Hughesnet Community

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! What was on your menu and how did it go?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
debbie.jean.bro
Advanced Tutor

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! What was on your menu and how did it go?

Hi all! Happy turkey day! What was on your menu, or what did you bring? How did it all turn out? How did the day go?

This year I'm hosting and cooking for a total of seven: me, daughter Joy, the neighbor lady and her mom, two of Joy's friends, and our contractor, lol.

Pre-dinner munchies include: chips & dip, veggie/relish tray, cheese & cracker tray, sugar free jello. Neighbor Rosetta is doing this part. Joy's making deviled eggs. I may add a fruit bpwl--apples, bananas, oranges. Drinks: sugar free lemonade, sugar free sparkling punch, diet soda, water, coffee.

Dinner cooked by yours truly unless otherwise indicated: 15 lb. turkey, cornbread stuffing (in the bird), mashed potatoes, gravy, corn on the cob, biscuits, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes (Rosetta), green bean casserole (Joy), Brussels sprouts (Joy), fruit salad (Rosetta). Everything made from scratch, except the biscuits, which will be made from a mix. Sparkling cider will be added to the drink options.

Dessert: I baked four pies: pecan, apple, key lime, and sweet potato pie with a carmelized pecan topping and maple whipped cream. This is a brand new recipe I made up myself, so I'm holding my breath, haha! It looks great so far!! Home made whipped cream for all. Rosetta's home made eggnog added to the drink options.

Leftovers will be packed up for everyone to take home. I use dollar store containers and ziplock baggies so no one has to worry about returning dishes. 🙂

Joy is in charge of the TV schedule. She has informed me it will be: Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, AKC Championship dog show, football, football, football. 😉

I'm really excited and looking forward to a great day! I hope you are too! 🙂
5 REPLIES 5
Amanda

Well, I was only cooking for 2 so the amount of sides (my favorite part) was really limited! Plus my other half works at Best Buy and of course was at work until 12AM, so we had a really, really late Thanksgiving dinner. I roasted a 3lb turkey breast in the oven with home made mashed taters, enough gravy for 10 people, buttery lima beans, stuffing and buns.  Dessert was triple fudge brownies. 

There wasn't much in the way of left overs, which was great because I didn't have to worry about "forgetting" anything in the fridge later 🙂

Amanda
debbie.jean.bro
Advanced Tutor

YUMMY!! How did it turn out? How did you cook it?
debbie.jean.bro
Advanced Tutor

I LOVE lima beans! That sounds like a lovely dinner for two. 🙂
debbie.jean.bro
Advanced Tutor

Well, other than me getting sick as a dog (chest cold from you know where), dinner was a smashing success! "Success" in my book is that everyone had a great time. We watched the dog show and two football games and dinner was delicious, if I do say so myself.

When everyone was ready to leave, we handed out dollar store "tupperware," about 4 containers of various sizes to each person, and told them to load up. I guess they liked the food, because there was not one scrap of food left! Next time I'm saving some out for Joy and me first, haha! We didn't get a single bite of leftovers. 😞 But that's OK; the important thing is that our friends had a good time and went home with some yummy leftovers. The beauty of dollar store food containers is you can get 4 for $1, and then you don't need to worry about getting it back.

Here's Tom roasting in the oven with about 45 minutes to go. It kinda looks like he's almost hitting the top of the oven, but that's just the camera angle; there's actually plenty of room.

Dinnner is served!

Liz

oh my gosh it's entirely too early for me to be looking at pictures of delicious food :Q
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!