Data Usage

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leslie50
New Poster

Data Usage

I can't find any info on my problem, so I am starting fresh here.

I have had HughesNet for about 5 months. (I have a 50gb plan, I previously had DishNet for about 10 years with 15gb plan and 2 teenagers at home) I am not new to the limited data, so I know most of the do's and don'ts. It is my husband and I and we do not steam videos regularly are any of the neat stuff, because we have always had a data cap. Now with my HughesNet the first 2 months I used all my 50gb in about 5 days and had to purchase tokens. (hello $600 bill) After many hours on the phone and tests it was discovered my modem had a "data leak". I was sent a new modem (i had to pay s&h). Now it seems I use 50gb of data in about 8 days, BUT my 35gb of tokens last me the rest of the month. We dont do anything different, in fact on the 35gb I watched 3 shows on Amazon. Now it seems I need to go through the test again (4 hours, no internet) I believe the "system" isnt reading right during my 50gb usage time.  I hope this made sense, and i would appreciate any suggestions, customer service is making my BP go up..lol

14 REPLIES 14
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Please perform the following test outlined in the graphic below, this is known as an isolation test and will help determine whether the issue is with Hughesnet or your local network.

photo P2hSeDN.jpg

1: Take a screen capture of the Status Meter
2: Disconnect the LAN cable from the modem.  If on the HT2000w, please disable wifi as well.
3: Note the date and time of the disconnect, it is best when doing step two, to also capture the time displayed on your screen.
4: Leave the LAN cable disconnected from the modem for several hours, Hughesnet recommends doing this overnight, or during the day while at work.
5: Reconnect the LAN cable to the modem.
6&7: Take a screen capture of the Status Meter with the clock displayed on your computer.
8: Post your screenshots to the community.

Please be aware, if you downloaded any large files just prior to this test, or if the disconnect was for an extensive time period, some usage may appear to have occured, but should be rather negligible. 

the status meter is down. my service is degraded. I know I have data left in my plan and  full service should be restored. I  smell a rat

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@pipernc wrote:

the status meter is down. my service is degraded. I know I have data left in my plan and  full service should be restored. I  smell a rat

If you want help, please start a new topic in Tech Support. 

GabeU

Do you happen to have a satellite TV receiver connected to the service to watch On Demand programs?  

Yes I do have it connected to my satelite TV and yes we occasionally watch OnDemand movies. But at the times my data usage shows to be the highest. As I stated I lived on 15gb with 2 teenagers. I should never be anywhere near 50gb in a month with just my husband and I. I will try the disconnect tonight and post info tomorrow. Thanks for helping.

GabeU

With regard to the satellite TV receiver, if it's a DirecTV receiver, they can use a LOT of data, and for things other than On Demand, including guide and search updates and program descriptions.  And though I've never been able to prove this, I believe it can also use data to download those movies occasionally seen in the guide that can be instantly watched.  .  People have seen their data wiped out by their DTV receivers.  And when they're off, they're not off, but in standby, still connected.  

Connecting a DirecTV receiver to HughesNet is normally advised against for this reason.  

Not sure about usage with Dish Network's receivers.  

We are having the same problem with GBs disappearing and we have Directv.  How would you know if Directv and the computers are "connected" in anyway? I apologize for being computer illiterate, but I'm elderly and just don't understant all the lingo. December 17th we lost 7.5 GBs for no apparent reason. We were on a 12 GB plan and generally ran out of time near the end of the month. Upgraded to 30 GB plan and now run out of time mid-month. There have been no changes in users or equipment. Can you help us?

GabeU

@mica1022

With regard to a DirecTV receiver being connected, someone would have had to actively connect it (it can't auto connect on its own), whether by the tech when the service was installed or by you or someone else in your home at a later time.  A DirecTV receiver can only connect to your HughesNet service via ethernet cable to your HughesNet modem, via WiFi to your HT2000W HughesNet modem, or via WiFi to a 3rd party WiFi router connected to your HughesNet modem (only the HT2000W modem has built in WiFi).  It can't connect through one of your computers.   

With that said, if you're not sure whether it was connected by someone or not, you can look at "Currently Connected Devices" and "Currently Disconnected Devices" on the following page...  http://192.168.0.1/limited.html#!/general/conn_dev_info

You can also look at what's currently connected by going to the System Control Center, clicking on "WiFi Settings" on the left, and entering admin for the password (or whatever you've changed it to if you have), and once you're in the WiFi page click on "Devices" in the "Status" box on the lower right.  There you'll see what's connected.  

The following two threads may help with the high data usage...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Understanding-data-usage-data-loss-and-connection-pa...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/HughesNet-Data-Management-Tips-n-Tricks-How-To-Elimi...

Reddog
New Poster

You won't get anywhere with Hughes Net. Do like I did and report them to the Public Utilities Commission (PUC). I'm finished with customer service.  This company has missled and charged for services they have not delivered. A  suit against companies that rip off customers, need to be dealt with harshly. 

GabeU

Reddog,

That's about the most ridiculously incorrect and misplaced advice I've ever seen on here.  You didn't think that one through very well, did you?  

If you'll excuse me, though.  I'm presently tied up writing a complaint to the Internal Revenue Service about running out of margarine.    

Maximus
Freshman

Leslie I think you are on to something.... I did a comparison with Hughesnet and 2 other services I use watching the same 1 hour Netflicks show found Hughesnet data usage to be almost double. 

HughesNet 984 Mbs

Service provider #2 435 Mbs

Service provider #3 350 Mbs

Ran the test several times all with HughesNet the winner.

I should also mention that after 2 months I have never come close to the 25/3 Mbps that are advertised.

I average 10Mbps on the down and under 2Mbps on the up.

I have tried no less than 50 Hughesnet speed tests as well as third party "testmy.net" allmuch lower than I signed on for.

Good luck I guess its Buyer beware.  

Chichi

The same thing is happening to us we us up our data in the fist 5 days of the month. I think this is a scam to make your bill higher or make you buy more data...

GabeU

@Chichi

If you'd like to work on figuring out what's chewing through your data in five days, you should start a new topic, which you can do by clicking on the blue "Start a topic" button on the upper right from within the Tech Support section.  

There's no scam.  Something is using your data.  You just have to figure out what and why.