Hate Hughes.net

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kenosabe
Freshman

Hate Hughes.net

My father recently died and between my parents my father was the only one using the internet. God bless him he was 90 years old. My mother canceled the service and the tech who could hardly speak english told her she had to go up on the roof (my Mom is 89 years old) and remove the transmitter. She thought it was a joke. He told her No Joke, you don't return in 45 days we charge you 500.00 dollars. Are you kidding me. My Mother just lost her husband of 67 years and now she had to deal with this. My brother and I don't live close and this is a problem since my mother can't afford the $500.00 charge. I am so disapointed with hughes.net. I can't recommend and I hope the CEO of thie horrible company realizes the hardship this policy is. We have contacted the Michigans Attorny General. We are also reaching out to the local TV news station for a "Hall of Shame" report on Hughes.net.un

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Liz

Hello Kenosabe,

Welcome to the community and thank you for bringing this to our attention. I'm very sorry for your loss and I apologize for how our phone rep handled that; it is not how we want to treat our customers. 

I can certainly arrange for a technician to de-install the equipment for you. Our installation department is closed at the moment, but I will escalate this to them and when I get an update, I will PM you tomorrow. 

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Kenosabe,

I am sorry to hear about the loss of life in your family...  I am sure that @Liz wouldn't mind sending a technician out to retrieve the radio and modem but I am unsure on what, if anything, might be charged for doing so.  It normally is a $125 or $150 fee to send a technician out to retrieve the equipment.

But, it is stated in the contract that the subscriber is responsible for retrieving and returning the radio, and modem, otherwise a fee will be issued due to unreturned equipment.  It is also stated if you can't retrieve the equipment that Hughesnet can send a technician out for a service fee to do the job.

Hopefully @Liz can give you some good news that will meet your satisfaction.

Thanks,
C0RR0SIVE

Liz

Hello Kenosabe,

Welcome to the community and thank you for bringing this to our attention. I'm very sorry for your loss and I apologize for how our phone rep handled that; it is not how we want to treat our customers. 

I can certainly arrange for a technician to de-install the equipment for you. Our installation department is closed at the moment, but I will escalate this to them and when I get an update, I will PM you tomorrow. 

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

I was contacted by a 3rd party to have the transmitter removed but no price was given.

She said they don;t set the price to remove.

Can you tell me what you are going to charge my mother for removal?  And why would you arrange this before finding out if a 89 year old can afford the removal fee?

Hi Kenosabe,

The entire de-installation service should be free, I don't want to charge anything for the de-installation and removal of the equipment. If the dealer is trying to issue a fee, please let me know so we can take care of that.

Thank you,

Liz

The forum Mods  are at the corporate level. Having said that, they have greater latitude in handling customer issues.

Liz stated she would PM you. Have you checked your PM's?

My guess is Hughes will eat the cost of the removal.

The question is, who needs to return the radio?

I think you need to do the return in the prepaid box so as to avoid an unreturned equipment fee.

Hi Gwalk, 

Thank you for the back up. I've PM'd this customer earlier that I would issue a free de-install and removal for this particular case due to the circumstances. 🙂

Thank you that is really considerate.