Early Termination Fee

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
uh
Sophomore

Early Termination Fee

I am a little confused about the wording concerning the early termination fee. Does the policy state the fee is $400 minus $15 a month for each month of service only during the first the first 90 days? Or, since I have had service since 27Jun17 , if I cancelled in May, wwould it be 400-165=$235, or something else?

17 REPLIES 17
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

According to the Hughesnet legal site:

"The exact amount of the Service Termination Fee will be $400 for the first ninety (90) days after activation of the HughesNet Service. Thereafter, the amount will decrease by $15 per month for each month of active Service."

So if you cancel within the first 90 days after activation, the ETF is $400. After those 90 days have passed, the fee goes down by $15 every month. 

Ah, so since I joined in June '17 my ETF would be $400-($15x8)=$280 if I bailed in May, right??

Hi uh,

I just pulled up your account so I can get you an exact answer. The system shows 13 Remaining Months as on 05/27/2018, so Service Termination Fee as on 05/27/2018 is $265.00. So it's actually less than $280 if you cancel by May 27.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Where is this supposed contract that was signed? The non-English speaking person I spoke to today said that they couldn't send it to me but that they had my signature on a 2-year contract but the email department could send it to me. This is false. No such contract exists. I recorded this hour-long call because I canceled the service in November but Hughes is claiming I didn't, so they keep withdrawing money without my permission due to some "contract" they claim they have my signature on. Then the "supervisor" said that all accounts are 2-year contracts and that sales team should have reviewed that with me and that by giving my cc to them, I agree to their terms. That supervisor said there is no signed contract. Both calls recorded. 2 different people giving excuses for why my account keeps getting charged and to stop the charges I have to pay a cancelation fee and return the equipment. I don't want the satellite in my yard or the modem, the service never worked which is why I canceled so why am I still being charged and still being told some imaginary contract or agreement was made?? This is abusive and a scam. Please address the issue asap. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@HughesScam wrote:

Where is this supposed contract that was signed? The non-English speaking person I spoke to today said that they couldn't send it to me but that they had my signature on a 2-year contract but the email department could send it to me. This is false. No such contract exists. I recorded this hour-long call because I canceled the service in November but Hughes is claiming I didn't, so they keep withdrawing money without my permission due to some "contract" they claim they have my signature on. Then the "supervisor" said that all accounts are 2-year contracts and that sales team should have reviewed that with me and that by giving my cc to them, I agree to their terms. That supervisor said there is no signed contract. Both calls recorded. 2 different people giving excuses for why my account keeps getting charged and to stop the charges I have to pay a cancelation fee and return the equipment. I don't want the satellite in my yard or the modem, the service never worked which is why I canceled so why am I still being charged and still being told some imaginary contract or agreement was made?? This is abusive and a scam. Please address the issue asap. 

The contract is here: http://legal.hughesnet.com/SubAgree-03-16-17.cfm

You agree to it when allowing the service ro be installed and activated, also a virtual button on the installer's device you usually have to push accepting the install.

Even 15+ years ago getting my AT&T cell phone I didn't actually sign anything, accepting and starting the service was like signing the 2 year contract. You might want to get updated on how contracts work when getting IT service in today's world.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

As @BirdDog stated, you can review all information about your contract, and early termination fees here, http://legal.hughesnet.com/Home.cfm

When your service is installed, you either sign a piece of paper that mentions the contract, or you sign digitally with their phone or tablet when they are doing the install.  This is acceptance of the contract, and the contract can't be voided unless special circumstances arise.  In this contract you also agreed to return your equipment (modem, power adapter, and transmitter) if leased, otherwise you will have to pay for the equipment with an unreturned equipment fee.

Nothing was ever signed, no agreement made. The installation didn't have anything stating I would be entering into a contract. He also said I would have 30 days to cancel without fees and that I would need to return the modem. We had a verbal conversation about this. Nothing else. Customer service said they had a signature. Supervisor said they didn't. You're saying a contract was signed digitally. Sales department said I agreed by giving them my cc number and accepting the installation. Still not one mention to me that there was a contract I was entering. AT&T lets you know there's a 2-year commitment- don't try to cover this obvious scam. Do you work for Hughesnet @C0RR0SIVE and @BirdDog? If so, you'll be added to a long list of customer service agents who have provided yet another excuse for mistreating their customers and lying about a fictional contract. If they provided a service that actually worked they wouldn't need to have people like you birddogging for them and claiming that a contract is intact... And btw claiming an actual IT person needs education on IT is pretty hilarious. Attacking the person that has the complaint doesn't make your point more valid. They shouldn't be claiming 2 different stories about having my signature, then saying I agreed verbally now you're saying the technician who put up the satellite had me digitally sign, and that I agreed to something that I never did.. Customers all over the internet including the Better Business Bureau, consumer affairs, social media, this whole community, scam alerts and others have the EXACT same complaint that I do, but maybe that's why they need people like you defending them IMMEDIATELY after my comment went up. 

GabeU

Additionally, the 24 month contract is stated during the sales call and is part of the "script" read by the sales agent to which the perspective customer is asked if they agree to.  This "script" is read to each and every customer that signs up for service over the phone and it must be agreed to in order for the service to proceed.  

Edit:  All points of the contract are not mentioned, but the fact that there is a 24 month contract, is.  

Ahh so you work for Hughesnet too? Send me that script it will get added to the file. I'd like to read the script that was read to me, that I "agreed to" according to you and the other characters in here. 

GabeU

@HughesScam wrote:

Ahh so you work for Hughesnet too? Send me that script it will get added to the file. I'd like to read the script that was read to me, that I "agreed to" according to you and the other characters in here. 

Whether we work for HughesNet or not, which we do not, is irrelevant.  The information given is factual.  

Haha funny, @GabeU ok so you reply to every complaint but don't work for Hughesnet? So you're just a happy customer online regularly supporting Hughesnet for free? LOL Funny stuff. So, someone that ADMITS working for Hughesnet, please send me a recording of my sales call, a contract they claimed I signed digitally, verbally or otherwise. Literally, 10 different answers repeating themselves and still, I retain there was no mention of ANY contract anywhere. Fabricating excuses and scenarios isn't going to work with me. I'm not the only one with this complaint either- which is why they probably need a few fake community accounts appearing neutral but defending Amanda and Hughesnet at every turn- literally every complaint you three are defending horrible customer service as if being treated badly is deserving of any customer. More fraudulent behavior here, but that seems to be the norm over there at Hughesnet, but hey at least you guys can speak (or write rather) English. Charging me $466.69 to date for a service that never worked and that I've tried to cancel numerous times is abusive, fraudulent and flat out wrong. If it was happening to you, you'd try to call, email, comment, and file complaint.. that's all I'm doing here. But in doing so, now I'm being asked to pay more ($285 more) to get out of a 24-month contract that is news to me after 7 months of NON-SERVICE.. but I guess someones gotta pay for fake "happy customers" on the community forum. It won't be me though..

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@HughesScam, best thing is to start your own post and one of those worthless HughesNet official mods may actually be able to help you. In all honesty, most of us here are the peanut gallery, we are simply customers like you.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

If you didn't at a minimum, sign your name digitally on the technicians phone or tablet, or sign the work order, then a few things happen.

#1 - Your modem will not activate fully, it will be powered on, but be placed into a walled garden state, it will consistently redirect you to a page to accept the contractual information.
#2 - The technician will NOT get paid, they will pack up, take the equipment, and leave.
#3 - The system would at that point refund your card for any charges after 30 days for a failed installation.

You say this contract doesn't exist, yet, we provided a direct link to the page with all subscriber agreements.

Seeing as it has been several months since your sales call, chances are the recording has already been removed from the system (retention is only 90 days), and even if it did exist, you still wouldn't get the actual recording it self.

As far as being paid by Hughesnet, yeup, sure am, guess that's why I work 60+ hours a week for Amazon?

None of that happened. Nice try though. Didn't buy it for a second and then you said "WE.." lol have fun @C0RR0SIVE 

GabeU

@HughesScam wrote:

None of that happened. Nice try though. Didn't buy it for a second and then you said "WE.." lol have fun @C0RR0SIVE 

Yes.  "WE".  It's a word in the English language to denote people of a particular group, as in those that have responded to you in this community.  

Whether you disagree with the information given or mock those that have given it doesn't matter.  The information that has been given is accurate.  

Join the club of customers that believed they would receive fast internet, from HughesNet, for their money. My wife and I are also counting the days remaining with this awful company. I have gotten attention when I reported their practices to the Better Business Bureau closest to their home office. We received a temporary discount. Thankful we got that. We agree that anyone that desires to get honest service for their money needs to look elsewhere.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@HughesScam wrote:

I don't work for them, only a customer for 14 years and pretty satisfied overall. My main point is simply the contract is in force once service is installed and activated, same as the majority of IT services. I have no idea what was said to you over the phone.