Hughesnet Community

CANCELLATION and required to pay almost $500.00 in fee's for lousy service.....

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ARIZONABOB19
New Poster

CANCELLATION and required to pay almost $500.00 in fee's for lousy service.....

Cancelled my service with HUGHESNET in June 2018....Sent back the 3 items they wanted back.....Now they say I owe almots 500.00 for cancellation fee's. I am a senior citizen retired VA disabled U.S.N veteran and can not afford to pay this..  Who can..I called a few times complaining about the  terrible service here in CENTRAL (YAVAPAI COUNTY) Arizona.  I could only watch NETFLICKS or AMZON Prime at night..Searching speeds and using PANDORA for music was so slow I had to give up trying to use HUGHESNET..   Trying to pay bills on line was not reliable so I had to go back to wrting checks for my bills...The speed of HUGHESNET reminded me of the speeds we had years ago with phone lines.. Just terrible...... Everytime you call HUGHESNET   you usually talked to someone in Mexico, Phillipines, Thailand, or some place else overseas who were very unknowledgeable.  Today most internet plans don't have any fees if you cancell....Hughesnet fee's are redicules. I now have a local internet company which is great CABLEONE.... Someone was suppose to call me back about these charges but nobidy did,

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Liz

Hi Bob,

Thanks for posting, I can certainly clear this up for you. I pulled up your account to determine what these charges are and they are the ETFs for the internet service ($325) and the HughesNet Voice service ($170), which is why the final balance is nearly $500. 

Please let me know if you have additional questions about your final bill.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@ARIZONABOB19

Just out of curiosity, why did you not post in Tech Support to troubleshoot your issue(s) like Liz suggested in reply to your December 2017 post? 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
maratsade

You would owe a maximum of $400 for an early termination fee, and you may have to pay a fee for not sending back the equipment.   It's part of a contract you sign -- and it's not just Hughesnet that charges early termination fees; all other ISPs do too.  If a user chooses to terminat the contract abruptly, they will owe fees; that's just how it is.   The other option is to work with the company to fix your issues, and this can be a lengthy troubleshooting process that is also not unique to Hughesnet.  

If you are done with the company, then why are you here? Everyone's experience is different, and your coming here to rant about the situation will not help anyone. 

GabeU

@ARIZONABOB19

As stated by maratsade, $400 is the maximum Early Termination Fee (ETF) for the service itself.  Are you sure part of that nearly $500 doesn't include a charge for your last month of service?  If you had HughesNet Voice, there would be an Early Termination Fee for that, too.  There should be a breakdown so you can see exactly what the nearly $500 is for (the ETF and whatever else).   

An Early Termination Fee is pretty standard practice for contracted services.  Sat TV has an Early Termination Fee, as well.  Some services don't.  The Early Termination Fee is laid out in the contract and is also disclosed during the sales call (before the "do you agree to...." question they ask).  

The reps will almost assuredly reply to you.  They're on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST, though it can take them a day or two to reply. 

BTW, thank you for your service.  My father was a US Navy veteran, as well.  My brother is a US Army veteran.  I tried, but during basic training both they and I found out I had congenital problems with my back, so I was released.  I was in my twelfth of fourteen weeks (19K's (tanker) have their basic and AIT combined).   😞  

@GabeU

Like radio? Should have been a 98...

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

@GabeU

Like radio? Should have been a 98...

Do you mean my MOS?  It was a 19 Kilo, for M1A1 Armor Crewman.  

Liz

Hi Bob,

Thanks for posting, I can certainly clear this up for you. I pulled up your account to determine what these charges are and they are the ETFs for the internet service ($325) and the HughesNet Voice service ($170), which is why the final balance is nearly $500. 

Please let me know if you have additional questions about your final bill.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

ARIZONABOB19
New Poster

I would set up a payemnt plan say $150 for 3 months if it was for '''any other problem''' with HUGHESNET but BAD/TERRIBLE/LOUSY/MISERABLE  SERVICE.....They still advertise on TV 24-7 on how great they are....What about all the lawsuits I see online against HughesNet! SERVICE!!??  I went back to the company I originally cancelled befroe HUGE'MESS'NET.. When I cancelled them I was '''not charged a dime''' to do so....I went back with them (CABLEONE) because they fixed ' their problems''  that I had..Now its real real  fast ..........Everything takes seconds not minutes like HUUGENET!! I read and hear about  scams all the time online, papers, TV and I think this is a real big SCAM......

GabeU

@ARIZONABOB19

Just out of curiosity, why did you not post in Tech Support to troubleshoot your issue(s) like Liz suggested in reply to your December 2017 post?