenticates you with them as an authorized developer.

I have a free license where I can develop apps for myself and install them on my own device. I can even give them to people to test on their own devices. I just can't put anything up on the store for mass distro.

Bottom line: On one hand this keeps out a lot of blatant malware (although some does sneak in through ads) since it helps pay for testers prior to putting things up in the store. One the down side, it really puts a crimp on 'just throwing something out there' and seeing if it catches on, like in the old shareware days. So there's a lot less available, and a lot less overall creativity for the sake of security.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

@MarkJFine, does Apple exercise any kind of quality control or oversight on these apps and developers?

More QA on the apps than the developers themselves. The apps go through rigorous testing before they're posted. this is true for the macOS app store as well as the iOS app store. Though I'm pretty sure some developers could get their hands slapped for repeated breaches and failures I don't think they have a developer rating system, if that's what you're asking.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

As long as the apps are monitored for quality, that's fine.  🙂