cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HughesNet Networking FAQ

Re: HughesNet Networking FAQ

Very interesting. What's the HT1000 have, 128MB? Extra RAM is always good. Same goes for the CPU.

It'd be nice if they would actually give us SSH access to the thing. (You could telnet into the older modems from the customer side.) But I somehow don't see that happening...

JacksonTech - I'm a heavy VPN user. What kind of data are you looking for and how might I capture it for you? I'd be happy to help!!

I was looking for upload/download speed and latency. I don't know what operating system or VPN software you're using, but what I was planning to do:

1) Ping through the VPN tunnel (the software I use, OpenVPN, shows up as a network interface like a normal network card),

2) Download a medium-size (less than 15MB) once or twice file to see what the download rate is, and

3) Figure out some way to test interactivity--maybe an SSH connection over the VPN to see if it's any worse than SSH over satellite (which is pretty hilariously bad already).

Actually I can test another type of "VPN" right now: SSH allows a user to set up an encrypted tunnel and use it as a SOCKS proxy. So I'll try downloading a few files through the SSH tunnel with Firefox. Smiley Happy
Associate Professor

Hi JacksonTech, thanks so much for the great topic! Smiley Happy
Suz
Highlighted

and yes Gwalk - we're considering how we can best feature this information Jackson so eloquently put together. Thank you Jackson.

Sara

Don't forget to pay him copy right fees. Smiley Happy

The easiest way would be just to link to the site. I'd rather not have it mirrored because I keep updating it. If the URL ever changes I'll throw in a redirect, but I doubt it will change. The idea of a permalink is that it's...well...permanent.

Next up: IPv6. I almost have a fully working IPv6 setup at home. Turns out HughesNet actually gives us routed prefixes (multiple subnets too) via prefix delegation!

They can learn from you.
Associate Professor

Told ya they was routable Smiley Wink Though I have learned that certain routers are very poor about IPv6 implementation, especially PFSense and IPCop distros...