Fewer plans in my area

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Fewer plans in my area

So I was checking the Hughesnet plans for my area, always hoping one day I'll see the Ultra plan there, and noticed my plan is gone from the list. Now there are only 2 plans left for my area: 5 gigs and 10 gigs. My plan is the 15/50 plan, and this is no longer offered.

** How does Hughesnet decide what plans to offer and why are some removed?
**If a plan is not offered, a customer can't purchase it anyway? 
**I won't lose my current plan, right? 10/50 would not work well for me, and 5/50 is just....NO.

Yes, I am feeling whiny, and that option is not provided under the "Sentiment" emoticons.  Tragic.
25 REPLIES 25
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Plan offerings are going to vary by beam capacity. I have the Ultra plan and that is no longer offered in my zip but I still have that plan.
I'm sure plan offerings will expand when J2 comes online .
maratsade

I'm hoping that too! Rooting for the Ultra plan to come to town. 🙂
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

maratsade

More people are moving in to the area, so that's probably what's going on. I need to start a "back to the city" movement. All of these people need to GO. They use my water and my beam, for pete's sake.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Here is the beam 13:

Looks like I share my beam with a bunch of perch, bluegills and salmon.

Reggie
Teaching Assistant

Gwalk,

Look like 50% of your beam is waterlogged.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

It's for the submarines.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

There is a sunken WWII sub out there too.

Muskegon is also homeport the restored USS Silversides. (lots of place to bump your head in there)

Lori
Employee

Thanks for your excellent questions – we’re happy to provide you with a little more color on what is going on in the network. Our engineers have been performing miracles in upgrading our system and ground infrastructure to increase network capacity for all of our customers. In some beams, however, we have reached a loading level which we think is optimal and where increasing the load may result in a degradation of service for all customers. In these cases we have been restricting new customer sales and withdrawing some plans from the line up since they require a higher than average capacity allocation. There is no impact to existing customers from these plan changes so there is no danger that you will be forced to change plans. However relief is in sight! On December 18th we launched our newest satellite, Echostar XIX and we are working hard to bring this into service. Echostar XIX has expanded geographical coverage and a lot more capacity and we are working on updating our service plans and will be making some announcements about that over the coming weeks. You can check https://www.hughesnet.com/gen5 from now until then for updated information.
 - Mike Cook, Senior VP Hughes 
maratsade

I don't remember what my beam is...34?? I think I'm sharing it with a bunch of beam-hogging users who really should get off the Internet.  🙂
maratsade

Our engineers have been performing miracles in upgrading our system and ground infrastructure to increase network capacity for all of our customers.
Engineers are wizards.

I'm not really complaining, since I get great Internet, but I was a bit surprised to just see 2 plans left. 

Thanks for the info and here's hoping Gen5 will bring more plans to my area.
GabeU

I sure hope that all of the people in the lake have really good dielectric grease on their cables!  
GabeU

I sure hope that all of the people in the lake have really good dielectric grease on their cables!  
GabeU

I don't remember what my beam is...34?? 
You can see it in your SCC.  
maratsade

You can see it in your SCC.
I wasn't home at the time....is the info available elsewhere?
gokartergo24
Tutor

My favorite saying.   I'm a technician. I fix the things a Engineer can't.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

"My favorite saying.   I'm a technician. I fix the things a Engineer can't."

Yep, the eggheads can't do anything without the infrastructure in place. I'm picturing a lot of techs and other trades people doing a LOT of work right now on the ground preparing for Gen 5.

PS: Seriously doubt HughesNet invested much other than planning in ground infrastructure for Gen 5 until the satellite successfully launched. Would be stupid to do otherwise. Now it is a bit of catch up.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Every so often I rebuild Bertha, my computer.

That entails taking everything  out of the case and installing at a minimum a new Motherboard, processor and RAM.

At issue is the 10 internal Hard Drives and all power and data cabling with attention to the air flow, direction and volume of all 11 fans and a multitude of BIOS settings to get a new Mobo to mount OS's ranging from Win98se thru a couple of Win10 test bed installs and finally some Linux OS's.

THAT is a several hour job. I could not conceive of setting up a Network that would allow a million or perhaps more subscribers to connect to.

My hat is really off to the technical and engineering staff

GabeU

I don't believe so, other than the reps themselves.  I think the only place it can be seen by us is from the modem.