Updated Speedtest Macro...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Updated Speedtest Macro...

This is only for those that use the Macro feature of the site when helping others... I have updated the "code" to use when you use the speedtest Macro...  It would be best if all that use the Macro to update to this macro.

<p>To help the Hughesnet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, you should create a testmy.net account and perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day. Then share the account results link with us here.<br><br>Please keep in mind that Hughesnet will only accept testmy.net and the official Hughesnet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.<br><br><strong>Most important points to remember during this test:<br>-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)<br>-use the 12MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen4 Service Plan<br>-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen5 Service Plan</strong><br><strong>-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB&nbsp;size upload test file<br>-space each test at least 5 minutes apart<br>-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE</strong><br><br>For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx<br><br>The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.</p>

8 REPLIES 8
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

To help the Hughesnet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, you should create a testmy.net account and perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day. Then share the account results link with us here.

Please keep in mind that Hughesnet will only accept testmy.net and the official Hughesnet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-use the 12MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen4 Service Plan
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen5 Service Plan

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Thanks, C0RR0SIVE.

GabeU

Trying it out....

To help the Hughesnet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, you should create a testmy.net account and perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day. Then share the account results link with us here.

Please keep in mind that Hughesnet will only accept testmy.net and the official Hughesnet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-use the 12MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen4 Service Plan
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen5 Service Plan

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

@C0RR0SIVE

Do you think the upload reference should read "If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file for Gen5 and a 2MB upload test file for Gen4", or do you think those with Gen4 should start using the 4MB file instead of the 2MB file that has been used to this point?  

maratsade

I thought it was 12 and 3 for Gen4. I will stop thinking now before I fall asleep.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

maratsade

Oh, I see.  I had gotten 12 and 3 from the community, from when one of the champions told a user how to do the testing.  I guess the source could  have been @BirdDog, @Gwalk900, or @GabeU.  

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

Oh, I see.  I had gotten 12 and 3 from the community, from when one of the champions told a user how to do the testing.  I guess the source could  have been @BirdDog, @Gwalk900, or @GabeU.  

I've seen the upload test size for Gen4 listed as both 2MB and 3MB by different reps on the Community.  Corrosive suggesting 4MB for Gen4 is the first I've seen, but not only might it work better for the reasons he mentioned, it would also be less confusing for those unfamilar with the testing, and less confusing would certainly be better. 

@CORROSIVE wrote:

/shrugs/ I have always used the 4 on Gen4 as sometimes I would get strange bursts that would try to forward, even with NFW set  

I can see where using 4MB universally has it's advantages, not only in less confusion, but for the reason you mentioned it's beneficial to use it.  

maratsade

4 MB it is! 🙂