Wishing upon a star

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Wishing upon a star

It'd be  brilliant if we forum users could block posters so we needn't see their tiresome and ignorant diatribes. Yonks ago I used to be on forums that allowed this.   Does Lithium allow this? I was hoping it'd be a matter of just toggling a setting.

12 REPLIES 12
GabeU

I know what you mean.  I appears that the ignore button that does exist only concerns PMs.  😞  

maratsade

Yes, that's right! I wonder if it's just a question of a mod toggling some setting. I think it'd be very useful to have the ability to filter out some users.

Hello!

I checked the internal community for our provider (Lithium) and found that the feature indeed only covers PMs. The "ignore" option for posts/comments has already been requested in their Ideas area and I bumped it 🙂 Do you believe that adding some the user's name as an attribute to Adblock Plus or uBlock Origin could temporarily solve this? I haven't tried myself. 

Amanda

maratsade

@Amanda, thanks for bumping the idea with Lithium! 

I have AdBlock, but I'm not sure how to block by username.  Do I use "block by element"? 

Apparently it is a bit trickier than block by element, since you might end up blocking all posts. It requires a custom entry, but I can't find how the post body gets attributed to a specific user ID. I am sure there is a way. I checked here: https://adblockplus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48930

~Amanda

maratsade

Thanks, Amanda. I was just doing some reading about this, and someone (I think on GitHub) said it wasn't possible with ABP, but that uBlock had it.  So I installed uBlock on Chrome as a test, but I don't see how to do it either and I think it might also involve skills I don't have.  LOL. 

I checked ABP's advanced options, and apparently people who know how to do this sort of thing can write their own custom filters. Maybe that's how it can be done on ABP??  That's also outside my skill set. LOL

My new user name will be HerpDerpMy new user name will be HerpDerp

I'm sure we can figure it out 🙂 Here is to hoping that the feature will get added.... meanwhile, us:

bare65
Advanced Tutor

@Amanda

@maratsade

Your all cracking me up over here!!

laughing-emoji.jpeg

maratsade

Engineers on ladders, doing math.  That's the way to do it.  Keep at it, boys! LOL

@Amandawrote:

I'm sure we can figure it out 🙂 Here is to hoping that the feature will get added.... meanwhile, us:

GabeU

@maratsadewrote:

Engineers on ladders, doing math.  That's the way to do it.  Keep at it, boys! LOL

@Amandawrote:

And you just know they're using one of those giant, wooden chalkboard compasses that drops the chalk the second your press it to the board.  That's why those circles are a little lopsided.  😛  

il_570xN.1388255955_9kuf.jpg

bare65
Advanced Tutor

@maratsadewrote:

It'd be  brilliant if we forum users could block posters so we needn't see their tiresome and ignorant diatribes. Yonks ago I used to be on forums that allowed this.   Does Lithium allow this? I was hoping it'd be a matter of just toggling a setting.

Just an observation, but after what I read this evening in one persons rant, I'm more convinced than ever that some folks on here could use a few dosages of 'lithium' LOL

maratsade

Excellent idea, @bare65! LOL

Just an observation, but after what I read this evening in one persons rant, I'm more convinced than ever that some folks on here could use a few dosages of 'lithium' LOL