Discount for Lack of Service - Email?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scooter
Freshman

Discount for Lack of Service - Email?

I haven't been able to send email in over 2 weeks, no one can fix it, no one seems to care, I assume we'll get a reduced rate for lack of service?

11 REPLIES 11
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Scooter wrote:

I haven't been able to send email in over 2 weeks, no one can fix it, no one seems to care, I assume we'll get a reduced rate for lack of service?

That's doubtful, considering the email is more or less a freebie, but who knows?  People don't get HughesNet for their email.  

There may even come a day when HughesNet removes the email.  Many ISPs have done the same due to lack of usage.  People are more and more using the free email services that are available, such a Gmail, Outlook and Yahoo, and for a variety of reasons, with one of the bigger ones being that you can take it with you.  They also tend to be more full fledged.

@GabeU wrote:

Many ISPs have done the same due to lack of usage.

Name as many as you can.

GabeU

@Scooter wrote:

@GabeU wrote:

Many ISPs have done the same due to lack of usage.

Name as many as you can.

You're free to research it if you like.  I'm just stating the reality of ISP based email today.  

After a horrible week of service I have canceled and charged $400 for early termination I think that’s how they stay in business by colecting
GabeU

@Seven90 

They make $2k or more if a subscriber stays with them for at least the two years of the commitment vs. the $400 if the subscriber leaves at the beginning.  They have over 1.5 million customers.  What little they make from Early Termination Fees is a drop in the bucket.   

The ETF is designed to be both a deterrent to leaving for those 24 months and a way to recoup the costs of the free installation and equipment use.  If all customers were charged for installations, and if all leased equipment was reusable, the ETF would likely be lower, or there may even be no commitment requirement at all.

Quoted GabeU  "There may even come a day when HughesNet removes the email.  Many ISPs have done the same due to lack of usage.  People are more and more using the free email services that are available, such a Gmail, Outlook and Yahoo, and for a variety of reasons, with one of the bigger ones being that you can take it with you.  They also tend to be more full fledged."

I kinda dont see it. I bet theres plenty of people who use HN emai instead of alternates..l. If I didnt have my domain, I would prob would be using the HN email address. 

maratsade

With your own domain, what are some reliable email providers? (sorry, it's a bit off topic and probably a stupid question to boot).

@CWM030 wrote:

I kinda dont see it. I bet theres plenty of people who use HN emai instead of alternates..l. If I didnt have my domain, I would prob would be using the HN email address. 

Think @CWM030 means that they have their own web server (or subscribes to one) that has their own email server running on it.

For example, I have web space on Pair Networks, who also provides an email server. That way the business, web site, and email address all have the same domain name, allowing you to maintain a consistent presence. It also allows me to modify mail delivery via a qmail/perl script so I can do my own spam filtering, but that's jut one benefit.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

ah, so it was a stupid question. Herp derp!  🙂

Cheers, Mark. 

It was a question, but unless you've run a web site it wasn't obvious how it worked - so not really so stupid.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@CWM030 wrote:

I bet theres plenty of people who use HN emai instead of alternates..l. If I didnt have my domain, I would prob would be using the HN email address. 

I'm sure there are, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they won't eliminate their email at some point in the future.  I'm sure that if/when they do, they'll give far advanced notice.  

BTW, to expand on what I mean, not only has Hughes' direct competition eliminated their email service, some other small providers have done the same.  With the way things are, it's very possible, and nearly likely, that the larger providers will start going the same way.  It's becoming less and less of a necessary thing for them to provide, and with more people using those free providers, both because of the fact that, again, you can "take it with you", and that they tend to have more expansive abilities and are often bundled with other free services, such as cloud storage, the writing may very well be on the wall, so to speak.  Time will tell.