Early termination fee and misrepresentation of service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Karissa
Freshman

Early termination fee and misrepresentation of service

I signed up for Hughesnet in 2017. When I originally signed up for service, I was told by a company representitive that basic internet use (browsing, video streaming on my smart tv, etc.) would be no problem. Since starting with Hughesnet, I have experienced consistent issues - slow streaming, buffering, etc. On rainy days streaming services would not work at all! I could never use services like Amazon Prime streaming or Hulu. I shrugged it off, but finally it got so bad that I called Customer Service. They sent out a technician who pointed the Dish at another satellite, and he said the problem should get better. It did for a short period of time, then back to VERY slow or non-working internet. Because of work, I now NEED to have reliable, dependable internet. Its not just a matter of streaming anymore. I can't trust Hughesnet to work, so I have switch to Shentel. (Which works great, by the way.) When I called to cancel with Hughesnet, I was placed on a long hold, then told I would have to pay a $220 early termination fee, and there was no way the fee could be waived. I think the fee would be fair - IF I was provided with the internet service I was originally promised. In order to cancel the service - I had to "agree" to the fee - otherwise the rep would not cancel my service.

So, when I emailed to complain, the email rep said "I understand your motives for the cancellation, when you spoke with the Account Management Team to cancel the account, that was the moment to dispute the cancellation fee. Once this was agreed and cancelled we cannot remove or adjust the fee." Well I spent a long time trying to disput the fee! I was essentially forced into "agreeing" to it. 

My question is, why am I paying a cancelation fee when Hughesnet did not hold up their end of the agreement? I understand that I agreed to the terms of service - but Hughesnet did not provide the service they said they would. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Karissa,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community!  Thank you for reaching out, we can address your concerns. Please check your private messages (PM) in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM with some information for you regarding your account.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Dmg
Freshman

Report them better business bureau and federal communication commission. You will be surprised what they can "suddenly do".

Yes, I hate feeling like I have to do that... 

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

The agency you mention is not a government agency; they are a middleman between consumers and companies. They give Hughesnet an A+ rating, which is the highest rating they give to companies. This means they consider Hughesnet a very good company. 

If you report to the agency, Hughesnet will have up to 30 days to reply to you, and you will not get any help here on this site, as your report to the agency ties their hands. 

If you're smart, you will avoid tying the hands of the HN staff here and you will calmly and politely present your case , and  give the Hughesnet staff on this site (all of whom are corporate employees with much more authority than the people you talk to on the phone or via chat) a chance to look into your help and help you.   

Your choice, of course. 

Karissa wrote:

Yes, I hate feeling like I have to do that... 

Thanks maratsade. I am not sure who can/cannot help - I am just trying to get assistance somewhere since the Customer Service line could not assist. If my complaint is solved through here, I will of course close my complaint with the better business bureau.

Hi Karissa,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community!  Thank you for reaching out, we can address your concerns. Please check your private messages (PM) in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM with some information for you regarding your account.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Thank you for your quick help here! I very much appreciate it.

You're welcome, Karissa! Feel free to drop by again if you need.