Hughesnet Community

Install question

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scorpion51

Install question

A week ago Hughes did an install changing me over from DishNet. The modem and the antenna system were change over but the three year old in-ground cabling was not replaced. Should it have been? What are the chances that i will see system problems due to the cabling.  
48 REPLIES 48
Amanda

Hi Kokercey,

Since I am not an expert in this field, I asked for some advice: the installer can test the cable and ensure that if he did not install it, it at least meets Hughes requirements. A note should also be made in your work order that the same coaxial cable was used so that if there is a problem with it in the future, you will not have to pay for it.

I have not checked your order notes, but since we require installation photos of work done, if there is no imaging of the trench work being done by Hughes then our technicians know it was not replaced and the same applies.
We really don't like to rip up a customer's lawn if we don't have to! 🙂

Thanks,
Amanda
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Can you inform of us of the exact minimum requirements for the coaxial cable that Hughesnet allows in installations?  I know its here somewhere, but I can't find it.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Seems like it was quad shield, swept to 3GHZ RG6 with the connectors also rated to pass 3 GHZ.

I THINK there were "approved" manufacturers numbers in the FSB's but those are getting hard to find these days 🙂

I too would like to see some hard specs listed to use as a cross check.

Amanda

Hi Charles and Gwalk,

I am not exactly sure but from my (basic) knowledge of the systems, I believe they have to be rated for high frequency at 3.0GHz or better with a coordinated connector like the "snap and seals"  or aquatights

Amanda
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Pretty sure it's Quad shielded and swept to 3Ghz, couldn't remember if CC was allowed on the center conductor or if it has to be pure copper.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Pure copper from FSB's over the years.

Hard to see them cutting specs as frequencies rise and trans and rcv  are now multiplexed on the same conductor.

Scorpion51

Amanda,
Thanks for your reply. The question of replacing the cable never came up. I was down in the shop during the install , but i never even thought to ask if the cable would be replaced i just thought that it would be. I am not at present having any problems but am thinking i should be proactive and replace it on my own
Amanda

Hi Kokercey,

I am not sure I can recommend doing it yourself - there's some extra things needed like dielectric grease in certain areas, weatherproofing tape, certain amount of torque for tightening the connector, etc. If you aren't too adamant about doing it, we'll replace it for free if something does happen.

Thanks,
Amanda
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

My only words about the torque listed in the books...  Never ever have I seen an installer use a torque wrench to torque the connections to the listed spec, nor the bolts that secure the dish.  They use a wrench till it's just flat out tight, which is a bit... stupid IMO.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I'd be very shocked if even 1 out of a 1000 installers ever use a torque wrench. I'm also talking about the bolt on the mount.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

You mean you don't just "twist'em down" until the lock washer is flat ?

That method really raises havoc with the aim however.

Get the thing peaked real nice and the lose it when doing the "final tighten"  🙂

Amanda

I am sure Alan's guys are good about this, but he also seems to run a tight ship 🙂

Maybe they are intuitive and can sense the amount needed with their feelers??

Amanda
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Hi Amanda !  we thought you guys were all gone and off drinking green Beer

Amanda

Hey Gwalk,

No, but I am pinching everyone who is not wearing green. Beware!
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

If I could sense how tight bolts are when I am rebuilding an engine, I would be in heaven, and very rich.  No more buying torque wrenches and angel gauges when they fail.  Of course we are talking of two entirely different amounts of pressure.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

If I could sense how tight bolts are when I am rebuilding an engine, I would be in heaven, and very rich.  No more buying torque wrenches and angel gauges when they fail.  Of course we are talking of two entirely different amounts of pressure.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I seem to remember when working in the dyno buildup room at Sealed Power that GM would get a little PO'd if you didn't use a torque wrench on their experimental engines.

(it was a real shame to have to take a sledge hammer to those new beauties at the end of an experimental run)

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Amanda, maybe this guy?

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

yup, the main plant in Muskegon MI for 36 years until I retired the first in '05

Rings, cylinder liners and pistons.