Cancellation overcharge?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevef
Junior

Cancellation overcharge?

We got HughesNet installed in 2018 December. Even if it's 2 months, we should get charged 30 dollars, at max, as the early termination part of the contract says:

"Thereafter, the amount will decrease by $15 per month for each month of active Service."

Yet they just told us that we have to pay $100 if cancel 2 months early. What is the +$70 comes from? Is that just a random number they slap at clients who leave? It should be 30, as 15+15 = 30 and not 100. Or am I the wrong in here? I don't see anything +$70 fee in the contract.

Is there any explanation for that +$70 canceling charge?

What would be fair is charging us 15+15 for having an unused emergency backup Internet and keeping us in the contract. We don't use HughesNet anymore, it could be just here for 2 months until I send it back, when the contract is over.

I hope they'll send us a really detailed instruction with pictures on what do they need back, how to get that radio thing de-installed from the dish, etc.

Is everyone else gets a +$70 charge for no reason when they leave Hughes or it would be only us? 

I kept defending Hughes for the past 2 years since I signed up, and I was planning to write the most positive review for Hughes all over GoogleReviews and other pages like that because in fact, I did like HughesNet for multiple reasons, but that +$70 really feels like a ripoff...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

ETF reduction by month

2020-11-17_16-51-02.png

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
stevef
Junior

Not even $30. If the active service started in December, it should be 1 more month left. So it should be $15, regardless of the first charge that was in January. The active service started in December. 

maratsade

ETF reduction by month

2020-11-17_16-51-02.png

I see it now.

It doesn't look fair at all.   😞 

maratsade

It's those first 3 months that skew it. 

GabeU

@maratsade 

I'm going to have to steal that graphic ya know.  😁

Shazam
Spectator

Have had hughes net for over 2 months, rather been paying for it. Never had any connection, always buffering, never access to any news, show, movies that don't stall,buffer or just says try later. Spent 8 hrs on the phone over last week alone. No resolution just"wait" for level 4 engineer. Cancelation fee $342.00 for no service . Wrong
GabeU

@Shazam 

If you're looking for help please start a new topic in Tech Support rather than piggybacking on someone else's unrelated topic.

GabeU

@stevef wrote: 

I hope they'll send us a really detailed instruction with pictures on what do they need back, how to get that radio thing de-installed from the dish, etc. 

The instructions are here.  They're also included in the return shipping box they send to you.

Well, we ended up agreeing, that we just keep the 2 more months. Yet, I see a 100 dollar charge on my credit card by Hughes, right now. Why would I pay 100 for nothing, if I can pay $92 for 2 months of backup Internet service? So they canceled our service, even though we said ok for waiting out the 2 more months we need to pass the 2 years contract?

I'm speechless... If they don't want me as a client anymore, it's sad, but they should refund at least 8 dollars then.

Well, we ended up agreeing, that we just keep the 2 more months. Yet, I see a 100 dollar charge on my credit card by Hughes, right now. Why would I pay 100 for nothing, if I can pay $92 for 2 months of backup Internet service? So they canceled our service, even though we said ok for waiting out the 2 more months we need to pass the 2 years contract?

I'm speechless... If they don't want me as a client anymore, it's sad, but they should refund at least 8 dollars then.

Also, no one even bothered sending a confirmation email or anything. I just accidentally noticed the $100 charge.

maratsade

Good thing you noticed so you can bring it up here and get it resolved. 

Good morning stevef, 

Thanks for sharing your experience; I wanted to see what happened during the cancellation call so I pulled up your account for review. The notes indicate the cancellation was agreed upon and confirmed, but also there was another call right after that got disconnected it seems. I'd have to investigate beyond the case notes to determine what happened.

But in the meantime, would you rather I reactivate your account or apply an $8 refund?

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Yes, I'd accept the $8, thank you.

The lady with the Hispanic accent told us that it would be cheaper to just keep it for 2 more months and asked if we do that and we said ok. I guess it was a misunderstanding or I don't know what is happened.

There is no sense to say no to two months of service for $92 if canceling it cost $100.

Please refund the $8 and send the return-box/stamp/instructions and I'll make sure that everything is getting returned.  - Thank you.

PS: I really prefer to handle everything in Email, because it's way more simple, reading is easier than talking on the phone, no accents on either side (I have a heavy one), etc. 

Reactivation sounds better, but if it puts me in another 2 years of the contract, I wouldn't want that, of course. It would also mean to refund the 100 and charge us for 46, like usually. It sounds too complicated. 

Hi stevef,

You're right, it can get complicated. I've gone ahead and credited $8 to your account and pushed it as a refund. Depending on your financial institution, it may take 3-5 business days to reach your account.

As GabeU mentioned earlier in this thread, you will have instructions included in the equipment return box which will be shipped out once the account finally terminates Jan 3. He also included a link to the return instructions available online as well.

Hope that helps.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hi stevef,

Quick turnaround on this, Sarah did confirm the cancellation and received the case number: 134064496, hence the $100 ETF. There was no disconnect during this particular call; as Sarah noted, it was the previous call attempt that was disconnected. Hope that clears things up.

-Liz