Hughesnet Community

A question, for those in the know, regarding using Windows 7 on a second computer when "connected" to the first one.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

A question, for those in the know, regarding using Windows 7 on a second computer when "connected" to the first one.

I have an older Dell E521 on which I would like to install Windows 7 Pro.  It's an upgrade version to be used over Windows Vista, but done with a clean install. 

Here's the possible problem.  The product key of the W7 Pro in question was originally installed on the desktop I am on now, originally installed over Windows Vista, which I borrowed from the Dell so I could have something to use for the upgrade to W7 Pro.  I never activated the Vista on my present computer and it was only on here for about fifteen minutes.

I then upgraded to W8 Pro, from a disk, and again a clean install, then to W8.1 Pro, using the online method, and then to the W10 Pro I am presently using, again doing it online. 

I would like to use the Windows 7 Pro disk and product key to upgrade the Windows Vista on the Dell so I can donate it.  What I'm wondering is if it will work, due to the Windows 7 Pro product key technically being connected to the computer I'm on now.  I hope this makes sense. 

Any ideas?  Do you think it will work?  I just don't want to donate something that is practically worthless because of a VERY outdated OS.  In the end, if it won't work, I'll put LinuxMint on it, but the Windows 7 would be so much better.  I want to find a way to make something work as I don't want to just toss it in the junk pile when so many families around here can't afford a computer for their kids. 

Thanks for the help.    

15 REPLIES 15
bobmp

Isn't this something you should be asking Microsoft???
GabeU

Not at this point, no, for various reasons. 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

You lost me a bit Gabe. Are you saying that the 7 Pro key was never used to get to Win 10 you're presently using? If no then not a problem, if yes then a violation to install on another computer. The MS server may never catch it but whatever computer you install it on may eventually get flagged as unauthorized key if never released from present computer.

The thing is, if the 7 Pro key was used in any way on present computer to complete the upgrade process to 10 then it is still technically in use on that computer.
GabeU

Yes, the product key was used for the installation on this computer, which is what I was worried about. 

Everything to the present W10 Pro was an upgrade over that, no full versions. 
GabeU

I should have made it clearer that the 7 was on here for a couple of years, then to the 8, then a while later to the 8.1, then a while later to the 10.  I've replaced practically all parts in this computer, piece by piece, so it's really only the same computer in spirit, not entirely the same as when I first put 7 on it. 

It looks like LinuxMint it is.  Thanks for the help.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

What type of product key ?

OEM or retail ?

OEM is tied to the original machine.

Retail can be reused .... one machine at a time.

Look online (I'd skip ebay) and see if you can find a good price on a retail key and disc.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Well, still only supposed to be used on one computer at a time no matter the history. I've switched from from a broken laptop before with my retail disc but had to call in to get it activated. They ask if it is installed on any other computer, my answer was no because it was never to be used again on old machine.

Only what I understand how it works and how the license works. One machine only. Upgrading using it is still that one machine. No fanboy of MS but it is legally what they will say and again would be taking a chance that it gets flagged on both your machine and new one as unauthorized.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

GabeU,

You may also wish to join DSLR and post that question in the Microsoft sub-forum:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/Microsoft

Amanda

Hey Gabe,

Try giving this a go, maybe?  http://techviral.com/uninstall-windows-product-key-use-new-pc/

Amanda
GabeU

Gwalk,

It's OEM, even though I bought it at a retailer.  LOL.  Retail was about $60 more at the time. 

I have an account at DLS Reports, but I figured I would ask here, first.

BirdDog,

I figured it was still connected and the product key would still be considered to be actively being used, being that everything that came after it was an upgrade that was built on top of it. 

I'll do a little more research, but I think I'll just end up using Linux Mint.  It's got a Radeon card in it, too, so I don't have to worry about the possible Nvidia driver glitch.  I've also found Mint to be a bit more user friendly than Ubuntu, and I think it's supposed to be. 

GabeU

That's a good idea, but for this it wouldn't work due to the Windows 7 product key only being used in Microsoft's records.  There's really no W7 product key on this computer due to the three successive upgrades with clean installs.  Technically the only way I could disassociate W7 from this computer is if I purchased and installed a full copy of Windows 10 on it and that W10 would stand alone.  That way the Windows 7 key this was all built on would no longer be in use.  It's kind of like Jenga.  I can't remove the bottom piece (Windows 7 product key) without having the whole thing come down.   
jrgarrett
Sophomore

If you used the product key for the first upgrade.. The Original key is still tied to your current system.. if you were to reactivate windows 7 it could deactivate the key on your current system during a random activation check. say you had w7, then upgraded to 10. then put w7 on another system.. it would deactivate your windows 10 system.
GabeU

Right.  That's why I'm not going to do it and I'm going to use the LinuxMint instead.  I don't want it to interrupt the system I'm using. 
jrgarrett
Sophomore

I hit the Like button, but it wouldn't click.
GabeU

Sometimes it takes a little bit for it to catch up, but it worked.  Thank you for the like.