How to support your customers

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FuegoValley
New Poster

How to support your customers

Hey Hughes "We are doing everything possible to make sure you stay connected in this challenging time." Net

Just got your email urging me to buy more tokens, because it's TOKEN MADNESS

Last time I was grabbing one because I can't load my trading platform without one (which I've been spending more time doing since my entire industry moved remote last year and my satellite services don't qualify for remote work period) I happened upon your very helpful and not-at-all-condescending article about "Working from Home Successfully with HughesNet"

I have a few thoughts.

Firstly, most workers and students do not get to choose which software they use. It is dictated by the employer or school. I'd assume you know this, being people who work, presumably, in a combination of office and remote positons. The software you have listed are easily the least demanded applications. So that is no way helpful to anyone.  (Frankly you're lucky if your employer will hire/remote you with satellite in the first place.) 

Secondly, and this is the big one... if you were honestly commited to supporting your customers, you would do the one simple, immediate thing that would change everyone's quality of life immeasurably: RAISE THE THROTTLED BACKGROUND UNLIMITED DATA BANDWIDTH.

EVEN JUST A LITTLE. JUST ANOTHER MB OR SO.  And LOTS OF THINGS START WORKING. Home office applications, VOIP services, any entertainment streamer besides Netflix... stop timing out with even a slight improvement in overal speed. Two people being able to browse the web at reasonable speeds at the same time should not be too much to ask for what we pay you.  

And don't say you can't! We know you can, because at the top of every month, your network splits open and TEARS IT UP when every. single. customer. you. have. gets their "DATA PACKAGE." We ALL get the same blazing speeds for like 2-3 days, and demand drops, as everyone runs out of data. 

You. Have. Spare. Capacity.

Do you want to support us? Do you want trading tickers to update accurately, email attachments to come through in a less-than-terrorizing amount of time? Do you think we deserve to watch Disney+, which works perfectly at 1.5M but will not connect below 1? Do you want HughesNEt to not be the reason one person keeps dropping Zoom meetings and has to say "Sorry, I'm on HughesNet satellite. "  

Or do you just want to sell us tokens? all day long? 

Yours, at least until the fiber allegedly gets here in Q3, 

Hostage #X

19 REPLIES 19
FuegoValley
New Poster

Anyone who feels like posting their list of things that DO ABSOLUTELY work with a token and either don't work at all or are hit-and-miss but would probably be fine with a wee increase without one, go for it. 

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

The satellites have limited throughput, which is divided among the subscribers. HN cannot offer unlimited data, no matter how much we'd want them to do so.  Good luck in Q3 and enjoy your new ISP when the time comes.  Maybe there are other options in your area that you're not aware of. Couldn't hurt to check. 

You didn't read it.

I'm not asking for unlimited data. I'm asking for a slight increase in the throttled speed.

They have capacity to offer much, much, better than that. Because they do. Every month. To everyone. 

If every customer bought a token, right now, they could support it. 

They can do better on the throttle speed. 

@FuegoValley wrote:

They have capacity to offer much, much, better than that. Because they do. Every month. To everyone. 

Youre wrong, and wherever you got that information was wrong. If they had the capacity to do it, then people who were throttled would actually meet the maximum threshhold that is set - they're not.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Then explain to me how on the first of every month everyone gets max speed

GabeU

@FuegoValley wrote:

Then explain to me how on the first of every month everyone gets max speed

They don't.

Thanks, trolls who aren't employees but are definitely getting kickbacks.

Once more for the people waaayyy in the back - IT IS STRICTLY THE THROTTLED SPEED I'M TALKING ABOUT.

They can do better. If they can ever do better for anyone who buys a token, they can generally do better on the throttled speed. It's so simple. Confound it however you want. 

Everyone on the network doesn't get full speed at the same time?

o rly?

when does your data package refresh, Gabe? 

You have no idea what I'm talking about, because you're on constant tokens for post bashing. 

But for everyone else it's the first of the month. 

I understand the service I signed up for. Yes. It is the only one I can get. There is one competitor, and I'm ready to try them, just to shake things up. 

How about you paid-off "professors" (omg) stop pretending we're only entitled to useful speeds when we "have data" when they advertise UNLIMITED INTERNET*     

*for two days then it's useless unless you constantly give us money

not sure if you guys are profiting from this or if you just have Stockholme syndrome

maratsade

Example of false dilemma fallacy.  

The answer is outside of your either/or premise: We are simply giving you facts. 

FuegoValley wrote:

not sure if you guys are profiting from this or if you just have Stockholme syndrome

@maratsade wrote:

Example of false dilemma fallacy.  

The answer is outside of your either/or premise: We are simply giving you facts. 

He/she doesn't want facts, just things they think are facts. AKA: Alt-facts, based on paranoid delusions. You can't teach people like that because they *know* everything nothing.

Edit: I would expect no less from people like that on March 4th... 🤪

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

hey, look, ad hominem attacks. I can do that too!

GabeU

@FuegoValley wrote:

Everyone on the network doesn't get full speed at the same time?

o rly?

when does your data package refresh, Gabe?  

Yes, really.  

The 5th.  My folks' on the 10th.  My cousin's on the 17th.  

There's a slogan from a former company that is very fitting for this thread... "An educated consumer is our best customer."  IOW, know what you are signing up for before you do.  There's zero excuse for buyer's remorse.  If HughesNet doesn't fit your needs and you can't get anything else, complain to those who don't offer service rather the one who does, but whose service doesn't work well enough for you.

@GabeU wrote: 

"An educated consumer is our best customer."

...Sy Sims

If they are ready for everyone to buy tokens, they have spare capacity. They can do better. Finito. 

I certainly hope you don't use this kind of logic with your bank account.

Or, how about this, boys...

How about you give us ANY CONTROL OVER WHEN WE USE OUR HIGH SPEED DATA

If I buy a token, I should be able to control when it's used. 

That would probably be better for your load management, anyway.

Wouldn't be hard for average users. Leave it on all the time. Put in the switch for people who know how to find it. 

It's March. It's TOKEN MADNESS in the email. Token prices are the same. 

GabeU

@FuegoValley wrote:

RAISE THE THROTTLED BACKGROUND UNLIMITED DATA BANDWIDTH.

The data caps aren't in place to make money.  They're in place to keep the system usable for everyone.  IOW, raising the cap would have the opposite effect you desire.  And unlimited... the world's worst ISP digital traffic jam in the making.  

@FuegoValley wrote:

And don't say you can't! We know you can, because at the top of every month, your network splits open and TEARS IT UP when every. single. customer. you. have. gets their "DATA PACKAGE." We ALL get the same blazing speeds for like 2-3 days, and demand drops, as everyone runs out of data. 

Utter nonsense.  At NO other time than when someone runs out of data does HughesNet throttle speeds.  People don't have higher speed when they have more data, nor do they when they have full data vs only a little left.  If you experienced this, it's nothing more than coincidence.  There is load levelling that happens all the time, but that has absolutely nothing to do with how much data someone has left.  It has to do with system LOAD.  

@FuegoValley wrote:

You. Have. Spare. Capacity. 

If.  They.  Had.  Spare.  Capacity.  They.  Added.  It.  A.  Long.  Time.  Ago.  When.  The.  Pandemic.  Related.  Traffic.  Increase.  Impacted.  The.  System.

@FuegoValley wrote:

Do you want to support us? Do you want trading tickers to update accurately, email attachments to come through in a less-than-terrorizing amount of time? Do you think we deserve to watch Disney+, which works perfectly at 1.5M but will not connect below 1? Do you want HughesNet to not be the reason one person keeps dropping Zoom meetings and has to say "Sorry, I'm on HughesNet satellite. " 

Do you want to keep complaining or instead learn about the service YOU signed up for and why it can't be compared to ground based services, nor be expected to be the same as them.

YOU chose geostationary satellite internet service, whether out of what was available or because of where you live.  It didn't choose you.