How to Cancel service if no one will answer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChriHughe
New Poster

How to Cancel service if no one will answer

How do I cancel my service if every time I call the automated system hangs up on me saying there is no one there to answer my call?

By law you must provide a way to cancel services. I am calling during normal business hours and am not able to get ANYONE to actually cancel the service.

I do NOT want advice to call.

I do NOT want advice that I MAY have to pay a fee.

I do NOT want advice that I have to return equiptment.

I DO WANT to cancel my service and I am doing everything HughesNet says has to be done to do so, but HUGHESNET is refusing to answer the phone.

What do I do now? Contact a lawyer and stop payment on my cards?

6 REPLIES 6
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@ChriHughe 

Though you may not want advice to call, it's the only way to cancel your service.  

Right now the call centers are overwhelmed.  A much higher call volume and less people to take them. 

Try calling later at night or early in the morning, when the call volume is lower.

maratsade

"By law you must provide a way to cancel services."

They do. You must cancel by phone.

"I am calling during normal business hours and am not able to get ANYONE to actually cancel the service."

They're overwhelmed during normal business hours, but the phone lines are open 24/7. Try at different times.

"What do I do now? Contact a lawyer and stop payment on my cards?"

Neither of those would help. The way to resolve grievances with HughesNet is to go through binding arbitration. The procedure for this is explained in the subscriber agreement.

Stopping payment would put you in collections, and then you'd have lawyers after you.

No lawyers. They don’t do that. But if you can hang on for 6 years - that’s the statute of limitations on a bill. Had to do that to AT&T when they tried to charge me for a phone I never owned.
We have, many many of us, had the same problems with the company. I’ve noticed there are a couple of people on here that phone kiss the company’s techs. They always support the company no matter how many of us have legit complaints.
The internet was built for the kind of situation Covid 19 has put the public in. So there is no excuse. I have called and called and called. The company’s auto answer hangs up on me. There is no way to get a human on the phone. No wonder the rep felt she could promise that I could cancel and not pay for the service if it didn’t work.
maratsade

"No lawyers. They don’t do that."

Oh, but they do.

"The internet was built for the kind of situation Covid 19 has put the public in."

Utter nonsense.

THEY PROMISE ME I COULD CANCEL IF I AM NOT HAPPY WITH IT WITHIN 30 DAYS, **bleep** I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO CANCEL FOR 2 WEEKS AND CANNOT TALK TO ANYONE, BUT THEY DID CHARGE MY CARD WHICH I HAVE CANCEL OUT NOW, THESE PEOPLE ARE A RIP OFF AND I WILL BE POSTING IT ON FB AND THE CREDIT PEOPLE,MOST OF MY EMAILS I SEE HAVE BEEN PUT IN SPAM. I ALSO WILL BE PROTESTING FOR THE BANK TO GET MY MONEY BACK.IF THEY WANTED TO TREAT THE PEOPLE LIKE THEY SAY THEN THEY WOULD CALL US AND DISCUSS IT. THEY ARE DISCONNECTING ALL OF OUR CALLS AND AT THE SAME TIME CHARGING US FOR THIS CRAP.

maratsade

"THEY PROMISE ME I COULD CANCEL IF I AM NOT HAPPY WITH IT WITHIN 30 DAYS,"

There is no 30 day guarantee for HughesNet. If a reseller promised you this, they misinformed you. 

"I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO CANCEL FOR 2 WEEKS AND CANNOT TALK TO ANYONE"

You can only cancel by phone. Lines are open 24/7, so keep trying.