Hughesnet Community

I need to cancel service and waive termination fees for inability to provide consistent service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
firedruish
Freshman

I need to cancel service and waive termination fees for inability to provide consistent service

Good Afternoon,

I started my hughes net services on July 9,  2018.  today is Aug 12, 2018 and I want to cancel.  I called to cancel because hughes net has promised me a service that they cant provide when inclement weather happens.  Dish network can provide TV through the same weather that Hughes can't, both are satallite based companies  I have called multiple times, been hung up on 8 separate between separate issues.  The first week I was in SD we got thunderstorms and I was out internet every single night, and hughes net response was tough, It's satellite based.

I am looking at a winter full of rain, snow, snow, hail, sleet, and snow...what kind of service can I get..not enough.  I should be able to cancel and pay shipping only to return my items and move on as I am 33 days in.  Give me a break.  We stream 70-100 gigs a month and you don't even offer that amount.  If I got to winter...4 or 5 months in and cried wolf fine, I would understand more.

Your service techs need work on how they handle these situations seeing that I was hung up today while I was trying to do the right thing instead of being an angry calling customer for no service yet again.

HUGHESNET PROMISES A SERVICE AND A PRODUCT, they can't consistantly provide that service and I should be able to end my services without penalties at 33 days.  especially for what they are charging

6 REPLIES 6
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

To cancel, you will need to call 866-347-3292. You may have to pay an early termination fee if you're still under contract. See http://legal.hughesnet.com/ServiceTermsAndConditions-current.cfm

To avoid equipment charges, you will also need to return the equipment (modem, power pack, and the radio from the dish). You will get a kit to return the equipment when you cancel the account.

Thank you for that information.  I called the number you show above and was told they where going to draft my account 450.00 for a service they can't consistently provide.

If anyone else has any other helpful information...booster...how to waive the fees considering how new of a customer I am...I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

firedruish

maratsade

It is unlikely they will waive the cancellation fee, at least not without troubleshooting to try to improve the issues.  Have you even tried to troubleshoot? You ought to do it here, where you have access to corporate employees.  If you're unwilling to do this, your best bet is to pay the early termination fee as stipulated in your contract.

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

Good Morning,

Thank you for your responses.  I have attempted multiple (x15) calls during service outages.  The techs while willing to help, have the response of inclement weather they can't change.  I ask, what about a credit for no service for 5 consistant days atleast 4 hours a day and they divert to a new topic.  Its now aug, and I have spent over 18  hours on hold, being hung up on and being told to pay 450.00 becuase they cant provide me a service.  I am infuriated, I haven't had this service for 45 days.  According to them I have deal with internet outages constantly or pay 450.00 which is beyond ridiculous!!!!

This week my data reset on Aug 9.  I turned my router off for 2 complete days, and put my sons phone on mobile data.  With the router turned off I ran out of data in 4 days and downgraded to .5 mbs.  including outage for inclement weather with no possible fix from hughes net.  my dishnetwork continues to provide service while the hughes modem is black.  so not only am I down service during inclement weather but something is eating my data, that is not my devices. 

Its only Aug, what is my recourse when the weather changes in South Dakota and it snows or rains for days?

Please help me make this better - Liv

I understand your frustration. We have had the same thing. And it hasn't even been a bad weather day. I do like your idea of turning of service for a few days and seeing if the system uses data. I don't even make it half way through the month before our data gets throttled back. And then I get 5 seconds of show and 10 seconds of loading. We complained but all they will do for us is a little extra data and a credit on our bill. I'm about to be ticked off and cancel to pay the fee and be done with it. Like you said the service techs are nice and try to help...but they can't help the way I would like. which is to get me the service I pay for.

GabeU

@firedruish wrote:

With the router turned off I ran out of data in 4 days and downgraded to .5 mbs. 

To address address data issues such as this, please run a modem isolation test and post the results in a new topic in the Tech Support section.  You can also find help for your apparent connection issues in the same section.

The steps for the modem isolation test are as follows....

Please perform the following test outlined in the graphic below.  This is known as a modem isolation test, and it will help to determine whether the issue is with Hughesnet or your local network.

photo P2hSeDN.jpg1: Disabled the WiFi in the HT2000W modem. 

2: Take a screen capture of the Status Meter.
3: Disconnect the LAN cable from the modem.  
4: Note the date and time of the disconnect; it is best when doing step two to also capture the time displayed on your screen.
5: Leave the LAN cable disconnected from the modem for several hours, HughesNet recommends doing this overnight, or during the day while at work.
6: Reconnect the LAN cable to the modem.
7: Take a screen capture of the Status Meter with the clock displayed on your computer.
8: Post your screens hots to the community.

Please be aware, if you downloaded any large files just prior to this test, or if the disconnect was for an extensive time period, some usage may appear to have occurred, but should be rather negligible. 

If you are unaware of how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" in this PDF.  Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchaining "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).