Hughesnet Community

HughesNet Networking FAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JacksonTech

HughesNet Networking FAQ

Since this forum doesn't have a sticky feature, I put some of the most common questions and answers about the HT1000 modem on a single webpage:

http://jacksontech.net/index.php/hugh...

It's a work in progress, so expect it to be updated frequently. Let me know if you have any other topics you'd like to see there.

Does anyone here have a HT1100 modem? Does it act the same as the HT1000 modem in terms of networking?
43 REPLIES 43
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Should be Sticky'd
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Trying to get them to do anything to improve this vanilla looking site is like getting a root canal.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

They have enough "Real Estate" right across the top of the page for at least 6 Hot Topics with the disclaimer "Before You Post"
and "System Notices" drop down, example: "Germantown NOC under 3' of water due to heavy rain, expect slowdowns / service interruptions"
JacksonTech

For what it's worth, it's not actually HughesNet's fault. The problem stems from the underlying service they use:

https://getsatisfaction.com/getsatisf...

I doubt HughesNet can do much unless they host their own support forum using professional software such as vBulletin or free and open-source software such as SMF. (Doing this would also enable private messages and a host of other features...)
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

And I honestly don't think they have the professionals to host their own site.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I bet they could hire a guy like HF (JacksonTech) to do it for a reasonable price.

Stupid not allowing me to edit, as usual.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I just looked at the Mozilla Thunderbird support forum that is "Powered By Get Satisfaction" and it has a very prominent FAQ area.

https://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_m...

Perhaps its just a matter of $$$ spent with GS.
JacksonTech

Added http://jacksontech.net/index.php/hugh... for good measure. I don't know if my explanation works very well, but there you go.

HughesNet has a similar sidebar. I think the administrator can set the contents of these links.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Hughes is most likely subscribed to the el'cheapo version. After all, it is only customer service. Lucky is in English and not Hindi I suppose.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Well I guess this is where we ask Sara to consider our argument that customers may be better served if the site (hosted by GS) was updated to include an obvious Current Issues, FAQ's and so forth.
It certainly seems that that "template" is available form GS.
It certainly would go a long way to centralize redundant posts while still allowing for "individual service" where needed.

Just how many posts are needed to address the issue of Free Zone Time going local for XYZ and below systems as a central point of info, while still allowing for discontent for lack of notification.

As an added, a PM system would be very helpful I'm sure for the less experienced user to be helped one on one by Champs or volunteers.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I suggested PM awhile back. Got the great idea response. Crickets chirping.

This company moves at a snails pace,. Still not getting my PowerPlus 15GB Bonus Bytes. Maybe they are hoping I die first.

Or shut my pie hole.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

To answer the question about the HT1100, networking wise, it is the same as the HT1000. About the only difference I could tell is that it is a beefed up modem.
JacksonTech

Beefed up how? Physically more solid? (The HT1000 is a little bit too light for my taste--it's easy to knock it over especially with the weight of the cables.)
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Cheap Chinese plastic is light. I'm hoping he means circuit wise.
notechsupport2

It's not a question of money with GS. Hughes staff just need to learn how to use it properly.
Sandy MT

Thanks for taking the time to do this! SOOOOO needed!!
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

That's a nice start. Thanks for doing that. You might want to add and FAQ on the web acceleration proxy; what it is, when to disable it, and how.

Latency, VPN, VoIP and Gaming...
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Beefed up as in more RAM (a lot more it seems), not sure about the CPU, but I am going to say that it is also much faster with 80% certainty.... Also has a gigabit port, which, well, has no real point IMO unless you hit some kind of local cache on it. There is also potential for it to act as a print server or a type of NAS in the far future... Though I have doubts about that... Still wish I knew what the USB port was for.

As for the weight, I honestly think it's lighter than the 1000, but from pictures it looks like the coax cable is lower, so not as much stress is on the modem?
JacksonTech

Thanks!

http://jacksontech.net/index.php/arti... is now updated with some information on latency, etc. I haven't actually tried transferring large amounts of data with a VPN, so I don't have any hard numbers to post. I should set up an OpenVPN instance and test it.

I'm not sure how accurate the section on SQF is, but it seems reasonable. What do you think?
JacksonTech

Very interesting. What's the HT1000 have, 128MB? Extra RAM is always good. Same goes for the CPU.

It'd be nice if they would actually give us SSH access to the thing. (You could telnet into the older modems from the customer side.) But I somehow don't see that happening...