Hughesnet Community

30 day "grace" period to cancel without ETF...as of 10-2016 is this still in effect?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chez Malinois

30 day "grace" period to cancel without ETF...as of 10-2016 is this still in effect?

So don't hate me..I know this topic is a dead horse but literally I had a sales rep tell me there was no period in which the ETF could be waived except prior to install...:(
I JUST ordered HughesNet so I'm hoping it works- and I don't have any unrealistic expectations ..
19 REPLIES 19
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Yes it is still there. The best place to initiate it is here to be sure it goes through alright.

Be aware for the first 10-20 days (depending on modem model) you will have unlimited service, the meters will reset daily. So watch carefully what you are using each day before reset so you'll have an idea what to expect when the monthly allowance kicks in.
Liz

Hi Chez Malinois,

Welcome and thanks for posting! Yes, if you cancel within the first 30 days, there's no ETF. Also, what BirdDog said, your first 20 days (if you have the HT1100 modem) your data will reset daily to let you update your devices without depleting your monthly data allowance.

If you have any questions about your service, feel free to ask!

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Hello ,we want to cancel but, want i to make sure its true what we were promised and told that , before 30 days free cancellation, we have not been able to watch a movie or more than 1 person on the internet , this is the most awful service and experience we have been thru , dealing with internet , we dont want no more problems , im trying to avioid going to small claims court and, being charged any more , we want to cancel and want exact instructions on what to return as far as parts we want our money back and some extra money for dealing with your company , for loss of time and horrible experience.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@t1980

You should start a new topic to address your concerns, which you can do by clicking on the blue "Start a topic" button on the upper right while in the "myAccount and Billing" section.  

Hello t1980,

Welcome to our community, we are here to help. I've reviewed your account and see you've been having a lot of issues with video streaming. We have some tried and tested ways of fixing this problem here in the community. As GabeU mentioned above, it is best if you create a new thread so we can help you out right away.

Thanks

Amanda

Chez Malinois

Thank you guys!!! And thank you BirdDog- I had read about that -how the data resets (here) and plan to download the monitoring apps as well that you all mentioned previously. Thanks for not flogging me for asking! I love this page! I'm

Really hoping there's no problem and I won't need the grace period anyway
Chez Malinois

Thanks so much- I'm going to download those tools you mentioned in other posts.
Any suggestion on routers? I'm assuming the modem comes when they do my install...
Chez Malinois

Thanks for quick response!'
Liz

You're very welcome! We're here if you need help.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Chris Mitchell

Get out of it while you can!  Its total garbage and it does NOT work, its like having NO INTERNET.
Chez Malinois

Hmm. Right now I have no internet so I'm thinking it will be at least marginally better. Crossing my fingers and hoping it will be enough to access school website and let my hubby download a couple movies and pay a few bills.
Chez Malinois

Chris what didn't work? The amount of data or the speed?
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Chris, instead of dropping negative comments in other's posts why not do as Amanda asked here https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-drains-as-soon-as-it-rolls-over?topic-reply-... and start your own post (thread) and try to get some help?

BTW: My service has worked well the vast majority of the 12+ years I've had HughesNet. Believe it or not, all their customers don't have terrible service. They definitely would be out of business if that were the case.
GabeU

Chez,

I've had Hughesnet for what will twelve years in November.  I've always had very good service with them and since upgrading to Gen4 in February I have been even more pleased. 

As BirdDog mentioned, make sure you watch your data usage.  That's the key with a capped data service like this.  

Keep in mind, streaming films or shows will use around 3GB per hour in HD, 700MB per hour in SD and 300MB per hour in LD.  So two, two hour movies in HD would use around 12GB.   So, if you do stream, be VERY mindful of the data usage, and it's best to stream in either Standard Def or even Low Def so you don't use a ton of data with just a couple of movies.   

debbie.jean.bro
Advanced Tutor

Hi Chez,

Another satisfied customer here. I've had Hughesnet since June, and i think I can speak to your situation.

Last March, I bought an old fixer upper out in the boonies, lol! It never occurred to me that we wouldn't have Comcast cable internet and TV and Verizon cellphone service. I've been a city gal all my life. But guess what?? No cable, no cellphone. YIKES! LOL!

So for nearly four months my 31 year old daughter, who lives with me, and I drove 10 miles each way to our little library every day to get on the internet. And NO phone! And NO tv!

So I cannot tell you how THRILLED we were to get Hughesnet satellite internet!!! We also got Century Link TV (Dish) and landline phone.

Right now there are three adults in my home who use the service. There are now three laptops and three cellphones, all connected wirelessly. Here's a screenshot I just took a few minutes ago of my usage so far this cycle:

As you can see, we have data to spare. I have the 20/50 plan, i.e. 20 GB "anytime" bytes, and 50 GB "bonus bytes" that can be used between 2:00-8:00 AM.

We have some houseguests staying with us for a few months. The dad is taking an online course, and he checks his email, and he browses on the internet. My daughter is active on Facebook, email, and watches YouTube videos--short ones. She knows to set the videos on the very lowest definition.

I'm a researcher, editor, and writer and I do 90% of my work from home. I'm also going to school to get my PhD and am writing my dissertation. I'm online a good part of every day. As part of my research I watch 1-2 or so documentaries (usually about 45 minutes long) per week, mostly on YouTube, but sometimes on PBS. They are always set to the lowest possible definition.

We download a few TV shows and movies per month, maybe two or three. I download them during bonus bytes time, and that's when I do any updates or big downloads too. I haven't done that yet this cycle , but this next week I will, since we have lots of bonus bytes left.

The key, for me, is to monitor the usage like a hawk, turn off all automatic updates, and stream video in the lowest definition available.

I'm glad you're following the advice of BirdDog, Gwalk, and the other champions, as well as the official reps and the other customers like GabeU. I wish more people would! Their advice on configuring my network and setting video to low definition is the secret of my success with Hughesnet.

Welcome aboard and feel free to ask questions anytime! 🙂
Chez Malinois

Thank you! Yes I told my husband that he has to make all the setting SD if he's going to to any of that. And any movie downloads we will set up to do in the "off hours"
Thank you guys for the advice!
Any advice on what kind of router I should purchase?
Chez Malinois

Thank you so much - your description of your usage sounds a lot like my house so that's a relief. We have the 50/50 plan so I'm hoping with good monitoring we can get along fine. As far as configuring my network, is that something I can ask about after installation today? I am not a tech savvy person by any stretch when it comes to routers, modems, etc..
debbie.jean.bro
Advanced Tutor

Hi Chez,

Believe me, I'm no techie either! I'm trying to learn a few things now that I have satellite internet.

The answer to your question is YES! Gwalk, BirdDog, GabeU, CORROSIVE, El Dorado, and others here in the community can help you do a few things that your installer may or may not do. For example, they can tell you how to turn off "guest account" on your router so no unauthorized person can steal your data. If you're using Win10, they can tell you how to turn off automatic updates so that you can do updates when YOU want to do them--probably during bonus bytes time.

Lots and lots of things you can do to conserve data. You can find lots of good stuff by searching the archives, but always feel free to post any questions too.

I think as long as you aren't expecting to play hours of video games that require an internet connection or watch three movies a day, lol, you and your DH should have more than enough data.

Watch your data use carefully, and if you start to see anything concerning, ask here! 🙂
GabeU

Chez,

I'm not very versed on what makes a good router and I don't want to give advice that could end up being wrong for you.  Hopefully someone that's more knowledgeable will chime in and let you know what you should look for, though I know that for most people a well reviewed, basic router is often good enough.  More expensive ones will have more options, of course.