Hughesnet Community

How do I change the associated phone number?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GW
Advanced Tutor

How do I change the associated phone number?

This has been going on for years. I have been trying to change the main phone number associated with my account and it never happens. Several phone reps have assured me it has been done but it never is.

Even though I cannot find the old, unused number of 251-xxx-xxxx anywhere in my account, this is still the only phone number associated with my Hughesnet account.

I know this because anytime I call in, the system asks me for my phone number to identify my account. When I enter my real phone number of 850-xxx-xxxx, the system cannot find my account. When it asks me for another number and I enter my old, unused landline number, it finds my account.

This is a problem because no matter what I do, whenever I need service work, the Hughersnet system ALWAYS gives the service company my old, unused phone number. This phone number is not answered and has no answering service. The only reason it still exists is for 911 emergency.

I really need to have this fixed.

3 REPLIES 3
Liz

Hi GW,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'll escalate to the appropriate department to address, as our system seems to keep reverting to the old number automatically, despite our agents updating the number. We'll look into this. I'll post back when I have any updates to share.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GW
Advanced Tutor

Thank you Liz. If I ever have the time to figure out how to make our cell phones reach the correct county 911 system, I plan to completely dump this landline. I prefer to have this 251-xxx-xxxx number completely exorcised from my Hughesnet account because it can only lead to more problems if not removed.

This is typical data collection and hoarding behavior. Give a system a byte of data 10 years ago and it defends it like bad dog guarding a bone.

Hi GW,

Thank you for your patience while this was investigated. The engineer found the root cause and said it was OK for me to update your number on your account. There's another update on the backend that needs to be done, which should prevent the system from reverting to that old number. I'll check back in on your account in a few days just to make sure. 

Thank you for bringing this to our attention for us to address.

-Liz 

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!