cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CWM030
Sophomore

Account name change

Hi,

When I orginally signed up with Hughes last year, I had to set the account up under my mothers social, because using my social, hughes wanted 300.00 to get started.

My credit has gotten better and I am needing to switch the name over to my name and social...

I already autopay the bill every month with my debit card.

What can I do to get the account switched over to my name and social WITHOUT having to cancel and have to ship everything back, just to wait to get a new modem and the reciever on the dish again. It wouldn't make sense to have to do that, when I am already established. Plus, I still have a year left on my contract!

I've been happy with the service so far! Everytime I run out of data, TO MY SURPISE, the internet is still fast enough to browse the web, and even download stuff albeit, it does take a little longer to download stuff, but thats okay! I was expecting when I ran out of data, i'd be slowed down to 3G speeds! Nope!

Thanks,

Chris

7 REPLIES 7
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

According to this post from 2020, you can only change account ownership if you have purchased the equipment. The option is not available if you're leasing. 

So does this mean next Nov, I have to cancel, ship everything off and then have the local installer come BACK OUT and hook me back up, or can I keep the same equipment?

You'd only have to return the modem, modem cable, and radio (the thing attached to the arm on the dish). The installer can reuse the dish.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

You're kidding, I have to get new equipment? I figuerd that was the answer I was going to get 😞

When a lease contract ends, the system expects the equipment back, it's to avoid the $400 unreturned equipment fees. 

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Ahh...

Here's another good question, Will the computer sytem allow me to sign up under my name, and then cancel this current account so I don't have to go a long time without internet?

Thanks!

You're welcome! Yes, you can call in to sign up under your own name. The rep will see that there's already service at your address and ask to confirm if you want to proceed. Just be sure to keep track of the old modem, modem cable, and radio; don't want the installer to take any of it by accident.

For reference here's the return guide so you can see how and what to return.

-Liz